Rappelz

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

haplo
Fresh Meat

Rappelz

Postby haplo » Apr 26th, 2007 at 11:50 am

http://rappelz.gpotato.com/

Free MMO that some friends and I are playing right now. Check it out, the forums/faq is pretty in depth on the basics of the game.

Oh, it moves like Diablo, it's point & click, not like your normal WASD movement.

-Alex
-Bullet Sponge-

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Apr 28th, 2007 at 10:17 am

I played Rappelz Epic III beta, before LotRO beta started and I played that...Rapp definitely isn't what most peopel are looking for, it's a bit older style.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Timmy

Postby Timmy » May 7th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I'm downloading it now, looked pretty interesting. I don't know why KC thinks no one would be interested, it's free that alone should draw a few people :)

T~

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 7th, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Well, because it isn't a game that most people would care to play, the gameplay is a bit slower than most games of it's type.

And the biggest problem is reflected by what you said...
that alone should draw a few people

A few people isn't going to make the game worthwhile. It can definitely draw your interest in, for a short while, but beyond that.....

Edit: And to add to this...sure it's free, until you want to buy something from the Item Shop, which costs REAL MONEY, and just like all the other games of this sort, most people will not want to invest money into items like that.

I've played more games than most people even know exist, and it's the same everytime you get a game like this...you have a few people who buy the items and get ll 'ubered' out while the rest don't care to spend money and therefore leaves the game lacking of players.

This game is basically a sort of 'ripoff' of Knight Online..

Timmy

Postby Timmy » May 8th, 2007 at 12:40 am

First impression is it's interesting, but thats mostly because I haven't played a MMO in over a year. Levelling is a grind, worse than DaoC. My chosen class of Hakuna although it's a mage, spends WAY more time meleeing than blasting out spells. I have all of two offensive spells at 13th level (17th overall) that take way to long before I can cast them again, yaya me I'm a staff fighter with a few spells..... I could kite but I do more damage in melee than with spells. On a more possitive note, I haven't seen anything that needed real money to buy looking really uber, like you'd be at a huge dissadvantage without it.

No crafting either that I've seen...

T~

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 9th, 2007 at 12:34 am

I had/have 3 characters that are 20 something each, a Kahuna, Holy Warrior, and Strider.

You wouldn't think those items matter but later on they will make a bigger difference when leveling etc. I just broswed through a few and saw some that would make a large difference in your leveling ability IMO. No to mention weapon/armor/item combos you can buy...
The cheapest package deal is [ II ]Warriors Package Special Edition @ 5500GP, 5500GP costs $50 (if you use paypal, 6000GP for $50 ukash or paybycash payments). That's a bit pricy for a sword, a cloak, and some banana cake...but for the advantage it's probably worth it.

I've just seen too many of these pay for item games, and the monthly membership fee games are more popular 90% of the time.

It was a decent game though, didn't mean to deny it of that, even though the gameplay was a little slower it still was fun to kite orange mobs halfway across the map. :P (Btw, if you do that with a Kahuna you would get about 2 mobs before you run OOM, you can nearly chain kill the white/yellows easily (even kiting), orange is usually more than you should try as it will take more power/life to do it with long downtimes, with either type of class mage or tank).

To me I woudl think the game be best summed up as a Japanese style MMO with Knight Online-like graphics (a little better than KO probably).

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”