Warhammer Online hands-on preview

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I'll PM ya whenever I get home again...gonna be out of town for a week or so.

But it's definitely gonna be one of the evil races. I really like what they are doing there.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Apr 23rd, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I should be hopping on board with this beta in the next month or so, ordered a few of the comic books coming with promotional keys, and I also pre-ordered the collectors edition, so, very soon, hopefully.. :P

On another note, just signed up for the Age of Conan beta...damn download is 12.59GB...

Current Associations:
Veteran WAR Newsletter Subscriber
Collectors Edition Pre Order

:D :D
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Apr 25th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I've been following both games with somewhat interest. Mainly trying to pick through the fanbase buzz and see potential. Age of conan appears to be trying to break the mold in a lot of areas I like some of the ideas but I think release could have major early issues. Warhammer like Timmy said is dangerous because of the company but I think they may have learned more from earlier go rounds in Daoc and will have less issues in the early running.

Who knows :)

MeM

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 22nd, 2008 at 4:30 am

The things that stood out the most to me for Age of Conan is:
1. The most obvious and 'in-touch'. The combat system is completely different, it's still ideally just pressing buttons, but it also deals with timing and technique (There is no auto-attack mode at all).
2. My Favorite: The graphics, especially the armors/weapons, are pretty awesome, detailed and realistic.

AoC: Combat System
[video width=400 height=350]http://www.youtube.com/v/dAzH5gmlJF4&fmt=18[/video]

I liked AoC but I won't buy it, not really complicated but seems like a lot of excess buttons to me.

Some interesting videos for Warhammer:
1. Cities
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/ ... ities.html

2. Guilds
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/ ... uilds.html

3. Closed Beta Footage
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/ ... _VotM.html

To me the cities concept sounds pretty sweet, probably one of my favorites so far. RVR/Guild systems sound a lot like DAoC.
It does have a kind of WoW'ish look, but still a little more realistic.

I thought I heard a while back that Warhammer was Mythic's baby and that EA wasn't going to mess with it?
Hell, I didn't really think DAoC had a lot of issues, beyond class balance, which is pretty much the biggest challenge in these games IMO. And even a lot of that is merely people crying because they can't 1vs1 some other class (like a priest class crying because he can't kill a warrior) when these games aren't even really based on 1vs1, it's an MMO, made for groups of people to play together. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 9th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

So I hear this game goes gold on September 18th...

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

K2 wrote:So I hear this game goes gold on September 18th...

Yeah, already pre-ordered the game just waiting for open beta now

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Aug 10th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I so wanted this game to be the next big thing...but I've been in the beta for a few months and the game has consistently underwhelmed.

That being said, I won't buy this game right away. I'm gonna give it about 2 months to see if it has any staying power. Then decide if I wanna pay for it.
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 11th, 2008 at 12:06 am

Should you really be surprised about that Mav? There isnt an MMO out right now that is truly unique - they're all variations on the same theme. EQ was the shit because it was the first, but I remember a lot of people dropping it for Asherons Call and then saw the mass exodus over to DAoC, which had the first unique spin on PvP.

Some could argue that Ultima Online was the first, but I dont think that qualifies under 'MMO' in the sense we're discussing.

Regardless - same game, different spin to it.

So what do you guys think would really make a bona fide unique MMO nowadays? What would it have to do or feature?

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Aug 11th, 2008 at 3:28 am

MMORPG will always stay a MMORPG. I mean you can only think of so many rpg spinoffs.

If anything take it off the "earth". Make it bigger. Something like KOTOR MMO or something(though I'd hate to see kotor 3 as MMO).
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:52 am

Pred, that's Eve Online, and the soon to be released Star Trek MMO (takes place X number of years after the last ST:TNG movie). What sucks about Eve (I dont play it, but two of my soldiers do) is that you never ever leave your ship. You cant explore shit.

Rumor has it that Bioware's MMO in development will be set in the Star Wars era.

I get what you're saying though. Maybe something that was much more open-ended, and a world that could generate random events on the fly based on the actions (or inaction) of it's players.

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Aug 11th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I read something a few weeks ago that Bioware is working on an KOTOR MMO

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Aug 11th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Well from what I understand EVE is kind of all about your ship. While KOTOR can be about your character perhaps with little ship upgrades.

