EVE Online

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

WidowMaker
Benefactor

EVE Online

Postby WidowMaker » Feb 27th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Any of you guys tried EVE Online? I have been finding myself rather bored with all the traditional MMOs as of late... well bored, and not having enough time to devote to them. I have consistently been hearing positive things about EVE over the last year or so, so I decided to try it out.

I am digging it so far, but it is alot different than other MMOs. It works well for me right now because between work, being a husband, and soon to become a Dad, I simply can't afford to play a game that requires me to not leave the keyboard for hours at a time. With EVE, I can pretty much get up and go do other things whenever I need, unless I am in the middle of a combat mission, which only lasts 10 minutes or so.

It is a very deep and complex game compared to other MMOs with a steeper learning curve than most, but that seems to attract a more mature audience, which suits me just fine.

There are currently ~100k subscribers, and the game is ONE server. Yep, everyone in the game plays on the same server, which is pretty cool. The universe is HUGE, which allows so many people to be able to play at once and it not seem ridiculously crowded.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, and the ambient music in game is awesome.

Anyways, it is pretty cool so far. So if you feel you need to try something new and different, you should download the 14-day free trial and check it out. If you do play, be sure to drop me a line - the name in game is "Mugwerte".

http://www.eve-online.com

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:10 pm

I heard the level-grind on EVE is legendary - as in it's so tedious and mind-numbing it redefines the word 'camp'.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:25 pm

Yes and no K2... EVE has offline skill training. Instead of sitting at a camp and killing mobs for hours on end to gain xp, I simply click "train" and depending on the level of the skill, level of my Learning skills, if I have any implants to enhance my attributes, it takes X:Y hours:minutes real-time to complete. That is actually what I like about the game. I can start training something, go to sleep, wake up and it's done. Like I said, it's a slower-paced game, unless you are like me and focus on being a combat pilot and hunting pirates. But that is why it fits my schedule nowadays - you aren't forced to be glued to your keyboard for hours on end. You can pretty much get up and go do something else whenver you want, and still be accomplishing something.

That being said, I believe it would take you like 3 years to completely learn every single possible skill in the game. Needless to say, people decide what they want to specialize in and train the skills leading to that role.

EVE is not for everyone, especially those who enjoy constant action. But it definitely works for a laid back player who has limited chunks of time to devote to a single play session.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Servo

Postby Servo » Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:12 pm

I signed up for the free trial and played for about a week. I gave up becuase I just wasn't enjoying it all that much. for every mission it seemed like I spent 15 minutes flying my ship system to system on autopilot. Plus, the economy and skill development systems looked incrediably complex and potentially interesting, but I just didn't want to invest the time to learn them. Overall, I just never found a hook that made me want to actually invest the time/money needed to get good at the game.

The skill system was great imo, and I did find myself waking up at 2 am or whenever I knew my current skill would finish training so I could start the next one. I would like to see some sort of hybred system that took parts of that developed for other mmorpgs.

Overall, my biggest gripe with the game was probably that you had to be at the same station as an NPC to accept a mission from them. You could talk to them and even see what the missions were from your ship, but to actually do it you had to go all the way to the NPC. This just wasted huge amouts of time I would rather have spent playing the game.
"I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider, and I decide what is best."

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:31 pm

Yeah, I ran into the same issue in my first few days, until I finally found a good agent that consistently gave me combat missions either in the same Solar System or 1 jump away. Been doing those for the past few days, and they take 10-15 mins each, with minimal flight time thanks to warping/stargates.

Courier missions are nice for when you can't really be sitting at your KB the whole time, and you can just set the destination for a 6 jump trip, hit autopilot and go about your business until you arrive in the Solar system. Hopefully there will be an agent at the delivery location with a mission for you. :)

-Wid

-Game Designer

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:35 pm

Doesn't sound like a game worth paying monthly for.

I beta'd this game right up to the time it went retail. It's got some variations on the typical MMO, but again not worth a monthly fee imo.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:40 pm

The game is making a come back suprisingly. The Corporations in it and the player base are hard core. Prob more hardcore than WoW or even EQ. There is a huge number of people running the game on multiple computers and comanding a large group of people. Here is a long write up about an exploit in Eve that is very well written and entertaining even if you don't play the game. I came close to getting it because of this write up.

http://static.circa1984.com/the-big-scam.html
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:53 pm

Derfel wrote:I wish someone would design a MMO game where a new-comer could be at the same level as someone who has been playing for 24 months. I feel like I jump on these things too late, and just get owned by the vets. Maybe it's just me.

