Oblivion - Post your findings

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Campsalot

Oblivion - Post your findings

Postby Campsalot » Apr 11th, 2006 at 9:43 am

I picked this game up and it is the first RPG game I have played in 10 years. Needless to say, I am still getting used to all the aspects of the game, but I am hooked, no doubt. For RPG noobs like myself, I thought this thread would be a good place to chat about things you have found, quests that have been especially rewarding, etc.

WARNING, some things discussed may be "spoilers" in one aspect or another

To start things off, I have a question (this might be fairly common in RPGs, but again, i'm a noob). I would like to purchase a house so I can start storing my weapons, armor, etc. I found a house in Anvil that is for sale cheap ($5000). I am a level 3 dark elf and have about $3500 to my name which has taken me the entire game to save. What are some of the ways you guys have found to make large amounts of money (at least larger than the standard $100 you get for doing contracts at the fighters guild)?

On another note, I found a really rewarding quest in Chorral (i think it was there). There is a wacked out guy that approached me and claimed that some people were watching him. He asks for my help to tail them then report back at midnight behind the chapel every night. Each time you tail a person and report back, he rewards you (with a total of $500 gold or so). The last task he asks you to do is to kill all 3 people you have been tailing (all of whom are innocent). You can report that information to the captain of the guard in that town and he will take care of the guy. That's what I did, so I have no idea what happens if you actually kill all 3 people then report back to the wacked out dude. Maybe he gives you even more money.

Camps

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Apr 11th, 2006 at 12:14 pm

Another route to go for good money is to compete in the arena once your named grand champion you play matches once every week around 3200 gold a pop.

There is a good quest in layawin involving an orc knight but the end reward is your own house by the lake, as well as being knighted and recieving 300 gold payments everytime you turn in particular bandit items.

Becoming the Arch Mage of the mages guild will get your a very nice room in the arcane university as well as the ability to make your own spells and enchanted items within that room.

The cheap house is haunted by the way thats why it is so cheap, youll be attacked by ghosts when you go to sleep in it. At your level unless your a pure caster you wont be able to kill the ghost without a magic weap or a silver weapon.

I tried to stay away from giving too many spoilers involving the game just dont want you to get your ass romped by sleeping in that house that low of a level.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 11th, 2006 at 12:18 pm

Ye i did that quest, it was in Skingrad tho... same exact concept exept it was different numbers for me. Things to do for you is become Grand Master in Imperial City Arena(reward in the end).

I joined mages guild and did all the quests for it all the way through Arcane University and shit. Its quite rewarding but that took me a lot of hours to finish but was fun nontheless.

Theres an endless supply of money(glitch?) if you cure vampirism. Dont worry about it now.

Also good thing when you get to arcane university you will be able to create your own spells, enchant items etc. With spell you can create a spell(for desired school of magic) that uses 1pt of magicka and just keep using it on yourself to easily level your skill up.
I didnt start doing the main quest until i was done with Arcane University, but i dont think it would matter because the AI changes the strength of the opponent as u progress.

HINTs(some stuff that gave me problems):
The higher level you are the better items drop/for sale.
To gain any skill level up you just have to practice or use it.
The more different kinds of skills you use befoer you level up the more will go to skills' correspondent stat for you to boost.
Remember to fix your shit. Use a Repair Hammer or armorsmith can fix it for you. Same for keeping your weapons charged(use soul stones to charge).
Garlic can be found in Mage Guild's basement handing from a room in stacks by walls :).
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Jeng
Elite Member

Re: Oblivion - Post your findings

Postby Jeng » Apr 11th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Campsalot wrote: I am a level 3 dark elf ............. The last task he asks you to do is to kill all 3 people you have been tailing (all of whom are innocent). You can report that information to the captain of the guard in that town and he will take care of the guy. That's what I did

Camps

Bah!! Some dark elf you are. pffft
I really need to change this sig

Roug|-|necK

Postby Roug|-|necK » Apr 11th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

If you couldn't kill them... I suggest not joining the Dark Brotherhood.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Apr 11th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I selected Dark Elf because I wanted a well-rounded character.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Bitterturnips wrote:Another route to go for good money is to compete in the arena once your named grand champion you play matches once every week around 3200 gold a pop.

There is a good quest in layawin involving an orc knight but the end reward is your own house by the lake, as well as being knighted and recieving 300 gold payments everytime you turn in particular bandit items.

Becoming the Arch Mage of the mages guild will get your a very nice room in the arcane university as well as the ability to make your own spells and enchanted items within that room.

The cheap house is haunted by the way thats why it is so cheap, youll be attacked by ghosts when you go to sleep in it. At your level unless your a pure caster you wont be able to kill the ghost without a magic weap or a silver weapon.

I tried to stay away from giving too many spoilers involving the game just dont want you to get your ass romped by sleeping in that house that low of a level.

What level were you when you did those quests? Are they (the arena, the orc quest in Layawin) applicable for a level 3 character?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Apr 11th, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Sure ya'll seen this. Postin it anyway

http://btmod.beider.org/
I really need to change this sig

Roug|-|necK

Postby Roug|-|necK » Apr 11th, 2006 at 7:08 pm

You don't really need to be a high level to do any quest with the exception of a few select because the game scales the difficulty of enemies according to what your level is. The Layawin knight quest I did as a level 2. The only real quest that gave me problems was the Find the painter one which was one of the coolest things I have seen in the game so far. But the trolls there were fuckin beasts.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 12th, 2006 at 4:22 am

Anyone knows good spells i can make? Mine suck and use lots of magicka. So if you came across a spell that pwns all tell me whats its stats are so i can make one.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Apr 12th, 2006 at 9:58 am

Roug|-|necK wrote:You don't really need to be a high level to do any quest with the exception of a few select because the game scales the difficulty of enemies according to what your level is. The Layawin knight quest I did as a level 2. The only real quest that gave me problems was the Find the painter one which was one of the coolest things I have seen in the game so far. But the trolls there were fuckin beasts.

