Everquest 2

Any games such as NetHack, Neverwinter Nights, DAoC, World of Warcraft, or any other role-playing or roguelike game can be talked about here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Everquest 2

Postby Best_predator » Apr 17th, 2005 at 1:24 pm

Who plays? Im thinking about starting up again. I have lvl 10 tank and 20 Illusionist.

Nad

Postby Nad » Apr 17th, 2005 at 1:48 pm

i know a guy that plays EQ2, hasnt had sex in years.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Apr 17th, 2005 at 8:35 pm

I play EQ2 and I had sex last night.....with a girl! I have a Bard 13:10 Scholar on Mistmoore server "Alzea". I don't know why it gets such a bad rap....it's really a great game. LOL and our guild just had a political upheaval and split into two factions. Good stuff.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Apr 17th, 2005 at 9:05 pm

lol u raised his secondory? hah ure insane. Yea im deciding to get back or not, ill look for u. What times are u usually on? wats ur nick?

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Apr 18th, 2005 at 2:05 am

Alzea
Mistmoore server
I'm usually on either for an hour or two in the afternoon, sometime between 3-7pm EST or I'm on later at around 1am EST. I decided to keep my artisan level around the same as my adventure level just because I really like the crafting aspect of the game, but I also want to see all the story arcs (which requires you to do adventure quests). Plus it is much more satisfying to craft an item that you harvested most of the regents for yourself. But that will change soon because now I can't craft everything I need anymore for higher level recipes. What's weird is that I was crafting next to a guy yesterday who was a level 8 scout, but a level 48 Alchemist. Now THAT's nuts.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Apr 18th, 2005 at 9:50 am

EQ was the originator of the mindless level/item questing/spawn camping, and sadly its been the format for EVERY MMORPG since.

Tim~

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Apr 18th, 2005 at 2:44 pm

Nah....UO was before EQ. And Timmy, that's only if you play it as a powergamer. I like to enjoy the nice surroundings and do some RPing now and then. There's lots of stuff to do besides grinding. If you only grind, then yeah...it gets boring.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Apr 18th, 2005 at 3:05 pm

I'm wainting for the next Diablo II type game. I loved those games... If they just fix some of the hacking. No need for a persistent world if they just update their shit on a regular basis.

I'm surprised they haven't used the technology that allows you to utilize some cpu cycles from every members computer to run a persistent world.

SETI.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Apr 18th, 2005 at 3:34 pm

Mouser wrote:Nah....UO was before EQ. And Timmy, that's only if you play it as a powergamer. I like to enjoy the nice surroundings and do some RPing now and then. There's lots of stuff to do besides grinding. If you only grind, then yeah...it gets boring.

UO has no levelling, its treasure spawns were all random, and a good item you could use forever. Then of course EA stepped in a fucked the whole thing up, but even as screwed up as it is now, it's still WAY more casual gamer friendly then any other.

Tim~

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Apr 18th, 2005 at 3:42 pm

Timmy wrote:EQ was the originator of the mindless level/item questing/spawn camping, and sadly its been the format for EVERY MMORPG since.

Except for City of Heroes. Sorry, if you think CoH is anywhere close to the EQ/WoW type of game then you are sadly mistaken. No items, no camping. There is the level part to it, but, what of it? It's only a grind if you make it one.

Oh yea, and what about SWG? No leveling there, and I don't ever remember camping spawns or hunting for items. Granted, the game had(has?) virtually no content to speak of, but it's still quite a bit different than EQ.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Apr 18th, 2005 at 7:20 pm

I loathe CoH. There were exactly 12 missions in the entire game. String 7 of the exact same mission instance in a row and we'll call it a task force. Yuck city.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Apr 19th, 2005 at 9:58 am

I didn't mention SWG because except for rabid cellar dwelling fanboys, no one is playing that shitpile. I'm sure everyone is a Jedi by now, even the hairdressers.....

