Oreo's Guild Wars Review

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Oreo's Guild Wars Review

Postby Oreo » May 22nd, 2005 at 5:50 am

edit: Apologize ahead of time for hi res screenshots messing up text length. I already resized them down once, I didn't want to lose more quality. :D
The link to the thread is http://www.hardfought.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2837
if you want to open it in a new window.

Ok, I bought the game 5-6 days ago and have been playing it nonstop ever since. I will tell you the highlights, the idea of the game, and a few cool things that make it addicting and fun. Let's go over a few quick things why Guild Wars is a good game.

1. It's free to play online.
2. The servers don't go down for "maintainence". Updating is realtime.
3. There are multiple servers for every village/city, where players meet together, the rest of the game is played via your computer or your party. (In Questing mode.) So if you have dialup, you can enjoy the game still.
4. The graphics are sweet, straight up. The requirements of the game say you can get by with a recommdended Geforce4 and 1ghz computer. I have max graphics, 1280x1024 resolution, a computer that gets 50-100 fps in source, and the game is STILL slick and feels smooth.
5. You can't become godly. No worrying about having to have the "best" items to be good at the game. You are good because of strategy, not how long you spent outside of town leveling up.
6. Questing mode seems neverending. You can keep playing and never run of out things to do. It ranges from easy quests, to difficult quests. The game favors playing with other people to help make it slightly easier.
7. PVP Characters with your guild. After you unlock skills in questing mode, you can make a pvp character who is all the way leveled up and you have access to the skills you've unlocked. You will battle other guilds and this is where you have your fun. You can also pvp in questing mode in arenas where teams are randomly generated in a king of the hill type style (the winning team, stays to fight the next team until they lose). You also gain experience for dueling in questing mode.
8. The characters are very customizable. You can change the look, gender, face, size, hair, hair color, skin color, and player type.
9. You can take off your characters clothes and dance.

Those are just a FEW of the highlights of the game, now let me go into a little more detail.

When you first start to play the game, you realize right away that it's a little different from other games you have played. You are decently strong to start out and when you go to buy items or gear, it's not a huge confusion on what is good and what isn't. Some people might find this limited, but I find it good because it makes it so you can understand the game a little better.

The quests are designed to teach you aspects of the game. It will tell you to use your map to travel between cities, or give you quests that force you to use your new skills so you understand how everything works. The game is very friendly to newbs and if you have never played an RPG or an MMORPG before, you will feel right at home. My brother has never played RPGs before in his life and he bought the game when I did. He stayed with me and leveled up just as quickly as I did just by doing quests. He said it wasn't really hard to understand and the game taught him a bit, although I helped him out a lot to make him a better player. Strategy plays a huge role in how good your character is. Using your skills correctly before going into battle will be the biggest difference more than who has the higher damage weapon (although it helps :p)

The character design is awesome. The ability to have capes to go with your guild and a huge selection of designing your cape will make your characters be unique. The design process also makes you feel like the character is your own and you have more control over how things are going to be. Here is a screenshot of the character design screen.

Here is a shot of that player ingame... without clothes on. :p

Ok, back to serious.

The gameplay itself is a lot better than you'd expect. You can control your camera angle easily with the mouse2 button by clicking it and holding it to change the direction of the camera. You can zoom in and out with the mousewheel all the way up to first person view if you want to be up close and personal. I have found that this is useful for when you want to run and have a different view, or be far away and see the whole battle field. Selecting targets is a little bit of a challenge until you get used to it. Usually you're used to clicking the mouse or holding the mouse down to kill an enemy or select a target. In this game you click the enemy once or you use the wide variety of hot keys (customizable) to select a target. Once you start attacking or using a skill on that target, your character will continue to attack until its dead, or until you select a new target. I find this annoying and helpful. I played Diablo 2 probably over 2,000 hours worth of gameplay time, so I was very used to the massive clicking. I can play this game for over 12 hours a day and not even be finger fatigued, so that is a bonus too.

As a description of a few things you see on your screen, I will show a few screenshots.

