WoW or WAR?

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Timmy

WoW or WAR?

Postby Timmy » Aug 15th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I know a bunch of ya'll have played one or the other or both. Anyone still playing either? I'm looking for a P2P rpg to kill some of my free time with, F2P sucks ass or rather cash so I prefer the nice flat fee.

I'd have gone back to Lotro but they're going F2P so they suck now.

Suggestions?

Tim~

KillerClown

Re: WoW or WAR?

Postby KillerClown » Aug 15th, 2010 at 11:18 pm

lol....
Have you actually looked into LotRO's F2P/Pay setup? If you "subscribe" after F2P goes live, not only do you get everything you already have, but you also get 500 points/month to spend in the store. Some things may look a bit odd at a perspective, like VIP get 5 char slots/server (can purchase more), but hell I already have 9 char slots anyway. Only thing left for me to buy is the last expansion, getting close to where it would be useful. You don't generally need the first expansion (Mines of Moria) until you get to 47-50'ish, then you can do the quest chain to gain access to Moria and get a legendary weapon/class item and go back to the older areas and quest up through mid-late 50's. Siege of Mirkwood (the latest expansion) you don't really need until 60 or close to (though the expansion does open up more skirmishes that are available as early as 35 iirc).

Wow is gay, end of story. :P

Warhammer, I haven't check the populations recently, but last time I did they didn't look really promising. Plus I kind of watched it fade out in the SotU forums back when they were playing it, everyone canceled pretty much. I quit/canceled because I was working a lot at the time and they booted me from the guild cause I was gone for a week.

Edit:
To me, the F2P setup, is really biased towards those who pay the monthly VIP fee anyway, the things you miss out on by not sub'ing can suck for people (ie. no monster play, cant spend destiny points). But IMO what adding the F2P side, will help them bring in more subscribers, at least it's an attempt to get more players to come, you'd probably be surprised at the number of people who play any of the 100's of highly active F2P games.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Aug 17th, 2010 at 4:07 pm

WoW is very polished and it's hard not to enjoy it. If you stay away from the forums, you'll be fine. All games have asshats, so that's what the ignore list is for. The Dungeon Finder makes getting a group together easy and you can do some quests while you wait for the queue to pop. If you make a tank, you'll get to dictate your gameplay. WoW gets lots of bad press, but with what's out right now, you won't get any more vale for your money than WoW. The 1-80 game is great too. It's the end game where all styles of QQ come into play and it's easy to find a reason to hate the game. Right now though, it's never been so easy to get great gear and raid as a very casual player. I mean...it's very casual friendly.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Mouser wrote:WoW is very polished and it's hard not to enjoy it. If you stay away from the forums, you'll be fine. All games have asshats, so that's what the ignore list is for. The Dungeon Finder makes getting a group together easy and you can do some quests while you wait for the queue to pop. If you make a tank, you'll get to dictate your gameplay. WoW gets lots of bad press, but with what's out right now, you won't get any more vale for your money than WoW. The 1-80 game is great too. It's the end game where all styles of QQ come into play and it's easy to find a reason to hate the game. Right now though, it's never been so easy to get great gear and raid as a very casual player. I mean...it's very casual friendly.

Yes, unfortunately Blizzard does have things a bit on lockdown, as Mav and I were discussing last night. Original StarCraft has remained massively popular across the world, WoW has had the MMO scene on lockdown for quite a while, as far as populations (but with this you also have to consider the amount of children who play the game), now SC2, future Diabo3....
But none of this changes the fact, WoW is gay.. :P And getting into those dungeons easier doesn't really say you'll get other players that are worth a crap in your groups, especially with all the kids playing. I don't know how or whether they changed the difficulty of some of those dungeons, but last time I played you had to have decent players to get through them. Well really I should say, lat time I played, you had to have GOOD players to get through them, but hell I quit playing back when the cap was still...hmm 60? :P

Edit: An update to LotRO, will be going F2P Sept 10, so less than a month from now.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”