Yea, I've heard about the Star Wars mmo, i think it'll be kotor 3 + kotor MMO, which i highly doubt will be any good. Nothing good ever came from dual development/production.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Aug 11th, 2008 at 9:47 pm

a sandbox MMO is hard to do since there's so many variables to try to account for and balancing issues...which will never fully be resolved. You can only balance a game so much, but a sandbox really blows that out of the water. I'd love to see a true sandbox MMO, but I think it's still a ways off. Not that it can't be done now, but there's really a lot of resources that would be needed and a commitment from a major software player...which is hard to get since they are making money hand over fist playing it safe.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Aug 12th, 2008 at 9:52 pm

UO still has the best implimentation. Sure its all fucked up now that EA tried to make it more like warcrap (ie artifact items galore, and lame ass quests, and neverending skill reworks), but skill based characters rock. Even if a select skill gets gimped you can retinker your character rather than the usual dump and reroll of the level based crap. Also while certain character styles might be the latest vogue in the game, there are at least half a dozen skill mixes that are viable in pvp, and more if you're willing to do the extra work. The problem is EQ, once that crap started and people actually enjoyed level/item grinding that's become the formula for EVERY game since, the only real differences are speed of levelling, and items grinded for. Darkfall is basically early UO in 3D, all skill based, full pvp/looting, only problem is its never going to come out, and full pvp/looting doesn't work, no one wants to be the good guys.....

Personally I don't think PVP needs to be balanced, archtypes just need to be dumped in favor of skill based. Its the forced character paths that create all the balance problems.

Tim~

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Aug 19th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

So i got accepted into the closed beta, and I got to say I am having a blast. So far I have a lvl 10 Warrior Priest and a 10 Chaos Chosen. Coming from AoC this game seems far more complete and enjoyable, hopefully there is some endgame raid content that will be challenging, unlike AoC where my guild cleared all of Tier 1 within a week, and Tier 2 soon after...

The graphics far exceeded my expectations, I kept reading about these cartoony graphics and comparing it to WoW, but it's not like that I would say it's near the 3D quality of LOTRO .

Combat is simple, for melee classes you have action points and each attack uses a certain amount. Regen rate on the action points are fast. On the warrior priest healer, you use Action Point attacks to build up Righteous Fury points which is used for healing. Havn't tried a caster yet so I dont know if they use Action Points also or mana.

PVP is a blast, the scenario pvp minigames are quick. the one I kept playing was a kind of like Arathi Basin in WoW, except only 3 capture points, and the middle capture point is double the points of the outer capture points. goal is to reach 500 points. the games go by pretty quick. and they added a 15 minute timer which is nice, no more stalemate 40minute games :\
RVR is chaotic and fun as hell like in DaOC , only had the chance to try out 1 RvR area so far and it gets pretty crazy lol

thru PvP you gain Renown Points and Renown Rank, with the renown points you get to spec into Renown talents which add to your toons stats, such as +strength etc these stats stick to your character and apply to PvE aswell as PvP, you can respec these also if you want. with the Renown Rank once you hit rank 10 you can buy tier 1 PvP gear, havnt gotten past that yet so not much info here.

ok thats all from me time to get back into the game lol. hope to see you guys online

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Aug 19th, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Mouser wrote:a sandbox MMO is hard to do since there's so many variables to try to account for and balancing issues...which will never fully be resolved. You can only balance a game so much, but a sandbox really blows that out of the water. I'd love to see a true sandbox MMO, but I think it's still a ways off. Not that it can't be done now, but there's really a lot of resources that would be needed and a commitment from a major software player...which is hard to get since they are making money hand over fist playing it safe.

Havent played San Andress Multiplayer have we? They have RP servers. Kinda like WoW but in the San Andreas environment. But ur right cuz SA:MP only has like 300 player server max so its not MMO. But closest thing i have found to true sandbox MMO. BTW the mp mods for the GTA's are the reason they havent released GTA4 for PC

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I pre ordered this, it looks interesting and I've had a recent MMO craving and some extra spare time on my hands lately. What do you think of the game Sinned you have a guild moving over? These games are always only fun with the right mix of people.

I've been reading some of the information online about classes and things of the sort doing some research I do like a lot of their world PvP settings and things going on. I'm thinking of a ranged class, mage, or healer at this point but I defintely want to get in with some good people :)

MeM

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Aug 27th, 2008 at 1:06 am

MeMGhost wrote:I pre ordered this, it looks interesting and I've had a recent MMO craving and some extra spare time on my hands lately. What do you think of the game Sinned you have a guild moving over? These games are always only fun with the right mix of people.

I've been reading some of the information online about classes and things of the sort doing some research I do like a lot of their world PvP settings and things going on. I'm thinking of a ranged class, mage, or healer at this point but I defintely want to get in with some good people :)

MeM

I know a few people from the guild I was with in AOC were moving over to Warhammer. Would be fun to raid with them again, knocked out content so quickly, which can lead to the game getting boring quick lol. But the RvR in the game should keep nights interesting. Another guild I was in is doing a big move over to WAR, but they are playing Order, and I am going to play Destruction, probably a Chaos Chosen.