Certain genre's just don't work as MMORPG's simply because of numbers:

Star Wars doesn't because EVERYONE wants to be a Jedi.
Matrix doesn't because EVERYONE wants to be Neo.
COH's I feel while not as extreme as the above mentioned two, is close, with 5000 super-heros is there room for normal citizens? It reminds me of an old What if Comic book "What if everyone who was ever an Avenger stayed an Avenger" and has pages of stuff like 50 heroes running to save some old lady's cat.

Tim~

ratlin

Postby ratlin » Apr 28th, 2005 at 2:18 pm

Timmy wrote:
Mouser wrote:Nah....UO was before EQ. And Timmy, that's only if you play it as a powergamer. I like to enjoy the nice surroundings and do some RPing now and then. There's lots of stuff to do besides grinding. If you only grind, then yeah...it gets boring.

UO has no levelling, its treasure spawns were all random, and a good item you could use forever. Then of course EA stepped in a fucked the whole thing up, but even as screwed up as it is now, it's still WAY more casual gamer friendly then any other.

Tim~

i loved how equipment was in UO and pvp in general. just kept like 6 gm swords and armor, bandages in your bank box for when you die. sometimes your looted sometimes you loot it doesn't matter if your decent it would even out. it made pvp exciting and slighty meaning full. omg i loved runes. being able to recall or moongate where ever the hell you wanted was awesome. i freaking hate having to run across 3 zones to do anything.

you didn't have levels, but skilling up some skills truely was a grind. magic resistance? last 3 points of healing?

i miss it. to bad ea ruined it.

im cancelling my WoW account this month, it all just feels meaning less. woot i killed someone. wow, i gained something? no. he lost something? no. how long can that go on. everyone has an alt. so you hardly see the same people, the game feels empty.

i tried eqII for a little while, but i didn't like it much. the game world didn't seem solid, and i hated how you leveled up you skills. first level you buy it/craft it, next one you farm it. next level it was something else. wtf

also races where just graphics, everyone was pretty much the same with a different shape. no way to make any interesting race/job combos. pretty cookie cutter.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Oct 17th, 2005 at 12:00 am

Hate to drag this old topic up, but rather than start a new one on the EXACT same subject......yeah, it's official. I re-activated my EQ2 account. I want an mmo to play and I'm sick to death of wow. Plus I just got a new vid card so I will soon be able to play with the settings all the way up on the best looking mmo out there. Who's coming with me? Mistmoore FTW.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Oct 17th, 2005 at 3:10 am

WoW is a far superior game to EQ2

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:14 pm

Poor guy, playing the grandfather of all grinds...

Tim~

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Oct 18th, 2005 at 1:54 am

Well, I went back to wow because I know some CMs, but it's just not something I want to play indefinitely. EQ2 is alot more in depth with crafting and class selection. Wow's entire game world design bores me. The cities are not what you would expect major cities to look like...far too small. The graphics are just too cartoonish. When I get my new vid card (god i hope it's tomorrow) I can play with the settings maxed out. I played with them maxed out before but it was way too choppy to even be playable. But they were remarkable. I know the population is not even comparable with wow, but it's ok. There's still a good and healthy community alive and they've already had their first expansion released. SOE sucks, but at least I don't have to deal with a 50% rogue server population and I can actually get into crafting. Wow's crafting system is just too simplistic and useless to me. I can buy better stuff than anyone at my lvl can craft, so why bother waiting til your job is at 275 to actually be able to do anything? It all boils down to the fact that wow and eq2 are pretty much the same, but eq2 is less nub friendly and I like that. I just want to really put my card to the test.

//edit
Derf, my girl is coming over after she gets off work. So I'm fine in that aspect.

ratlin

Postby ratlin » Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:48 am

im still having fun with ffxi after 2 years. its not noob friendly at all. and it has lots of huge fucking time sinks. but i actually feel like i acomplished something at the end of the day.

someone fucked up a pull on a raid.

>_<

fighting a smning type nm.

sky, we fight gods here.

i tried wow for a little while. it was ok. to quote my ffxi board warrior "wow, is an mmo for people who suck at mmos" and i agree with him :P

i tried eqII and the game world just felt glitchy. when mobs run after you they look like they are blinking/skipping around on the screen. how you raised your skills also seemed really dumb.

Return to “RPG/Fantasy Games”