Gothic 3

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Timmy

Gothic 3

Postby Timmy » May 6th, 2007 at 1:05 am

I picked this one up today, looked like Oblivion without the lame skills/level crap. My portable desktop has more than double the recommended specs yet it runs like crap with almost the lowest settings. Tons of graphic skips.....

I ended up removing it out of frustration.

T~

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Aug 18th, 2008 at 11:47 am

Loaded this one again to give it a fair shot, I reduced most of the settings to low so it would be playable. It's not Crysis graphics-wise but it runs pretty much like it, I'd assume the code or whatever in the game is very messy, it should run well considering it's pretty much like oblivion graphics-wise but it runs waaay worse.

Combat is pretty lame, you have strikes and parries, but the parries are so slow and inneffective you pretty much just spam offense and pray. Most fights have you against multiple opponent, add in the lack of any real defense and you get dead ALOT. I pretty much used terrain exploits to kill almost every enemy I came across, the AI will give up chase if they don't get too close and wander back so you can missile plink any enemy where you have decent room to run and make them give up. Skills and stats have to be taught by trainers, and every trainer wants you to do something for them first so you'll be 3-5th level before you can train anything useful. I really don't see the use of melee at all since multiple opponents + melee = cheap death. Oh also animals and critters are more dangerous than humanoids since humanoids will try to use defensive manuevers (works as good for them as it does you) where critters will just spam attack you.

Magic is in the game but you won't get to use anything other than a few scrolls til maybe mid-game, which by then you would have spent skill points raising skills you could actually use.....

Lots of graphic bugs, wolves (maybe due to being lower to the ground) can run through most boulders, and sometimes under the ground, great fun getting bit by something you can't see. Arrows will hang in midair after "striking" a tree thats actually a foot to the left/right, this happens alot, seems most objects take up more space than the appear to visually.

It has an interesting story, the factions are better than Oblivion, and it looks like it had a good idea, just really bad implimentation puts this one slightly above Two Worlds.

BTW, this game got 8 out of 10 or higher on pretty much every rating of it. Leads me to believe the raters don't really play the games......

I give it a 3 for good idea but horrid execution, at least it wasn't totally overhyped like Two Worlds was.

Tim~

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”