Just moved...

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

KillerClown

Just moved...

Postby KillerClown » Jun 18th, 2016 at 10:52 pm

It's not Texas... but I just moved to SC with my mom (since she had 3 strokes a few years ago and I'm pretty much the only one around to help her out) 300 miles away from where I've lived my entire life (37 years). It's great and terrible all at the same time. Her mom passed away May 16, her and her brother inherited the house (well, inherited the loan for the house) and her brother signed off on his rights, so she decided to take over the payments (since she was just renting a shitty single wide trailer before and she can get this house for $115 less per month than she was paying in rent).

Got a nice little brick house here with about an acre of land almost fully enclosed in a 5.5' chain-link fence (minus a piece of the front yard near the driveway). My [15 year old] Boston Terrier had to be put to sleep last year around July (I've suffered from depression for several years now and this nearly took me over the edge), we ended up adopting a Labrador from the animal shelter. She's pretty amazing, and very active, so this yard has been an awesome bonus.

House is in pretty good condition, needed/needs a few little maintenance things done (faucets/toilet guts replaced, front porch needs new concrete paint, driveway & house need pressure washing, car shelter posts need repainting, etc etc.), I've done some of them but still have a long way to go.

Had a shitload dropped on my shoulders to get this move and all taken care of and I've been heavily paying for it physically. For 2 weeks leading up to this whole ordeal I had a pain at the base of the left side of my neck. After doing all the moving, etc., the problem has evolved to be quite a bit worse... I now have an excruciating pain that goes from that spot on my neck all the way out to my shoulder joint. Standing straight up/leaning forward causes the pain to gradually strengthen to the point it is unbearable and I have to lean back in a chair or something to ease it at all. If I try to hold that arm up, like holding a phone to my ear, then my arm just starts going numb.

I've had back problems for over a decade and the move has my back at a point where I struggle to do much of anything I want to get done, no matter how much I want to get them done (part of why a lot of the things I listed above haven't been done yet, I can barely get one or two things done in a day). Almost completely stuck with trying to get the furniture/appliances arranged now because I don't know anyone here, thus I have nobody to help me move this stuff around. So I'm stuck looking at a house with shit just crammed into just about every room. The worst part is I didn't even get all of our stuff from the last place, I had to take a good portion to my dad's house and store in his garage until I can make more trips up to pick it up.

I made 5 trips back and forth so far to move and then to pick stuff up, including the first trip down when her mom passed away I've driven well over 3500 miles in the last month. This also didn't help the neck/shoulder situation and certainly wasn't good for my back.

I don't do doctors, too much of the stuff they prescribe serves no purpose besides masking something, and I'm pretty heavily against most pharmaceuticals. There are good uses for them, I'm not denying this, but so many medicines have ridiculous amounts and types of side-effects that I'm just not willing to risk it. I do have a considerably high pain tolerance, which is probably part of why I can manage to get by without doctors. My problems are mostly pain though, so I'm certainly not about to start a pain pill addiction just to mask it, I've seen too many people go downhill thanks to these.

Well, I'm running out of thoughts... :P
I probably should have titled this post "Rambling on with KillerClown", oh well. :twisted:

Pictures
My dog Camilla A.K.A. Gooby, guest appearance by Smokey A.K.A. DodoFishMcNuggetSaladSandwich or Dodo for short 8)

New faucet, nothing special. Didn't actually intend to include it but whatever.

Some pictures of the yard.

Trying to work on this spot, seems like the oak trees are preventing the ground from getting enough water in this area. Hopefully I can get some grass growing there.

Progress made so far pressure washing the driveway.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Re: Just moved...

Postby K2 » Jun 19th, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Hey KC. First, while it's on my mind - I used to have the same kind of neck pain during my 2nd tour in Iraq. Couldn't turn my head without lightning bolts of pain shooting through my neck and upper back. Uneven weight distribution of my kit and how I slung my carbine pulled a couple ribs out of place, which pulled on some tendons and ligaments, which caused the pain. My wife (she's a physical therapist) knew exactly what was wrong and I thought she was crazy. Sure as shit, she popped my ribs back into place, pain was gone like it never existed. Go see a PT.

