Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - GOLD

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

K2
Administrator

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - GOLD

Postby K2 » Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Read about this on [H]ardOCP's site - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has gone gold, the estimated date on the shelves is March 20th. Press release - http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_030206.htm

I know Oreo and Nad have systems that can probably handle this game in all of its graphic, eye-candy glory. Anyone else out there compete? And how many of ya plan on playing this bad boy?

monica

Postby monica » Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:23 pm

ooh, i can't wait till it comes out!!! REALLY need to upgrade my vid card before, but yah, i'm so looking forward to it. PC gamer listed it as 1 of 10 must-have games this year

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Mar 3rd, 2006 at 1:05 am

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/games/inde ... id=1422030

They just let the game reviewers hang around the newbie zone, but looks like the game might have an issue or two. And I imagine that this was done on the machines that the game company provided specifically to let game reviewers play on.
I really need to change this sig

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Mar 23rd, 2006 at 3:13 pm

I just finished downloading it yesterday and installed it. I am going to check it out, though I probably won't be playing this game for more than a few hours. (It has too many "scary" parts in it, I'm not really a fan of the RPG in a horror environment.) I just wanted to see what the graphics look like. ;)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 23rd, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Screenshots please, with everything maxed out :D

monica

Postby monica » Mar 23rd, 2006 at 5:06 pm

very good game! lovin' it! still need to upgrade from my stone-age radeon 9500 :P BUT the graphics are still not too shabby!! actually it looks good, really pretty scenery, i'm just dealin with some slight lag... but lots of fun, i've only played for about 3 hrs though so i'm not too far into it yet!! yeah i wanna see screenshots too from a good vid card so i can get motivated to get a new one!!

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Mar 24th, 2006 at 1:35 am

I picked it up.Detected my system for high graphics. Runs very smooth, such gorgeous game play. Such a beautiful game!

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:25 am

I got it running on my x850xt. Looks very nice on high quality. I don't know how to take screens tho.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Mar 24th, 2006 at 2:26 am

my computer can handle it ..... but i don't like RPG ...

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Mar 24th, 2006 at 6:51 am

Eh, I tried to take screenshots, but you have to tab out after every print screen and paste it into a program. The outside levels were quite laggy with max settings enabled, I think they use a bad engine for texturing trees and bushes and use a polygon for each piece instead of a transparent texture.

The game looks pretty good, but it matches that of Guild Wars pretty closely on large terrain areas. The character design was quite extensie... you can pretty much make him look exactly how you want. Move eyebrows, change color or textures, size of the face, chin, eye, eye socket, cheeks, etc.

The game is quite slow though, you mostly use first person mode it seems and there is a lot of explaining in the beginning areas. I really feel like I'm running 5mph even with no armor on and it's kind of annoying. I played the game for about 3 housr and came to the conclusion that it's pretty good looking, seems very in depth, not my kind of a time waster. ;) Was hoping it would be a little more fun and the menus would be more explanatory than they were.

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:52 pm

Here is the write up i found in the forums over at elder scrolls for screenshots.

Go into your C:\My documents\My Games\Oblivion folder and open up the Oblivion.ini
scroll down or search for bAllowScreenShot=0, change the 0 to a 1 then save the file. after that you can take screenshots with the Print Screen key, the screenshots are saved in the Main Oblivion folder where you installed it. C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion for example.

I will have some of my screenies posted later today.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Mar 24th, 2006 at 1:32 pm

I really need to change this sig

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Oreo wrote:I played the game for about 3 housr and came to the conclusion that it's pretty good looking, seems very in depth, not my kind of a time waster. ;)

Let me know when you are ready to sell it to me :wink:

camps

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Oreo wrote:I just finished downloading it yesterday and installed it. I am going to check it out, though I probably won't be playing this game for more than a few hours. (It has too many "scary" parts in it, I'm not really a fan of the RPG in a horror environment.) I just wanted to see what the graphics look like. ;)

Sorry camps. ;)

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Mar 25th, 2006 at 11:43 am

Camps,

You may have another seller here soon. Beautiful game but not my speed. I need something that gets going quicker than this style game.

Going to give it one more shot, but I'm probably going to move on here soon.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Mar 25th, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Kahuna Mas wrote:Camps,

You may have another seller here soon. Beautiful game but not my speed. I need something that gets going quicker than this style game.

Going to give it one more shot, but I'm probably going to move on here soon.

Sweet. PM me how much you want for it when/if you decide to sell it.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Mar 27th, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Stupid addictive game...

Wouldn't you know the next shot I gave to this game got me hooked. Hard.

Its a slow start but its worth it. I spent the last 2 days (about 15 hours total) working just on side quests and haven't even scratched the surface. I still have yet to do the first part of the primary quest.

Oh yeah, and for a non-mmorpg, the world is huge.

I think the most challenging part of the game is trying to stay focused on 1 thing mostly because there's so many side quests.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 27th, 2006 at 3:13 pm

Hey somebody with a high-end vid card - post a screen shot with all the eye-candy turned on, kthx ;)

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Mar 27th, 2006 at 4:23 pm

I think i read somewhere that the game + all side quests can run close to 200 hours of gameplay :shock: :shock:

camps

Bitterturnips

Postby Bitterturnips » Mar 27th, 2006 at 11:51 pm

Here is some of my screenshots on my auto detect high setting.

None are really that impressive i will take some more.

Teufel

Postby Teufel » Mar 29th, 2006 at 1:33 pm

Same thing happened to me as kahuna. Started off real slow. Partly my fault, i ran the nooby dungeon probably 5-6 times trying to discover what i wanted to play as.

Eventually i got hooked. :x

[edit] Game is playing at auto detected settings of High. On a XPS1 laptop.
-----------------------------------
The things you own.
End up owning you.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:05 am

I got problem with it. When i first come out of the sewers and look into far land(theres a big mountain right across the river) and the textures of the LAND are very faded and low quality but everythin else is fine, trees show etc. I tryed playin with all the distance setting etc but nothin helped, anyone knows a solution?
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Roug|-|necK

Postby Roug|-|necK » Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:48 pm

I'm playing the XBox360 version. Game looks great and is loads to fun. The physics are a blast too, try rolling a dead wolf down a cliff. Fun to watch it hit bumps and cartwheel down.

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:11 pm

OMG this damn game!

I just now discovered how to craft my own spells. Instead of having to chain spells, I can now make 1 spell that chains all the stuff I want. Fully customized.

Example: I have a spell that summons my pet and buffs me at the same time and for the same duration. Whatever type of spell their is you can combine any number of effects at into 1 spell.

Heh I only spent about 4k testing this out. I am almost broke again.

Roug|-|necK

Postby Roug|-|necK » Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:59 pm

Theres 500 easy gold if you steal from the bet box outside the arena. Do it at night and shut the two doors behind you. Too bad it doesnt refill.... especially when I waste 1000 betting on the fucking yellow team and they never win

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”