Which game

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

DirtyCabbage

Which game

Postby DirtyCabbage » Dec 31st, 2007 at 1:52 pm

I am trying to decide on a good RPG to get, and would like some opinions please. NWN2 and the expansion, or Elder scrolls 4 and the expansions to that. I have never played either so any help would be appreciated. From what I have read, it looks like the Oblivion game and expansions would be more worth it, but I am somewhat familiar with the NWN games, so I kind've know what to expect with that.

Thanks again.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Its a tough choice between the two, neither one really impressed me. NWN2 imho was a bust, it did nothing to improve on NWN, and to me it seems like it got worse. The campaign is almost as bad as the original as well. Oblivion has lots of positives, but the big negative that killed it for me was the monsters levelling up with you. You'll never be at a point where you can just "own" a lower level area because everything levels with you, add this to the fact that you can "accidentally" level, or level with skills that in no way help you in combat and you can quickly become unable to kill anything. If I had to choose between the two again I'd go with Oblivion, once you get used to the game you can make sure your characters don't get gimped and its pretty fun going. The original campaign gets tedious with all the gates, but the sub-quests, and expansions more than make up for it.

Tim~

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jan 1st, 2008 at 12:13 am

Timmy never played the expansion for NWN2 (mask of the betrayer). OEI finally got it right that time, makes NWN2 a lot more enjoyable. Plus, I doubt he played with any of the great player-made additions that enhance the game even further. Do that, and NWN2 is a rock-solid game. The player made content is what made NWN so popular in the first place; that community is still going strong, and NWN2 has a solid and growing base as well.

Oblivion is fine, too, but it's different in that you have an FPS style interface, and it's also open-ended, which I like.

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”