Civilization 5

Any game that requires real-time strategy and planning, from StarCraft to Age of Empires to Chess can be discussed here.

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Suck., Timmy

Maverick
Elite Member

Civilization 5

Postby Maverick » Sep 27th, 2010 at 3:35 pm

The game owns, I recommend everyone get it. Except sX.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

K2
Administrator

Re: Civilization 5

Postby K2 » Sep 27th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Need an in-depth review Mav, you too Timmy. Need one for SC2 also...

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 29th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

K2 wrote:Need an in-depth review Mav, you too Timmy. Need one for SC2 also...

• SC2:
    Play Warcraft for a bit, then play League of Legends for a bit...there's your answer, basically, a glorified WC/LoL. Or wait, maybe that was Company of Heroes Online... (to make it more obvious, all the same concepts imo) :P
    (Admittedly not my genre of games)
  • Civ5: Haven't played it as far as I can remember, though I have read quite a bit about it.
    Here's some reviews:
    GameSpot Written Review
    GameSpot Video Review (Could have left the fucking music out, ugh.)
    IGN Written Review
    IGN Video Review
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Nov 1st, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am a HUGE Civ fan and I was very disappointed, so much promise but falls flat. Past civ game were a challenge on Price level, this game is a breeze on price. Putting the level higher only gives the computer free stuff which is just lame and really only effects war which the AI can't conduct well at all. In 6 play through attempts I have never once had a war that threatened even one of my cities. The new rules about unit stacking are good and should make the game more realistic when it comes to war but the AI doesn't know how to use the new rules correctly. In addition the ranged units not being harmed at all when they attack, even by other ranged units is lame beyond belief. The new tech tree and resource management is excellent, new rules have the potential to make combat interesting, provided they make a major patch that rewrites the way the AI conducts war. City states had the potential to be very interesting but they end up being useless, they need to be closer to real civs, maybe have the ability to have 2 cities, and the ability for groups of them to band together on their own to declare war, rather than only going to war if you attack them. Game looks very nice IF and ONLY IF you have a DX 10 or 11 card, game does not play well with DX 9 at all. Overall it gets a C, they fix the fact that even my wife who had never played civ prior to this game was able to win on price her 1st time through and the grade can go up to a B+ or A- but the lack of a challenge kills this game.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 6th, 2010 at 12:18 am

All I can say is that the game is fun. The AI could use some tweaking but it's not a deal breaker.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Return to “RTS/Strategy Games”