How to get to Hardfought IRC!!!

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

SaGe^KS

How to get to Hardfought IRC!!!

Postby SaGe^KS » Oct 7th, 2004 at 1:30 am

#hardfought is now over at freenode.net (see http://www.freenode.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for general rules, servers and nickname registration). I'm preserving SaGe^KS's original post from 2004 as a spoiler even though it no longer applies... it's nice to remember where we used to be ;)

[spoiler]First off download the mIRC client and install it. You can get it here.

http://www.mirc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok lets start her up. This will be the first screen to pop up. Fill it out

Now click Server on the left, you will see a pop down menu. Scroll down and highlight GameSurge: Random US server

Now click Options under Connect and click on Perform

Click Enable Perform on Connect box and type in /join #hardfought then hit OK, and OK again

Now click the lil lightning bolt Image and mIRC will connect you to gamesurge and bring you directly to the channel. Just ignore that favorites menu and turn off with the check mark box on the bottom of it.

EDIT: To register an account with gamesurge, you now have to do it via their website. Go to GAMESURGE.NET and follow the instructions. Once registered, follow the instructions in the confirmation email.

Now you're registered with gamesurge, but you will hafta identify with gamesurge everytime you log on, but we can set that up so mIRC does that automatically. We need to go back to the options menu drop down View menu and click Options.

Go back to where we set up the autojoin to #hardfought and type in the following on a new line under /join #hardfought Username being your handle and Password being the password you used to REGISTER

/authserv auth username password

Ok now hit OK, then OK again to exit out of Options Menu. Hit the Image once to disconnect and hit the Image again to reconnect. Now your mIRC client should be all set.

Hopefully this should help. And thank for idling at #hardfought[/spoiler]
Last edited by K2 on Nov 3rd, 2017 at 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: changed from sticky to normal post
SaGe^KS

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Oct 7th, 2004 at 4:13 pm

Might wanna tell em how to auth and reg in irc room.

SaGe^KS

Postby SaGe^KS » Oct 15th, 2004 at 12:53 am

Might wanna actually read the post and see that it does :?
SaGe^KS

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Nov 25th, 2004 at 8:21 pm

owned.

*giggle*
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Feb 25th, 2005 at 12:22 pm

JOINING FROM A MAC

If your on a Mac at work or something, you can also join by downloading the "IRCLE" client. Just do a search on it. Dont remember if its as simple as www.ircle.com and im to lazy to find out by just tying it in the browser myself, even though i could have done it faster than it took me to type this sentence.

Anyhow if you do download it, use IRCNET as your server, and irc.gamesurge.net as your network. /join #hardfought to join us :D
ClanKiller | Shade

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » Mar 18th, 2005 at 7:40 pm

Gamesurge has been having a lot of spasms (net splits and crashes) lately causing people in the same channel not to be able to talk to one another. My suggestion is that we all join the same gamesurge server so we dont get seperated. netfire.tx.us.gamesurge.net seems to be the most reliable of all the servers and the one to which the majority of us ping the best.

to ensure that you connect to netfire youll need to add a new server in the select server window (file -> select server or alt+e). click the add button and enter in the following information.

Description: Gamesurge - Netfire
IRC Server: netfire.tx.us.gamesurge.net
Port(s): 6667 (should be default)
Group: Gamesurge

press OK then Connect to Server.

edit: this will also ensure that you dont experience a 15 minute delay like Suck. enjoyed so much. 8)

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Mar 18th, 2005 at 9:20 pm

:lol: That was fucking hilarious. I always connect to Netfire, but got disconnected in one of the grand mals that GameSurge was having. Thanks to GameSurge's glorious round robbin, I think I ended up connected to a server in Tajikistan. :roll: Yeah, so I got back to my computer a few minutes ago, and within the last two hours and fifteen minutes, GameSurge has had SEVEN major net splits. Heh, just noticed that 1:00AM to 4:30AM was one giant net split.

We're working on an alternative solution people, which would be our own IRC network. We'll keep the GameSurge channel around because so many people are on it, and we'll use a linkbot to connect the two #hardfoughts.

