Tabula Rasa

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Maverick
Elite Member

Tabula Rasa

Postby Maverick » Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:07 am

Has anyone played this yet? Or has an opinion?

I'm tempted to try it out.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:20 am

I played all beta stages, was pretty fun...All I did was solo thuogh.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Nov 9th, 2007 at 10:03 am

Was eh when I installed the beta. Interface was still clunky, quests were bugged, and the information was subpar. Uninstalled in 30 minutes of trying it out.

NeoBob
Fresh Meat

Postby NeoBob » Nov 9th, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I wasnt to impressed by the beta. Plus, once I realized all of the keyboard shortcuts were the same as WoW the whole WoW interface knockoff became pretty clear and soured the whole experience for me too.

See this review for an excellent opinion:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... abula-Rasa

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 10th, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Hmm, personally I don't get the WoW feel at all with the game, they really have very little in common besides the fact it's a 'leveling' type game. And that video was pretty lame... :P

The interface feels nothing like wow to me. All newer game interfaces are knockoffs of some other games setup in general, IMO.
Getting used to the setup (interface) of TR may take a little time, but once you do it's really not that complicated.

As for the video:
I personally feel that if you highly dislike the idea of paying monthly for a game to begin with, and you exert that ideal prior to anything else in your review, that you discredit yourself, because you have already given yourself a 'reason' to dislike any subscription based game, and you're just looking to add fuel to the fire at that point.

I would always suggest trying it, as with any game, some people will like it where others won't, and every individual person has likes/dislikes to any game.
If my account is still active in TR you're free to try it out Mav, I have a level 10 char or something like that, don't remember exactly with wipes, etc, will find out whenever this thing finishes updating the game. :P
Edit: And it's not active, oh well.. :o

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/832711p1.html

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Anybody else playing this game currently?

It's definately not WoW-like. I consider it more of a cross between Anarchy Online and City of Heroes.
-Edmund Burke

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:53 pm

This game is pretty good and I'm about to have to decide if I wanna start paying or cancel.
-Edmund Burke

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:17 am

Mav, how often do you play? If you play reliably enough that I wouldn't be running around by myself most of the time, I would be willing to give it a shot. Hell, I picked up FFXI for 360 for $20 the other day and have been checking that out again. That should tell you how much I am looking for something new to play, other than WoW. :)

Of course, you would have to be willing to start over with me, fgt!

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Dec 6th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Wid: clicky.

-G.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 6th, 2007 at 6:38 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Mav, how often do you play? If you play reliably enough that I wouldn't be running around by myself most of the time, I would be willing to give it a shot. Hell, I picked up FFXI for 360 for $20 the other day and have been checking that out again. That should tell you how much I am looking for something new to play, other than WoW. :)

Of course, you would have to be willing to start over with me, fgt!

-Wid

Wid I can't guarantee reliable playing time but the game is very casual friendly and I'm willing to start over. The only day I can guarantee I could play is Sundays. Every other day will be off and on.

I think it's a game worth at least checking out for the duration of the free trial. Granted you should probably be into the sci-fi theme as well.
-Edmund Burke

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Just picked up the game today, installing now. After going thru the manual I think I'll end up being an Exobiologist.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 13th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Sinned which server do you play on? I think I started on a East Coast server.
-Edmund Burke

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Dec 13th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I'm on a west coast one, i forgot the name of it, it's starts with a C thats all i remember lol, whats the name of your server, I'll re-roll on there im only level 4 anyways

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:16 am

Don't worry about it Sinned because I was gonna re-roll as well.

I'm away from home so can't check what server.
-Edmund Burke

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Dec 14th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

I picked this up too, I remember seeing a preview for it way back in the beginning of the year and I kinda just lost track of it.

I thought it had a very interesting idea so I'm gonna check it out :) I rolled on Pegasus, I'm about as far East as you get in FL heh.