Yeah, I laced my sword with the turpentine then cast some fireballs from long range to weaken them. That was a tough one, but the idea was cool.. definitely.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Apr 13th, 2006 at 6:07 pm

No matter what, learn how to conjure pets. I am a mage (which has huge benefit) but the pet is the way to go.

If you want to super level conjuration, get the summon scamp spell and spam it in your off time. Conjuration goes up fast.

I am lvl 21 and have a Summon Storm Atrinoch spell. That thing can solo 2 enemies at a time. I then coupled that with an 80% shield spell which all but maxes armor and reduces physical dmg completely.

My spell uses all my mana, but creates a storm atrinoch and gives me an 80% shield for 40 secs. Its the only way to fight.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:13 am

I found a badass way to pwn. Make a spell that does 75-100%weakness to fire,frost,lightnin,magicka. +10sec soul trap. You hit someone with that shit. You need Azuras star for infinite recharge supply. Than you hit em with Apothesis Staff(can be bought in imperial city market district when you are lvled enough) most die in 1-2 hits.
Sneaky bastard...

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:08 pm

Some good mods for oblivion are starting to roll in full steam. Btmod is almost essential for pc users by optimiziing the UI more for a PC than an xbox 360.

The full list of changes and links for downloads can be found here: http://btmod.beider.org/

The next mod I just recently downloaded it is a basic overhaul of the oblivion structure as far as realism. From making the arena matches seem more of an actual arena match rather than becoming grand champion bleow lvl 10 with ease. He has a good deal of patch notes with the file. I suggest beating the main quest first then starting a new game before downloading this mod.

Link: http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2528

(Tessource.net may req registration to download, if so the sign up is quick and harmless many major player made mods will be coming through this site.)

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:41 pm

Where do I get Azura star?

I could build some crazy spells knowing I don't have wait for mana recharge.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 14th, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Azura's star is part of your main quest, about half way into it. Just dont give it up before u start doin other side quests. I gave it up cause i didnt know the value of it and i had to use bunch and bunch of soul stones.

This is a good link to find out about the locations of different spells etc.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=310239
Sneaky bastard...

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Apr 14th, 2006 at 7:18 pm

Shift clicking items in the inventory will drop them. I suggest going to weynon priory and talking with all the monks so you can get a free horse then the rest of the game is up for you to play.

Covermy6

Postby Covermy6 » Apr 14th, 2006 at 11:45 pm

yeah, I still got the same horse that monks gave to me, and im lvl 22, and the damn thing is still alive.Oh and i started around lvl 2.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 15th, 2006 at 6:03 am

Derf possibilities are endless to be honest man. Just talk to people. Usually the first town presents you some good side series of quests. You better find out everything for yourself so it doesn't ruin the game.
Sneaky bastard...

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Apr 15th, 2006 at 9:47 am

I just realized that after buying the Anvil house, when you go back to the guy that sold it to you (you find him at the Imperial City - elven district), you only get one shot to sweet talk him into helping you "un-haunt" the house. If you piss him off you are stuck with a $5000 haunted house. :(

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 15th, 2006 at 12:07 pm

Nah its not that many derf. Its only about 7300. :P
Hint for lockpicking:
When it goes up, it goes up at different speeds. If u just keep hittin it up you will notice the slowest speed at which it goes up. Thats when u have enough time to react.
Sneaky bastard...

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 15th, 2006 at 1:37 pm

lmao yea, its 1 at the time. hahahahah wow... i can just imagine u trying to get em all up ahahah.
Sneaky bastard...

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 15th, 2006 at 3:29 pm

hey i dont have a manual either :P.
Sneaky bastard...

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 15th, 2006 at 5:52 pm

I really never used it. I had a "Charm" spell, it made it all easier. "Persuade" you just gota figure out how it works. Its a lil tricky and it makes you think. But in all honesty i didnt need it all that often, though i didnt do many side quests.
Sneaky bastard...

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Apr 15th, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Regarding locks, here's a trick. As stated before, watch the speed of the tumblers coming down. When the tumbler falls quickly, the next tap of the tumbler will be slow. The faster the fall the slower the next fall will be.

The persuade system is critically important in many quests. For example, there is a reall easy way to find the elusive "Gray Fox" (the leader of the thieves guild), but you have to persuade someone to get them to give you information. Many times you can just opt to bribe the person and increase their disposition. However, some people take offense to bribes so you have to use the persuasion system. Here's how it works. The persuasion ring is separated into 4 quadrants. Once you click the "start" button, you need to mouse over each of the quadrants and note the expression on the person's face for each of the quadrants. The person will hate one, dislike one, like one, and really like one. You can tell by their expression which one is which. At the same time you clicked "start" you will also notice each quadrant is filled from a small amount to completely filled. The trick is to click the full quadrants when the person likes or really likes it and click the small amounts when the person hates or dislikes it. The challenge comes in that each time you click a quadrant, the fill amounts rotate. It takes some practice, but you will get the hang of it. Oh, and don't take too much time trying to decide which quadrant to click. The longer you wait, the more the person's dispositiion will tick away.

Good Luck.

Oh.. I just got into the thieves guild. Let me know if you want to know how to do it. Also, I just finished my most rewarding quest yet ($1500 gold.. and im only at level 4).

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”