ParanoiaX

Postby ParanoiaX » Mar 18th, 2005 at 10:05 pm

just noticed this on my gamesurge server tab.

[18:21] -Global- I am sorry for the massive splits today. One of our hubs is having problems and I'm in the process of moving it to new hardware. Hopefully we'll only have one more round of splits this afternoon.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Mar 18th, 2005 at 10:35 pm

Yeah the australian server is the one I normaly connect to cause it has port 7000 so I can get past the firewall, but its down right now so I had to jump back onto one of the random wireless networks around me so I could on. I use netfire when I am at home though. Damn gamesurge and their shitty network.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » May 23rd, 2005 at 2:30 am

K2, b4nshee, Nad, and I are almost always on Hardfought IRC in channel #hardfought if anyone needs an admin. This is probably looking better and better to some of you, as I've been getting PMs over instant messaging services for help since Gamesurge has gone down the shitter bigtime. Anyhow, here are some tips for those of you running mIRC. If you're on Gamesurge, and you wanna' get to Hardfought IRC without closing your current server connection (and all its channels etc), type this:

Code: Select all

/server -m irc.hardfought.org

Just a note if you decide to put it in your perform buffer: You might consider instead creating a Hardfought server group with the HF IRC server, and putting connect to Gamesurge in its perform buffer. Otherwise, if you have connect to HF IRC in the Gamesurge perform list, everytime Gamesurge crashes and you reconnect, it'll run its perform and connect to HF IRC with another instance. If you do create a HF IRC server group with its own perform buffer to connect to Gamesurge, be sure to add/enter:

Code: Select all

/join #hardfought
/server -m Prothid.CA.US.GameSurge.Net

See kids, it doesn't have to be an either/or. I in fact have mine set up with dependable Hardfought IRC as my primary server, then using its perform buffer, I join Gamesurge, which runs its perform buffer at this point. If anyone needs help on Perform Buffer commands, server groups, etc, maybe I'll find time to make a quick screenie tutorial like Sage, since that section of his tutorial is inadequate for connections to multiple servers. Just ask, and I'll think about helping you...

As for Gamesurge, if you're looking to get the most out of if possible, while I normally use Netfire.TX.US.GameSurge.net since I ping well to it and it had been rock solid, but since it died for a few weeks there, it's been less than dependable. During the past couple weeks though, I've been very successfull with Prothid.CA.US.GameSurge.Net, an L.A. server. In the recent onslaught of netsplits, I've have every single time ended up on the Chanserv side of the split, meaning I'm never actually falling victim to the split. On the other hand, you could just join Hardfought IRC.

-Grant.

Nad

Postby Nad » Jan 5th, 2006 at 1:18 pm

For those actually reading this thread, irc.hardfought.org is no longer working. It might come back up in the future, which is why i did not edit Suck.'s post, but for now just use GameSurge.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Nad

Re: How to get to Hardfought IRC!!!

Postby Nad » Jul 17th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Bump, updated registration instructions in original post.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 28th, 2015 at 9:10 am

I'm the only one in there ever. Have been idling in there for years on end alone. Oh, Keith stops in for a week every now and then, but it's pretty lonely. Even Chanserv won't hang out with me when it's just lonely old me. lol.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 28th, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I should probably mention that #hardfought has moved over to freenode.net, about a year ago... I even updated the main page with that info, but I doubt hardly anyone noticed. I am parked in there, Catharsys has popped in once or twice for a few minutes. I'm there if you guys ever wanna chit-chat.

doofy

Postby doofy » Apr 30th, 2015 at 1:15 am

I recall it being a little more active a year or so ago with some crypto currency talk. I occasionally idle freenode, forgot to add hardfought to my auto join!

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:41 am

That was the other chat room I put up last year - that one is an ajax-based chatroom ran on the webserver, has nothing to do with IRC.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 6th, 2015 at 1:36 am

Hey all, if you're going to pop into IRC and chat, it helps if you actually stick around :) I'm a busy man, I'm not glued to the screen all the time like we all used to be back in the day.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » May 6th, 2015 at 8:18 am

I'll hop in this evening.

-Grant.

Return to “General Discussion”