Dungeon Master series

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Timmy

Dungeon Master series

Postby Timmy » Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:45 am

Heya all I was scanning the internets for some older classics I enjoyed and found someone had rewritten the Dungeon Master series for modern pc's (the originals started in 1987 for the Commodore Amiga!!). Definately an oldie but goodie imho, classic dungeon exploration in first person. The graphics of course are dated but some of us can still play games without next gen graphics to stare at. You start by choosing 4 heros, then descend into the depths, food and water is an issue, as well as light so you need to manage your resources (although its not as bad as some games where you'll starve in 5 minutes without food) . Some puzzles, the usual spinning floors (to confuse mapping), monsters, traps, etc... not sure but I think the later games added a mapping feature.

K2 I figure you've probably played at least one in this series, might want to grab your graph paper and give em a replay ;)

http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html

Tim~

K2
Administrator

Re: Dungeon Master series

Postby K2 » Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:07 am

Nice find Timmy :) I haven't played this series specifically, but it's very reminiscent of the Eye of the Beholder series from SSI. Played all three of those games, loved 'em. I still have the original box w/ manuals and all the graph paper maps I drew hah :P

Timmy

Re: Dungeon Master series

Postby Timmy » Jul 10th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Yeah Eye was based off Dungeon Master, tons of bad clones out there too. Eye and DM were the only good ones IMHO, what I like about the DM series over the Eye series is not having to enter stupid manual passwords every time you want to save/start.

SSI was really annoying with their copy protection. Really wish someone would redo all the gold box series, I'd love to replay all of them without the joy of reconfiguring my computer, using dos-box, changing settings everywhere, and printing out 500 pages of manuals for the copy protection (some have been cracked at least). They really were good games, and more true to the table top style than later real-time D&D games.

Tim~

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”