Guild Wars Nightfall/Wintersday Updates

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Guild Wars Nightfall/Wintersday Updates

Postby Oreo » Dec 17th, 2006 at 6:02 pm

On December 20th there will be a large update in guild wars.

It will include changes such as:

- a new party creation mode, making it easier to find capable parties for some of the harder missions and more rounded parties. As for more information on this, I do not have.

-reconnect after disconnect. if for any reason you get dropped from your party and you reconnect to guild wars within 10 minutes, you will rejoin your team and connect on the place you were last standing. (hooray?)

-huge skill rebalance

-wintersday event:

Wintersday is almost upon us. That time of the year when the gods Dwayna and Grenth fight over who will control the weather during the coming months. Will Grenth have his way and plunge the world into eternal winter or will Dwayna be able to melt enough hearts to bring about an early thaw? You will have the final say as the gods vie for your vote during the grand finale.

The Wintersday event begins on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 and runs for 13 days, with the grand finale taking place on Monday, January 1, 2007. During the event, the cities of Kamadan, Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge, and Ascalon City will shine like beacons in the winter night sky with festive, Wintersday decorations, while holiday NPCs walk the streets lending their holiday spirit to this jolly season.

In addition to the grand finale, with its promise of flowing (and dropping) presents, citizens of these cities will be invited to participate in special holiday quests, missions, and games, all with their own rewards. And don't be surprised if a snowball fight breaks out before the end of the festival.

So, mark your calendars and be sure to show up for another special Wintersday event in the world of Guild Wars. It promises to be the event of the season!

Holiday Events

Even before the grand finale, wherein Dwayna and Grenth promise the crowds gifts to gain their favor, Wintersday will provide many opportunities for wintry fun and presents. Here's what you can expect:

The return of two well-known Wintersday quests, which give you the chance to side with Grenth and his grentchies or Dwayna and her snowmen even before their final showdown. Unsure of which deity to support? Try both quests to pick your favorite!

New for this Wintersday season are two all new quest chains revolving around the two competing holiday gods. Polar bears, reindeer, and devious presents – Oh my!

Venture into the Underworld for a series of repeatable snowball fights against either the forces of Grenth or the forces of Dwayna. Take control of piles of presents to ensure your side’s victory in this frosty fray.

For another dose of snowball mayhem, try out the PvP snowball fight. Random forces will unite within an arena to fight for either Grenth or Dwayna. The first team to gather five presents for its patron deity will win the day.

And, if you believe the old adage that it is better to give than to receive, try your hand at the city event game in Lion’s Arch, Droknar’s Forge, Kamadan, and Ascalon City during the festivities. Deliver presents to the children before the grentchies destroy Wintersday. And you never know, the little urchins might just reward you with something special for your generosity.

Holiday Rewards

In addition to the seasonally appropriate headwear you can receive from either Dwayna or Grenth at the end of the grand finale, here are some other gifts and items you might see during the Wintersday festival:

Winter Gift: What surprise will you find inside? "Unwrap" it to find out.

Snowman Summoner: Need an instant snowman? This gift is for you.

Eggnog: The holiday season's staple drink.

Spiked Eggnog: A more potent glass of nog for the hale and hearty. Please imbibe responsibly—don't drink and quest.

Green Candy Cane: The return of the adventurer's favorite candy treat.

Rainbow Candy Cane: A different flavor of candy cane that should also make those long days of questing much more enjoyable.

Yuletide Tonic: Drink this tonic if you want to be one of Dwayna's little helpers during the festivities.

Frozen Globs of Ectoplasm: You'll need some of this collectible item when you get low on Yuletide Tonic.

Candy Cane Shards: Collect these colorful fragments by questing and competing. The outcome of Wintersday hangs in the balance, and your contribution of Candy Cane Shards may make all the difference. Besides, you never know what somebody might trade for these once the festivities come to a close. Tip: Hold onto those shards until the Wintersday finale and use them for good (or mischievous) intent!

Fruitcake: A tasty holiday staple that is sure to put a little spring in your step.

Special Rewards: In the tradition of the season, you'll receive special headgear during the Wintersday finale. And even better, you'll get a new means of storing it, as well.

We look forward to seeing you in the Wintersday Event, and welcoming you to another year of fun and frolicsome festivities!