Mage's in the game are pretty OP, just sit in the back line and nuke away, have to be careful tho because when you cast a spell, the spell has a chance of doing a small bit of damage to you, so just keep an eye on your HP lol.

for server selection, I dont believe they have named servers yet, but I am going to a PvP server, since this game is based more on PvP

wish the servers were back up, I have to wait till they open them for the upcoming open beta

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

MeMGhost wrote:I pre ordered this, it looks interesting and I've had a recent MMO craving and some extra spare time on my hands lately. What do you think of the game Sinned you have a guild moving over? These games are always only fun with the right mix of people.

MeM

Sup Mem long time no see.

I've was in the closed beta but wasn't impressed early on and haven't really played in the last couple of months. But since it seems so many people are gonna be on board at launch. I'm gonna give it a try too.

I too would like to join with a guild if possible.
-Edmund Burke

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Heya Mav,

I'm always around just less vocal as of late :) Had a bunch of crazyness at work and they sent me all over the place training agents for a mass hiring spree lol I went from PA to Cali for 4 weeks at a time 3 different times this year and it's finally settled down now I'm home and bored more on the weeknights :)

When I was traveling I was reading about AoC and got sucked into parts of their "new" ideas and let me tell you I didn't make it through the free month before I canceled lol that game is so borked it's not funny :)

Anyway yeah I'm really interested in this game and playin with old and new friends I had a decent guild on AoC but that game was run worse than any other MMO I've played (I haven't played as many as everyone here I'm sure but I'm not giving a company money who continually underperforms)

Anyway Sinned and Mav, I'm in the open beta due to pre order and I even got that headstart thing with my order so just PM hit me up or whatever if you got some friends and a server picked out and all.

MeM

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Aug 27th, 2008 at 7:52 pm

From what I read AoC pretty much scrapped every "revolutionary" idea they had in order to release faster, and dumbed it down for a broader market.

I love stupid releases, LoTRo did something similar, although they just didn't do the high end content and put about 15 minutes of work into the pvp stuff. 3-4 weeks into the game even the non-power levelling crowd were wondering what the hell they were supposed to do after 35th level.

Tim~

SinneD

Postby SinneD » Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Timmy wrote:From what I read AoC pretty much scrapped every "revolutionary" idea they had in order to release faster, and dumbed it down for a broader market.

I love stupid releases, LoTRo did something similar, although they just didn't do the high end content and put about 15 minutes of work into the pvp stuff. 3-4 weeks into the game even the non-power levelling crowd were wondering what the hell they were supposed to do after 35th level.

Tim~

AoC was fun at first, till you hit level 50 and pretty much had to grind to 80 with the lack of quest, good thing I was an OP Tempest of Set and hit 80 within a week of release lol. and the raid content or lack there of was kind of a joke with the way healing worked, all heals are HoT based so bosses didnt do much damage. so you just stack the 3 different HoT's every 15 seconds then dps away. Melee combat is interesting at first with the combat system, but made it fairly frustrating to PvP and do raids when mobs/people are constantly moving.
I wont even get into PvP since they pretty much didnt have anything implemented at release, except 2 senarios that hardly anyone played, and the Siege PvP didnt even work.

Warhammer is looking much better at release than AoC did, Im sure there are still some bugs and what not but I havnt come across any yet

Shinigami

Postby Shinigami » Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Elder beta tester here, the game has potential, worth a buy for the free month at least. RvR isn't as good as DaoC (never really will be without three factions), but worlds better than WoW.

Fairly balanced (group combat at least), graphics are good, UI is responsive and not too cumbersome (there will be mod support).

My WoW guild wants to go order, but I like the feel of chaos ( but it might be overpopulated like albs were on Guin).

Oh, and hi old HFers....

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Game looks a lot better than the last time I played...like 2 months ago.

Order ftw. Inc Dorf Ironbreaker!
-Edmund Burke

MeMGhost

Postby MeMGhost » Sep 4th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Haha splits of order and chaos peeps on here :)

I like classes on both sides so who wants to buy my services!! Hmm maybe I shouldn't say that here ...

Either way pre order so I'll be in the open beta and even got a head start key which I could care less for I always level at my own pace, sometimes crazy speed sometimes no speed hah!

After my AoC experience you could place a shiny turd on my PC screen and I would marvel at how well it moved on screen and didn't cause a RAM leak and crash.

I relate AoC to what crackheads probably feel minus the addiction, it's pretty and feels new then you realize you just got DICKED out of your time and money.

MeM

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”