NWN 2 has gone gold!

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

WidowMaker
Benefactor

NWN 2 has gone gold!

Postby WidowMaker » Oct 17th, 2006 at 10:31 am

In stores Oct. 31!

Get ready for some dungeon rompin', bitches!

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Oct 17th, 2006 at 11:22 am

I pre-ordered a couple weeks ago ;)

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:42 am

Picked it up last week, and man I should have just skipped it. I really don't get companies htat make sequels to a game that suck so much more than the predecessor. Do they get sequel tips from Hollywood? I'm not talking about the content, or the original campaign, I'm talking about the mechanics of the game. The AI for npcs is beyond retarded requiring tons of micromanaging, the settings are all but useless (is there any difference in the spell levels for NPCs? on the lowest spell use my druid still spams buffs on herself and casts call lighning the minute she sees a lizardling.........). Doorways are apparently puzzles that must be figured out before the npcs can walk through them, often simply combat is too confusing for their poor brains and they spend several rounds wondering who to attack. Fortunately the monster AI doesn't suffer from this and will be more than happy to run past the 3-5 melee'rs rushing them (with of course no attacks of opportunity) to get to the mage in the back who hasn't even cast a spell. The camera is a nightmare that took me almost the full week just to get used to it. Maybe they should just scrap NWN all together and stick with the Baldurs Gate, Icewindale type games (which had WAY superior AI, again shouldn't AI be getting better with time, not worse?).

Tim~

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:07 am

Timmy, just like with NWN 1, there is a ton of user-made fixes/scripts/etc that make NWN2 a helluva lot more enjoyable. Tony K's AI is a must have. rpgplayer1's spell fixes is another. I've also written some custom content that earned me a 'hall of fame' rating. Have a look at this thread - http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=109 - try some of the content mentioned there, and I can guarantee you a better experience.

Also, did you patch the game up to the latest (1.06)? LOTS of bug fixes and enhancements vs. right out of the box.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Jul 2nd, 2007 at 7:40 pm

K2, does NWN2 have a large mod community like NWN1 had/has?

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-Game Designer

-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com

-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 2nd, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Not as large as NWN1, but pretty decent. the toolset with NWN2 'raised the bar' so to speak - it's more complex, but the output can be absolutely amazing if done correctly. It why there are a lot less stand-alone mods out at the moment, but the ones that are out are pretty good for the most part.

It took NWN1 about a year or so to get its footing, I imagine the same will hold true for NWN2. Constant patches that fix bugs and add new scripting ability have helped out a lot.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Jul 10th, 2007 at 11:21 am

Downloaded a bunch of fixes, Tony's AI seems more like an opponent fix that party. Now all the enemies I encounter use all their special abilities, but my party is still a retarded mess. Khelgar still stands around for 3-5 rounds trying to figure out what he wants to do, Neeshka will decide to remove the traps on chests in rooms I haven't explored yet. Often someone in the group will "detect" monsters half the dungeon away and run for them, springing encounters on their way to die. You are forced to the front EVERY time a villian needs to monologue so playing a mage or other "squishy" character is uneccesarily dangerous. The NPCs have speech & appraisal skills they'll never use, Elanee never EVER summons her companion, but will spam cast any summon spells you let her learn. The game is a mess, I remember my biggest complaint about NWN1 was the OC was too slow and the intellect devourer fight was practically impossible without a high damage fighter type. It's been patched what a dozen times already? Even the crafting recipes are screwed up.

The NPC's suck, not just the AI, but the personalities.

Khelgar is a 13 year old boy, kill everything, get drunk, and yet wants to be a hero.
Neeshka is a stereotypical rogue, steal everything, whine when she doesn't get her way, acts childish at all times.
Elanee is just blah, way to make sure druids are still boring.
Qara is a 13 year old emo, I destroy everything because people called me names.
The ranger guy, of course the first evil character you meet isn't intelligent evil, but chaotic dickhead pre-pubescent boy.
The Bard is mildly entertaining with his innane ramblings, although honestly he'd never make it past 1 level of bard in a PnP campaign.
The Paladin is so far the most interesting character, although they basically ripped off NWN1 with the "tormented paladin" bit.
Sand is the typical wizard, overly impressed with his own intellect.
Sharra or whatever the "free" character, she's the damsel in distress that suddenly is a competent warrior (why does every character have to be the same level as me?) and I'm guessing she is the third and possibly final female love interest, woohoo, boring druid, annoying child rogue, or damsel in distress...

I think the devs just let a couple of teeneagers create all the NPCs.........

I'm hoping Dragon Age doesn't suck this bad, or Mass Effect.

Tim~

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”