Some screenshots of wintersday, for those that enjoy festival games it looks like there are 9 rings in Kamadan. (and lion's arch)

If you enjoy guild wars, don't miss out on this event! It's going to be 12-13 days of craziness. Tons of quests, items, and decorations for the event.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:12 am

Well at least they did what looks like some useful updates, every other game I've played that did holiday stuff, usually just wasted all their time doing the holiday stuff and not updating the games. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Dec 20th, 2006 at 7:25 pm

Is this for all of guiltwars, or just nightfall?

monica

Postby monica » Dec 20th, 2006 at 8:50 pm

pretty sure its all guild wars cuz i dont have nightfall and i can see wintersday and the new party system

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:50 pm

This update is Guild Wars "core" related.

Here is a full official update list:

Fixed a bug that prevented players from winning in some of the Heroes' Ascent battles.
Fixed a bug that caused players to be kicked from the "Dwayna vs. Grenth" Snowball Arena if they hadn't yet unlocked boat travel.
Added a Wintersday Priest to the outpost for the "Dwayna vs. Grenth" Snowball Arena. This NPC teleports players back to their most recently visited outpost or town.
Added a Search button to the Party panel.

Wintersday Festival

Wintersday approaches, can you all see the signs?
The grentchies and the snowmen will soon all align.
For a battle in the end is what we shall face;
To determine the wintery fate of the whole human race.

Dwayna and Grenth will vie for our favor;
Through threats and presents of a wintergreen flavor.
In the end one shall win, one shall surely prevail;
And the length of the winter is the final detail.

So stock up on snowballs and clear all your packs;
For gifts of all sorts will rain down on your backs.
And if you should see a small urchin or three;
Remember the spirit of the season — 'Tis better to give than receive.

The Wintersday Festival has arrived! Kamadan, Lion’s Arch, Droknar’s Forge, and Ascalon City are decorated for the occasion, and over the coming days, holiday activities will begin as special guests arrive to join the fun. Everything leads up to the big Winterday celebration on January 1, which will take place every three hours in Lion’s Arch and Kamadan (on the hour in Lion’s Arch and 15 minutes past the hour in Kamadan). Be sure to collect Candy Cane Shards for use in the big celebration!

Party Search
The new Party Search panel allows you to advertise when you’re looking for a group to join, and to search for other players and parties to join you. With the Party Search panel, you can join up with other players even when they are in a different district from you.
In any town or outpost, press ‘P’ to bring up the new Party Search panel.
If you’re the leader of your party, or if you’re not in a party (all solo players are treated as parties of one), you can use the “Seek Party” checkbox to add your group to the list of available players and parties, and to advertise what you’re looking for.
As a party leader, you can select another group and click “Join” to propose merging with that group. After clicking “Join”, you will see a question mark icon next to that group indicating that you are waiting for a response from them, and they will see an icon next to your group indicating that you have invited them.
If you receive an invitation from another group, you can select that group and click “Join” to accept the invitation, merging the two groups.
If you accept an invitation to join a group which is currently in a different district from you, your group will automatically travel to the other district. If you are alone, you will travel immediately upon clicking “Join”. If you have other people traveling with you, the game will provide a 10-second countdown and give each player the option of canceling.

Reconnect After Disconnect
While playing in a mission, explorable area, or PvP game, if your game client loses its connection to the Guild Wars game servers due to Internet connectivity issues, or if the game client or your computer crashes, you will have the opportunity to reconnect to the game servers and resume exactly where you left off, for a period of ten minutes after the disconnection.
During that ten minute period, your character will remain in the world. If your character was performing an action like attacking or spell-casting at the moment of disconnection, your character will complete the action. If your character was in a party, the other members of your party will be notified of the disconnection.
You must reconnect from the same computer that you were playing on when the connection was lost.

New Titles
The new Commander title track is available to players who compete in Hero Battles. Players receive one point toward the Commander title for each victory.
The new Gamer title track is available to players who compete in Snowball Fights and other holiday-themed games. During the Wintersday Festival, players who compete in Snowball Fights receive 10 points for each victory. Other holiday event games will be scored differently.

