Setting up a Gridseed Blade

Discussion about digital currencies (Bitcoin and other alternatives), creating, trading markets, mining pools - all can be discussed here.

Moderator: ArcticWolfie

BeerPimp
Fresh Meat

Setting up a Gridseed Blade

Postby BeerPimp » May 13th, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Finally got my Gridseed Blade and power supply I ordered so I figured I would post some instructions on how to install it. A couple unboxing pics.

Smells like new sneakers. LOL. They know how to build nice packaging a box lined with soft foam.

Setup:

First you need a power supply. I bought a EVGA NEX750B. Surprisingly enough they included a jumper for the 24pin ATX plug. I guess they figured out lots off people are using these PSU's to power their miners.

Next you plug in the power connectors to each blade on the miner. Then connect both USB cables to your computer after each has been connected to one of the blades of the miner. The PCI-E to 2.1mm X 5.5mm barrel adapter they sent only had 22AWG wires. Which works but I think is on the edge of being big enough for the 100 watts these use total or 50watts for each blade. They say 180 watts but my Kill-A-Watt says 100 at 838MHz. I bought a new adapter that has 16AWG which overkill. I would think they should ship them with 18AWG wires.

Windows will install the drivers for the STM32 Virtual COM Port.

If it does not like when I first connected it to my Windows XP machine go here and download the STM32 Virtual COM Port driver and install it first. Then unplug and replug in both blades.
http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257938

I decided to use cgminer I like it better than bfgminer. I do not see very many people using bfgminer. You can also use a fork of the cpuminer for the gridseed I played with it a little bit but found I liked cgminer the best. If you want to try bfgminer or cpuminer try them first because if you want to run cgminer you have to install the windows driver through Zadig and to go back to those programs means uninstalling or rolling back the driver on your gridseed blade.

Next you need to load the windows drivers using zadig if you are using cgminer.
Download Zadig driver installation utility.
http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Run Zadig then click Options->List All Devices.

Select each instance of STM32 Virtual COM Port and then click Install Driver. I already did this because I had a gridseed 5 chip miner connected to this computer earlier. I clicked on Reinstall Driver just to be sure for each blade.

They came out with a new fork of cgminer for the gridseed today based on jmordica fork. It uses a config file so it does not need a bat file to run. Which is nice but confused me at first because they set the freq at 888 which I didn't want to run it at and only 5 chips where set to run. So you need to edit this config file and change chips=40 and freq=800 to start. Later you can change it to a higher frequency. freq=838 seems to be a good set point. It runs at 5.7Mh/s with little HW errors.
http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/files/cgminer-3-7-2-gridseed-windows-jmordica.zip

Lastly sometimes you have to unplug one blade and plug it back in to get it recognized after shutting down and restarting cgminer. To tell which blade is which plug in the one and run cgminer. After GSD 0: is its serial number. That way you know which is which. You can also set each blade to its own freq with this number. I have not got that far. It tells you how in the read me. Also when setting up pools look and see if they have a Gridseed address. It gets up to speed quicker. I mine at wemineltc and they have a gridseed pool address. Also they have a special address if you have over 5Mh/s of scrypt will have to hit them up on that. I feel special. :D Hope this helps.

K2
Administrator

Re: Setting up a Gridseed Blade

Postby K2 » May 14th, 2014 at 6:15 am

This is awesome. Thanks for the write up and how-to Beerpimp!

TheBackRoads
Fresh Meat

Postby TheBackRoads » May 15th, 2014 at 9:52 am

Like!! Nice write up. :D

BeerPimp
Fresh Meat

Postby BeerPimp » May 26th, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I would like to add setting so you can use cgremote to control your GS Blade. First of all I tried using the same port we used for the S1's it did not work. I tried the default port cgremote populates its form with which is 5121. I could use cgremote on the local computer but my other computers could not get api data back from cgminer. I run cgminer using a cgminer.conf file and no bat file. Here is the lines needed to add to the config file so that you can run cgremote from another computer and control your GS Blade and its pools. Unfortunately it looks like its not getting the correct numbers for accepted and rejected and HW errors.

api-listen" : true,
"api-mcast-port" : "5121",
"api-port" : "5121",
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1,W:192.168.1/24",

Return to “Cryptocurrency”