TF2 Server

Wanna discuss anything about the Hardfought game servers, from game mods to hardware specs? Do it right HERE.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., G$, Burzum, WidowMaker

MoogleCharm
Fresh Meat

TF2 Server

Postby MoogleCharm » Nov 4th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

No grainery? Intended? Don't like the map?

Also does anyone know for sure if Engineers smacking something building with his wrench make it build faster? or is it just speculation/bored?

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

1) granary seemed to be the 'ugh dont load that map' map - personally I liked it. After doing some further research on what maps get played more often than not, turns out granary actually gets played a fair amount. I'd like to add it back in. Would like some player feedback on that.

2) I dont think anything builds any faster when ya whack on it with the engineer wrench. I used to think it did... I also used to think you had to stay there for your items to construct :D

Also... something I'm thinking about doing, is making HF I the all maps server (adding granary and hydro to the rotation), and making HF II the more popular maps + custom maps server. There's quite a few custom maps floatin around out there, and I'd like to host the best ones that are the most fun to play. This idea I'll *really* need player feedback on.

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Nov 4th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Skip II and call it HF III just for nostalgia.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:33 pm

we need more maps for sure, getting stale

cp_castle is good one, although I'm sure suck will disagree since it is not his idea.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 4th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Haven't played any customs cause I only play on HF. I don't mind grainery, it was fun to me but it always went to a stalemate.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 4th, 2007 at 9:38 pm

All maps standard maps on I.

Some custom on 2 would be ok.

I think they do build ever so slightly faster if you hit it. But not enough to make it worthwhile. You are better off building something else or finding more metal or just finding something to shoot.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 4th, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Been doin some research - there's a shitload of TF2 custom maps out there, but only a very small handful get any kind of popular play. cp_lazytown seems to be the most popular custom out there right now. The overall problem is, is that the SDK for orange box hasnt been released yet. Yeah, you can make custom TF2 maps, but there's some tools lacking, and it's my understanding you have to hack in certain features/work around others. The SDK is supposed to be released sometime this month from what I gather.

What would be cool, is if Wid would make HF a HF-only TF2 map :D There was a post on the SM forums about making a map that could only be played on the server of your choosing, even after the client downloaded it for play. Saw a couple interesting ideas on how to go about doin that. How bout it Wid-h00r?

But anyways... a lot of the tf2 custom maps out there are lacking. Not using TF2 textures, missing timers, etc. If I throw customs on HF II, it's gonna be a real short list starting out.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Nov 5th, 2007 at 12:30 am

K2 wrote:Also... something I'm thinking about doing, is making HF I the all maps server (adding granary and hydro to the rotation), and making HF II the more popular maps + custom maps server. There's quite a few custom maps floatin around out there, and I'd like to host the best ones that are the most fun to play. This idea I'll *really* need player feedback on.

I'd rather see HF I as the popular maps server, and HF II as the all maps + customs server.

EatMoreLead wrote:cp_castle is good one, although I'm sure suck will disagree since it is not his idea.

Eat my ass.

-Grant.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 5th, 2007 at 1:02 am

Maverick wrote:All maps standard maps on I.

I think they do build ever so slightly faster if you hit it. But not enough to make it worthwhile. You are better off building something else or finding more metal or just finding something to shoot.

Hitting objects as they are building does not change the building time at all.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Nov 5th, 2007 at 2:35 am

The SDK is setup different then CS:S etc. A lot of the features are changed from the past, and the hacked SDK doesn't contain all the necessary information. interlopers usually keeps me up to date on TF2 SDK info, but I'm waiting for the official release to start working on maps.

I also browse other custom maps when the server is dead in the morning. mach2 I believe is a fort like map that is popular also. I'll check out some of the newer ones and recommend ones that have a theme/story level design.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:03 am

lazytown is a great map, as good as any stock map for sure. granary looks good as well.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Nov 5th, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Catharsys wrote:but I'm waiting for the official release to start working on maps.

Can you port CS:S maps over to TF2?

Your Concrete remake would make a hell of a fun sudden death map.

-Grant.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Nov 5th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I had some problems setting up the makeshift SDK. Might try again. Have to look for the map, and read up on new lighting features. Also TF2 is heavy prop dependant, and less brushes, so I'll have to look through the gcfs to find replacements for a lot of things.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 5th, 2007 at 5:40 pm

I didnt know you made maps Cath... how many have you made in the past?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 5th, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Mouser wrote:Skip II and call it HF III just for nostalgia.

HF III is dead. I will never forget it either. I played more there than on HFI and II.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Nov 7th, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I only tinkered with it. I mainly draw them out, but never get to making them.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Nov 7th, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Catharsys wrote:I only tinkered with it. I mainly draw them out, but never get to making them.

Well, that puts you on the same level of performance as our resident professional map maker. :twisted:

-Grant.

Glimmerman

Postby Glimmerman » Nov 10th, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Oreo wrote:
Maverick wrote:All maps standard maps on I.

Hitting objects as they are building does not change the building time at all.

Sorry yes it does. although with a single engineer the increase isn't that much. But two or more engineers whacking on a sentry will get it built significantly faster.

Return to “Game Server”