The above screenshot is a picture of the characters in town. I know its an extremely closeup, but these people are trying to talk to a merchant that is in town. You can see your inventory on the left, which includes your main inventory, a belt (which holds 5 items, and 2 bags which you can buy that hold 5 items also). Every item is the same item size, so you don't have to worry about being creative while organizing your inventory. As you may notice on the left, the skirt is a different color from the other gear. You can find color dye in the game which can be fun, and also expensive. buying dye is expensive, but finding it is free. :p You can also remove the dye and color it a different color (for some gold) This further helps add to the character customization.

A picture of the scenery.

The same character, but at a different angle. As you can see at the bottom, your skills are hot keyed. One bonus feature of the game is that you can be 2 characters at once, called a second profession. You can be a monk with healer skills and a warrior able to fight people. This will allow you to be more versatile with your character and you aren't any less powerful or more powerful. Just able to do more things. The radar will show visible enemies, so you know where to run if you want to fight, or how dangerous an area is. The wide variety of hot keys will also show you where enemies or allies are if you want to asses a situation better. Targeting an oppoenent without clicking them to check on their level becomes important if you don't want to fight something potentionally dangerous (TAB and C are the best ones. For next target and closest target)

Also, you are able to move with wsad (also customizable) or with the mouse. Some people prefer keys, the mouse, or both. So you can run backwards, forwards, turn left or right, strafe left or right, or just use the mouse for movement.

Ability to target enemies is shown here. You can see the level and name before getting close to them in addition to seeing them on the radar.

One bonus feature is that you can draw on the radar. When you are with your party you can put a white line of the path you wish to take, or that you took to get somewhere (it disappears after a few seconds). You can also click on a spot on the radar to make a red sonar target. This will help show your teamates where you are or where a large groups of enemies is.

There are a lot more aspects to this game that make it really fun to play, and I know I didn't include a lot of great screenshots, but I hope I helped some of you decide whether or not you wanted to get it. Just rememeber that it will still take some time to play to understand a little better (a day or so), and that you don't have to pay to play it! So breaks are ok and you don't have to worry about wasting any money. :p My suggestion for a good character is a warrior with a monk or necromancer as a second profession. The warrior is the strongest character and the second profession will help keep you alive for healing type skills. Later!

-Oreo[/img][/url]

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 22nd, 2005 at 6:00 am

awesome thanks for this oreo. I like hearing reviews from people that actually play the game. still havent decided if im going to buy it yet.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 22nd, 2005 at 6:17 am

Sorry that it's not a little more extensive. I added the questions you asked. If you have more or anyone else does, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. Idon't have any experience with the PVP factor yet because I haven't done it, but I hear it's one of the best parts of the game. :D

Timmy

Postby Timmy » May 22nd, 2005 at 12:01 pm

Looks pretty, and great review Oreo.

Tim~

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » May 22nd, 2005 at 12:25 pm

Nice SS Oreo. I have been on the fence about this game. But damn the graphics just about put it over the top for me. They are much better than I had imagined.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 22nd, 2005 at 4:36 pm

well i just bought this game and i think it was well worth it.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » May 22nd, 2005 at 6:10 pm

yeah i have it this game is sick

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » May 22nd, 2005 at 8:15 pm

How rewarding are the quests?
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » May 22nd, 2005 at 8:28 pm

Yup, I was on the fence like Mav. Now I have to say that I'm buying this TOMORROW! All the screenshots I've been seeing has made it look childish like WoW, but these change my whole perspective. My chick is gonna be hotter than yours :wink:

Oh, and we should get everyone on HF who plays it in the same guild......someone invite me tomorrow.

Covermy6

Postby Covermy6 » May 22nd, 2005 at 8:39 pm

I got this game the second day it came out. So far I have enjoyed it thoughly. I have 1 charr. at lvl 20 (R/E) and a another lvl 11 (E/M). I have been playing PVE and loving it. I also dabbled into the area of PVP which is also great, but requires smart people on a team, not idiotic teammates that i usuallly get stuck with......and Uh if any of you want to add me to your friends list my in-game name is Marywhether Huntres.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » May 22nd, 2005 at 9:00 pm

Cool, I'll hit you up. And by stupid...you mean like....LEEROY!