House and yard look nice man, congrats. I'm convinced if you have a dog, you need a yard they can run around in and be free and be safe at the same time. You probably won't get grass to grow in the spot between the trees unless you plant a different variety (bleh). Or you could try watering it some more... also don't mow the yard so low. Let it grow a lil higher and get thick. I'm having to do the same thing because of two dogs running in my yard is causing bald spots.

Hang in there. Get your neck fixed (prob not your neck but referred pain from elsewhere) and the pain gone, everything else will start to fall into place.

KillerClown

Re: Just moved...

Postby KillerClown » Jun 20th, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, friend of mine said a doctor told him roughly the same thing about the neck/shoulder, said usually pain is a result of a, seemingly, unrelated issue. I've tried stretching and several different suggestions I've read across the internet to no avail. It did actually ease off most of yesterday, but I've also taken a couple days off from moving stuff around and unpacking in order for that to happen. But the pain is back to some extent today. Beyond not liking doctors, I can't really afford to go to them anyway, since I have no insurance and my back problems make it near impossible for me to work any sort of normal job. Can't get disability because I haven't paid enough into the system in the years I've worked. Hell, when I applied for disability the state-paid doctor spent no more than 3 minutes examining me and then told the DSS effectively that there was nothing wrong with me (never even asked me any questions or anything, just had me walk 4 feet across the floor and then poked his fingers at my back for 10 seconds).

I have personal issues with applying for this stuff anyway, I've always been strongly against 'living off the government', having never applied for any assistance of any kind (unemployment/food stamps/etc) previous to the disability claim. And the fact I don't go to doctors, and just deal with whatever pain I suffer, leaves me with essentially nothing to prove my claim. Whole situation is very similar to the house situation, where everything that needs to be done depends on something else being done that requires the first thing to be done, just a giant circle of incompletable shit, lol.

That's actually one of the most stressful parts of this for me, the fact that 4 out of 5 rooms in the house here are just stuffed with things, most of which I can't move by myself, and I don't know anyone here. I had to pay the Mexicans across the street to help me unload the moving truck to begin with and after the whole move, spending nearly $1700, I just don't have any money left this month to pay for any more help. Can't get any of my few friends in NC to drive here to help (hard to even ask anyone to take an 8 hour trip just to help you move heavy stuff around), my younger brother lives closer than anyone else I know and he's still ~3 hours away (and he's going to school at NC State, so I'd have to wait until he got a break from school to begin with).

I just noticed I mistyped, my dog is a Boxador (Boxer/Lab mix), not just Lab. I just got the dog door setup for her 2 days ago, she's been spending a LOT of time outside laying in the sun and roaming around the yard (chewing on loose landscape timbers lol), definitely better than where we were before (only had a 3' crappy fence around a, roughly, 20'x12' area), she always jumped the fence and ran around the neighborhood there. She's slowly realizing there isn't going to be any of that here, but at least her yard is big enough here that I don't think she's as incentivized to jump over as she was previously.

I bought a variety grass seed and tossed it around in that area of the yard last week, it was a dense shade variety. It hasn't seemed to set in yet though, the ground is quite hard around that area so it may take a lot more work than I can realistically invest, for now anyway. I haven't actually cut the grass yet, it's been probably a month and a half or so since it was last cut. That's actually another part of the stress... the only mower I have is a push mower (I sold my riding mower to my dad when I moved the last time because I didn't need it anymore), and while the mower does have motorized front wheels this yard is quite sloped, I don't know how successful I will be push mowing this much sloped yard (and, as noted above, I just don't have money to pay someone to cut the yard. Maybe after things settle down and we get bills all sorted and figured out we could afford to have someone come once or twice a month, but that's a 2-3 months out at a minimum).

I know eventually everything will come together, it is really just extremely stressful and frustrating ATM. This house will save us money, hopefully enough to justify moving 300 miles away from everyone/everything. Most of this isn't for me though, it's for my mom. She deserves a nice little house, etc. versus that piece of shit trailer she was in before. I even got her the first HDTV she's ever had from some of the money we gathered for the move (not counting this in that $1700 figure above).
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Return to “General Discussion”