MeM

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Pegasus server too.
-Edmund Burke

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Ok I rolled on Pegasus, my name is Sinned Reworb

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Dec 17th, 2007 at 6:54 pm

This game is actually pretty neat :) I don't think it has the long term playability of the big hitters but it's a very nice mix of casual play and Sci Fi story to keep me interested.

First impressions: I'm a level 18 commando so far. The leveling in the game goes in tiers, I have 1 tier left where at 30 I'll get to choose to be a Grendier or ummm I forget the name and it's not really important. (lev 50 max as far as I know)

Anyway first impressions, the class system is interesting each class has specific armors and weapons they can use which makes for some interesting combos (but nothing truley unique unfortunately) There will be small varations of course and since you keep the types of armor you could previously use you could have multiple builds and setups.

The stories are hit and miss, there are some nice quest lines where you get to do some different things other than run here slaughter this bring this here talk to this person here. Of course the latter is in the game or they would run out of content, but there have already been a few unique quest ideas and actual choices of how to continue, not in a bad guy good guy sense but make a judgement call and possibly disappoint one person. I really love the back story and opening cinematic, it seems like the guy created a neat idea for a sci fi world. The alien race has installed a "power" in select humans is by no means a new idea but it plays out very well in this game so far.

The game itself is beautiful, my only real gripe with the environment itself so far is you can jump about 20 feet in the air but you can't run up certain hills or jump up them... so your forced onto paths that could be 40 paces or so away and stuck running in circles sometimes trying to find a way "up" (down is easy there is fall damage but I've only fallen to my death once and I knew it was coming lol) There are enemy barrages and dropships and capture points and some interesting side things to do although grinding off mobs alone in this game would be EXTREMELY dull. Yes there are nice toys and guns and some skills to play with as far as fighting goes but I feel the game is very light in this area. They could do so much more but I feel like even with all the different effects and guns there is not enough as far as combat goes. I'd take WoW's wide arrange of skills and strategies anyday, it's not only that this is too simple (physical resist, uh oh pop out my laser and crouch...) but quite bland as far as real strategy combat goes for a real time combat game I would expect more (granted again, I'm only level 18.)

Anyway, I've killed the last 10 minutes at work, this is only first impressions. A final quick hitter would be the crafting is almost utterly useless so far at my level and there is far too much junk :) (but this holds true for most games, I'm on Timmy's side when I want a game where a crafter's hard work and time invested actually accounts for better items than these puny quests and mob drops) As far as I know crafting only modifies weapons/armor and creates consummables.

The game would be fun in groups as the best times I've had as with most games comes with slaughtering the masses in small skirmish groups runnin around destroying a map or warzone :)

Overall fun and definite try for anyone with an itch for Sci Fi guns blazing RPG.

I've seen Sinned and KC, haven't seen you Mav!! I messed up kinda and my name is MemGhost Hardfought ... I didn't realize everything was based off your last name so if your trying to add me you have to search "Hardfought" ... sorry K2 please don't sue me!! ;)

MeM

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Dec 18th, 2007 at 1:42 am

I'm really liking this game, I like being able to login and do a quick mission and get a ton of XP without a lot of grinding. I need to spend some more time in the game tho, so I can catch up to you MeM then we could group up if needed and I can be your healbot.

Also I didn't know KC played, whats your in-game name?

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Feb 27th, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Shit, been a while since I've really logged into the forums rofl.

I don't recall what my in-game name is/was... lol
Most likely it was Maestrok Provale, or some other Provale..

I actually just bought the full version last week (only beacuse I found a Special Edition for about $25 w/ shipping), haven't had time to play yet, but I was thinking about it...You guys still playing?

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Feb 27th, 2008 at 10:07 pm

nope I dont play anymore, game just got boring to me a little to repetative for me, even for an MMO. Went back to WoW recently transfered my priest to Skywall and rerolled a hunter to 70 in 7 days /played also currently working on a pally who is almost 60 right now.

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”