I feel the same way. Perhaps a MMOG that you start out as an infantryman that is assigned to a team in a squad in a platoon in a battalion. As you pick up experience you get to fly jets, battle bots, space craft, tanks etc. That way you can have massive wars on foot with support from more experienced players. Taht would own. Some people would like the foot battle and could choose to move up the ranks to a battalion commander or whatever.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:00 am

I played eve for about 2 months. It was enjoyable for the first 3-4 weeks... then it just became teadious. Sure i could leave the game for a few days and learn a really cool skill. But the whole skill-point thing to 'level up' is a pain. They literally make you play the game a few months before you can get a level 2 agent to give you better missions. I didn't like the missions that repeat over and over. Courier missions are cool... but they are all the same. Fly here, drop off, fly here. Pirate combat missions are cool but repeat over and over (same skill level of enemies even...). I didn't like that finding a good coporation is just massively hard. I joined 5 and they all sucked. You need to have huge amounts of skill points (at least a year's worth) to get into an active and exciting corp. I didn't have the time to spend to get there. Not to mention the incredible lag during the 4-11pm hours.

But... graphics were nice, music was cool, the game concept is good, very complex and engaging skill/purchasing/fighting system, and it all being on 1 sever was nice.

Now Wild... if you make a HF corp i might be inclined to come back and join. :)
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:42 am

Heh pyrox, let me get a little more into it before I go starting a corp. :)

I am curious about your comment about not finding good level 2 missions. I have been playing for a week and already have some level 2 agents I can take missions from, although they are low quality right now as I haven't built up my faction enough yet. Plus, I want to wait to get a Destroyer, or atleast the top-end Frigate before trying even a low quality mission, as I hear they can be difficult. For now I am running high quality level 1 combat missions, as well as Storyline missions when they come up. I will be buying a top-end Frigate this evening, so I wil probably atleast try some level 2 missions in the next couple days.

I only run courier missions if I need to be afk. Get the missions, set the destination, turn on autopilot and come back in 5-10 minutes when the jumps are done. :)

At this point I don't know if it is something I will play for a long time or not, but for now it is fitting into my schedule nicely, and is entertaining.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Jun 16th, 2006 at 9:08 am

I've just recently started paying for my subscription to EVE. It's addicting to say the least. I dropped my WoW account for it. I had been looking for a good space game since titles like freelancer and Wing commander: Privateer and this , for me, was it. It's got the free roaming through vast (And i mean fucking VAST) amounts of space plus, if you find a few good people to work with, it never gets dull. Plus at the higher end of the game there is a very involving inter-player political element that i can't wait to jump into. This game is very detailed. Most items on the market, for example, are manufactured by players. And it's not like that sissy WoW market where one auction house rules all, every region has it's own market and prices will vary accordingly. My one complaint would be the amount of time I need to invest to compete with the established players but hey, i'm making my dents. Plus the combat system that looks like i'm using a modern naval tactical overlay is one of the coolest mmorpg combat systems i've ever seen. No longer do i have to watch little numbers rolling as bad animation swings randomly!

The very best thing about the game? ALL EXPANTION PACKS ARE FREE. yes, that's right, finally a company that didn't try to milk me on expantions. Even the upcomming engine update will be totally free to those who already pay for the normal subscriptions. And isn't that how it should be?

Wid, if you see me online my ingame is "Anyn".

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Jun 16th, 2006 at 9:22 am

Oh and uhh, about needing skill points to do level 2 missions pyrox? that's not true bro! i've only had my account for a month and i've been dong level 2 missions for a while now. I jumped straight into a battlecruiser (though recently lost it to a couple of pirates while guarding a mining op in low security) and plowed through those missions till i got bored of em. I do agree how the system is sort of cheap in it's unique way to make you need time to progress... but in theory, what mmorpgs don't require time to progress? It's not like camping an area for monsters and EXP isn't time consuming. at least you can gain skill while you're away!

Finally, this info is good stuff. Especially the mission type breakdown if you didn't already know this:

THANKS TO ALL THOSE I'VE PILFERED THIS INFO OFF!

-----------------------------------------------

Security status: Empire restrictions-
Below -2 = not in 1.0 sec systems
Below -2.5 = not in 0.9 sec systems
Below -3 = not in 0.8 sec systems
Below -3.5 = not in 0.7 systems
Below -4 = not in 0.6 systems
Below -4.5 = not in 0.5 systems
-5 or below = KOS in all empire.

*** Mission types ***
Administration: 50% Kill, 50% Courier
Advisory: 34% Kill, 66% Courier
Archives: 5% Kill, 90% Courier, 5% Trade
Astrosurveying: 40% Kill, 30% Courier, 25%
Mining, 5% Trade
Command: 97% Kill, 3% Courier
Distribution: 5% Kill, 95% Courier
Intelligence: 85% Kill, 15% Courier
Internal Security: 95% Kill, 5% Courier
Legal: 50% Kill, 50% Courier
Manufacturing: 5% Kill, 95% Courier
Marketing: 5% Kill, 95% Courier
Mining: 5% Kill, 85% Courier, 10% Mining (II)
Production: 5% Kill, 95% Courier
Public Relations: 34% Kill, 66% Courier
R&D;*: 0% Kill, 50% Courier(S), 50% Trade
Security: 90% Kill, 5% Courier, 5%Trade
Storage: 5% Kill, 95% Courier(L)
Surveillance: 95% Kill, 5% Courier