Other Updates
The Guild Wars Official In-Game Store now sells the 2006 edition of Guild Wars (original Prophecies campaign), which has been available at major retailers since its release in early 2006, and is called Game of the Year Edition in America and One Million Edition in Europe. The 2006 edition contains seven bonus items that were not part of the original Guild Wars box. Players who purchased Guild Wars (original Prophecies campaign) through the in-game store since its launch there in July will receive a free upgrade, and other players who own the original Guild Wars can choose to upgrade through the in-game store for a small fee.
Demo accounts can no longer trade or drop items, to reduce the use of demo accounts by commercial gold/item farmers.
Characters that come to Elona from a foreign land now get Heroes that start at level 15, and can play two new quests, Securing Champion's Dawn and A Land of Heroes.
Six additional quests have been added to Istan, and many existing quests have been updated.
Additional treasure chests are available throughout the continent of Elona.
The PvP Equipment Builder now allows the player to specify the dye color of weapons and off-hand items.
The Skill Bar in the Skills and Attributes panel now shows tooltips even if tooltips have been disabled for the primary Skill Bar.
The Quest Log panel now allocates more space to the list of quests when the list grows large.
Heroes’ Ascent now requires parties with a minimum of four human players.

Balance Changes
Lowered the attribute requirement on Shiro's Blade and Shiro's Sword from 15 to 13.
Lowered the armor on Peppermint and Gingerbread Shields from 10 to 8 to match the highest inherent armor found on random loot.
Lowered the armor on Hassin's Shell from 10 to 8, but added a Health bonus of 20.
Improved the skill selection of Herta, the Earth Henchman.
Reduced the Health of the Anguished Spirits present in the battle against Mallyx the Unyielding.

Bug Fixes
Fixed a skill exploit that allowed players to walk through closed gates.
Fixed a bug with hunt buffs that prevented them from giving double experience.
Fixed a bug that caused some Necromancer minions in Nightfall to behave sluggishly.
Fixed a bug that prevented the following bosses from dropping their unique items: Acolyte of Balthazar, Acolyte of Dwayna, Acolyte of Grenth, Acolyte of Lyssa, and Acolyte of Melandru.
Fixed the Hero Control panel so that if you disable a skill and then move it to a different position on the skill bar, the Hero will still remember not to use that skill in its new position.

Currently no winters quests are up, just the decorations, snowball fights, new features, and titles.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Dec 24th, 2006 at 7:38 pm

I just rebought Guild Wars and am still running around in Pre....everybody is wanting to buy CC shards, but nobody knows what they do! :(

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Dec 26th, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Haha, candy cane shards currently are used for candy canes weapons (like the daggers in the picture in the first post. Although, they would be red instead of green.

There should be a trader in Lions Arch that has the weapons, I don't know if there is one in Ascalon. I know for sure there is one in Kamadan, but you don't have Nightfall.

Gaile Grey (spokesperson for GW), said that the shards will be used during the finale for something important to do with the event. That happens on the 1st. I'm guessing its for dwayna vs grenth in some sort of challenge and is used towards that and ultimately to get some sort of festival headgear.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » May 7th, 2007 at 10:02 am

I wonder if the traders still exist now?

I still have my shards from this event...should I just sell them now, or is the trader still around?

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 8th, 2007 at 1:25 am

The trader is gone but will probably be back next winter if you want to pack rat them.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Sep 6th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Well, what really sucks is I've lost my character who had the candy cane shards! :( Oh well, I guess I'll collect them again.

And I'm finally playing this game long enough to pass lvl 14! I'm actually at lvl 15, and so much further in the game than I was before! I've made it to the desert to ascend, but I'm too low level to even come close to doing that without a bunch of lvl 20's help.

Mouser
Elite Member

sage

Postby Mouser » Sep 8th, 2007 at 3:59 am

die GW die, die thread die!

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Re: sage

Postby CyberPitz » Sep 10th, 2007 at 1:34 am

Mouser wrote:die GW die, die thread die!

No way! Guild Wars shall live FOREVER!!

*Well, until the next WoW expansion at least.*

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Oct 6th, 2007 at 6:54 am

I just bought Guild Wars eye of the north and got reattracted to it.. at least until I beat all of this new content. The game is definitely fun, no matter how many times you quit or continue going back to it.

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”