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » May 22nd, 2005 at 9:03 pm

Im prolly gettin this game O.o
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 22nd, 2005 at 9:13 pm

Well im in a guild that seems decent and Oreo started up his own guild with his brother but it would be cool to have an all HF guild.

my in game name right now is Cathana Paranis.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 22nd, 2005 at 11:22 pm

You can find me one a slew of names, but Jessica Mam is the easiest probably.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » May 23rd, 2005 at 12:10 am

Why are all of you fgts rolling female toons?
-Edmund Burke

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » May 23rd, 2005 at 12:34 am

I exclusively roll female PCs. They are just easier on the eye and if I MUST look at a charcters ass for most of the gameplay, it might as well be a chick. Plus, there's alot of gullable people who ply MMOs and they are nicer and more apt to give you things if you say you are female IRL....seriously. I make my toons hawt and 12 year olds can't wait to give me my choice of the loot. It's devious, but it works.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 23rd, 2005 at 2:57 am

So wrong.. but true. :-\ Plus it's a fantasy game. Why not fantasize? You can be a big ass male if you want to do that too. :p

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 26th, 2005 at 3:36 pm

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 26th, 2005 at 3:50 pm

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 30th, 2005 at 10:05 am

Oreo getting raped my a wolf:
http://home.comcast.net/~paranoiax/images/gw019.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~paranoiax/images/gw023.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~paranoiax/images/gw024.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~paranoiax/images/gw025.JPG

All I have to say is that this game is absolutely amazing. I just beat the game yesterday (well finished the main storyline as there is no way to actually complete this game) and I'm still having a blast. I've been at the level cap for several days now but I havent even come close to running out of things to do and being bored. Playing this game is like being in an amazing movie. The story kicks major ass and youll actually start developing attachments to the some of the characters as it goes on (which is far more than I can say for most movies out there). So yeah go buy this game if you havent already. You dont even have to like MMOs to enjoy this game. Just play this game like you would HL2, finish the main story, and never play it again and that alone will be worth the $50.

okay im done now. 8)

b0ba

Postby b0ba » May 30th, 2005 at 10:21 am

^^^ what he said

Timmy

Postby Timmy » May 30th, 2005 at 10:25 am

ParanoiaX wrote:Oreo getting raped my a wolf:

All I have to say is that this game is absolutely amazing. I just beat the game yesterday (well finished the main storyline as there is no way to actually complete this game) and I'm still having a blast. I've been at the level cap for several days now but I havent even come close to running out of things to do and being bored. Playing this game is like being in an amazing movie. The story kicks major ass and youll actually start developing attachments to the some of the characters as it goes on (which is far more than I can say for most movies out there). So yeah go buy this game if you havent already. You dont even have to like MMOs to enjoy this game. Just play this game like you would HL2, finish the main story, and never play it again and that alone will be worth the $50.

okay im done now. 8)

8 days and you hit the level cap? I'm not a big fan of levelling games but if its that easy, why even have a level cap?

Tim~

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » May 30th, 2005 at 11:10 am

Timmy wrote:

okay im done now. 8)

8 days and you hit the level cap? I'm not a big fan of levelling games but if its that easy, why even have a level cap?

Tim~

I think the purpose is so that the game is not a focus on lvl grinding as much as other games. I personally think that is a pretty unique for MMO's these days.

Timmy you hater! :P
-Edmund Burke

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » May 30th, 2005 at 12:20 pm

Maverick wrote:
Timmy wrote:

okay im done now. 8)

Tim~

I think the purpose is so that the game is not a focus on lvl grinding as much as other games. I personally think that is a pretty unique for MMO's these days.

Timmy you hater! :P

Yeah what Mav said. Levels dont even really matter in this game. Its about just playing the game not worrying about how to get the best xp or farm the 1337 loot.

you also need to consider that I have absolutely no life and played this game pretty much nonstop for the last week so it will take a normal person far longer to get to where I am. i actually hit the cap a few days ago but I still had a ways to go to finish the storyline. even now that i finished the storyline Im nowhere near completing the game because there is still a lot to do and more stuff that I skipped along the way that I want to go back and do.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 30th, 2005 at 1:04 pm

Including all the skill quests you skipped. :p

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”