*** Damage types ***
Guristas - Kinetic / Thermal
Serpentis - Thermal / Kinetic
Blood Raider - Thermal / EM
Sansha's Nation - EM / Thermal
Angel Cartel - Kinetic / Explosive / Thermal
Minmatar Fleet - Thermal / Explosive
Amarr Navy - EM / Thermal

Complexes: maxiumum ship allowed-
1/10 Frigate
2/10 Destroyer
3/10 Cruiser
4/10 Battle Cruiser
5/10 Battle Ship

• -0.5% loss per target for initiating aggression
• (-0.1 sec status)
• -2.0% loss for ship destruction
• (-0.2 sec status)
• -12.5% loss for a pod kill
• (-1.25 sec status)

How to use drones:
If you have drones loaded in your dronebay you will
get a new section called "Drones" in the overview. Expand
that section and explore the right-click options.

Agression countdown:
is how long the named group can fire at you because
you've attacked them. For NPCs this largely does not
matter except in areas where they control stations where
you might want to dock. They may fire on you."

How do I find agents?
Open the map (F10) go to "Display Settings" then "Stars"
and scroll down until you see the heading "My
Associates." Click on the bullet that says "My agents."
Systems highlighted in green have agents that accept you.
Hover your mouse over the system to see more
information.

How do I get better agents?
Agent availability depends on your standing with the NPC
Corporation and/or your faction standing that the
corporation is affiliated with. To raise that standing you
have to complete missions for agents in that corporation.
All new players start out with level 1 agents.

To use level 2 agents you need a faction or corporation
standing of at least 1.0 this will let you use level 2,
quality -20 agents.

This formula can be used to calculate what standing you
need for a specific agent.

F=2(A-1)+0.05Q

A=Agent level
Q=Quality of agent before skills
F=The effective corp, faction or personal standing needed
to use the agent.

Corporation Standing Increase = Agent Standing Increase *
Agent Efficiency/Corporation Modifier

Agent Efficiency = 0.01 * (8 * Agent Level + 0.1 *
Agent Quality - 4)

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 5th, 2007 at 3:48 pm

A co-worker of mine has been playing this for a couple months now and he finally convinced me to start playing.

Started up Friday night, I've already got a couple million ISK in the bank from missions along with a pretty decent frigate that I've mainly equipped off of loot from missions. Still on the trial account so its not like any of this was given to me, the game is just fairly easy to get yourself established in. Can't transfer ISK or items to or from a trial account I've heard, haven't bothered to find out for sure.

New expansion patch is going in today thats going to revamp the graphics, otherwise I would be running missions right now.

My co-worker is in a mercenary corporation, they would be fine with me joining up right now, but I'm going to wait till I get more skills trained and I get myself a slightly better ship than what I have right now.

Although the corp that my co-worker is in is a fairly new corp with few old timers, they have gone to war with a small pirate corporation where most of their members are 4 year vets. So far the pirate corp has turned tail and ran when confronted.
I really need to change this sig

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 6th, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Well shit, I sure hope my computer doesn't reboot before I get home. We have been having power surges lately and my new kitten has found the off switch on the powerstrip more than once.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 06/1312254

"CCP's latest major patch to the EVE-Online client, Trinity, comes with an optional DX9-enhanced graphics patch that dramatically improves the visual quality of the in-game graphics through remade models, textures, and HDR. It also has an unfortunate bug: the incredibly stupid choice of boot.ini as a game configuration file, coupled with an errant extra backslash in the installer configuration. The result is that anyone who installs the enhanced graphics patch overwrites the windows XP c:\boot.ini file with the EVE client configuration file, bricking the machine on the next boot. Discussion in a couple of forums threads is becoming understandably heated."
I really need to change this sig

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

LOL that's classic. Probably got some directly out of school coder that made that mistake. I may pick it back up if I can recover my account. Haven't played in over a year. I think it would be a good match for me with 19 units at school in Spring. I can skill up while studying. That's the real bonus to this game.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Dec 17th, 2007 at 11:47 pm

Well, I was unable to recover my account, so I just started over. I've forgotten how favorable this game is to people who actually have lives but still want to play an MMO. I've been studying for finals non stop, yet I've still progressed as if I've been playing regularly for 4 days. I may have 2 hours invested in game. So it's nice to get something done. I think all those econ/finance/business minded people would enjoy too since it has the most developed economy in any game. Player run corporations with shares/bonds, player run banks, player run stock exchanges, etc. And they can do whatever they want so there's real risk. I think the economy in this game alone is worth a look into it. Before I wasn't so concerned about that, but now that I'm in my 3rd year of my Econ degree, I really get a LOT more out of this game than I did before. I'd recommend it for the person who wants to play an MMO but still wants a life...outside of gaming.

Name is "Mao Bootini" employed by the Cirrius Technologies Corporation.

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”