Doomsaday Preppers vs. Doomsday Bunkers

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Doomsaday Preppers vs. Doomsday Bunkers

Postby K2 » Mar 25th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Any of you all watch these? DP is on the National Geographic channel, DB is on Discovery. Curious what your opinions are for those of ya that do watch.

I like Preppers better than Bunkers. Some hard-core extremists/crazies on both, but on Preppers you can glean some useful info and I like the way they grade each person/group.

KC - when are you gonna be featured? :lol:

sX
Elite Member

Re: Doomsaday Preppers vs. Doomsday Bunkers

Postby sX » Mar 26th, 2012 at 4:41 am

I'm sure KC is going to be on that show. I'm actually positive he is.

I can't believe people actually do this. Though.. when the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm definitely heading their direction.
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Nad

Postby Nad » Mar 26th, 2012 at 9:46 am

sX, if you head their way, you'll get shot.

Store up some food, store up some ammo, and to be honest, if all hell breaks loose like these people think it will, you don't want to survive more than a few months. If you do, surviving the initial wave of deaths(plague, famine, natural disaster, etc) by having a decent food supply and maintaining enough weapons to go take what you need after the fact, is how you are going to live.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Possibly Paul... I think it would depend on the kind of scenario.

I do some prepping, but not for doomsday type crap. We have a small food/water supply stored in the event of us being cut off because of flooding (fall of 2011, tropical storm Irene - very much a reality here) or if we get a severe blizzard that dumps 6+ feet of snow (has also happened in the past up here). I also keep two military grade gas masks w/ fresh filters available within easy reach (protect against smoke inhalation in the event of a house fire). Sig 9mm in my bedside drawer, Remington 870 tactical pump-action 12 gauge shotgun in the house for home defense. Something else I wanna get eventually would be a solar panel array - electricity cuts out here every so often. We have our own well (bonus) but no electricity = pump no workie = no water. So it'd be nice to be able to be self-sufficient in that regard as well as being able to save on the electric bill throughout the year. We want a wood-burning stove also as a back-up heat souce (we currently heat our home using propane).

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Loool
I don't watch TV sX, I have seen one of these shows (DoomPrep) just a couple times while hanging out at a friends house. Have you actually listened to what some of these peoples scenarios are? Ahahah, and yeah that's coming from someone who does have some strange ideas and opinions, but at least I TRY to keep mine within some realm of "reality".

Zombies? Hmm, well, I could direct that in a way that could actually be more "realistic". Many people think that HAARP is Nikola Tesla's "death ray", and that it has mind-control capabilities, and these things do exist in some rather key locations around the world. Others think it's more about weather control, which technically can be scientifically proven that what they do CAN control cloud movement to some extent, one guy that lives near the Alaska HAARP claims this device he has created shows how HAARP could be used for mind control using low-frequency waves that the brain actually interacts with. So mind-controlled "zombies"? :P

One family claims they are preparing for a very quick/massive continent shift. I definitely lol @ that, sorry. Even if it were to happen, let's be realistic about how DEVASTATING to the planet and life on the planet that would be, specifically life that exists outside of the water. All those stockpiles of shit they have would likely be destroyed along with the people who stockpiled them.

If there is/were something devastating coming to 'destroy' earth/civilization, and anyone knew about it, the only purpose having these people on TV will serve is to attempt to have the majority of these people "related" to each other (not family-related, I mean related as in "tracked"), so that they will know exactly where to go to take out the majority of [prepared] people. lol

I will never be on either, as I'm not preparing for those sorts of catastrophes. I've never really pushed doomsday stuff as far as I can remember, only contributed info for thought, because regardless of fact/fiction, it's good to keep your mind open and think outside the box, while generally staying within reality :P. I personally look at it like I mentioned before, if something that massive/devastating is coming, or happens, it's not likely the majority of life will survive. And science does "show" that life on this planet has been wiped out up to 95-99% several times. That's one of the larger reasons I've always felt 'Global Warming' is just a scam, yes humans contribute CO2, but the amount, I think, is highly controversial in comparison to what the earth naturally produces (more-specifically the oceans).

If you are going to hoard stuff and "prepare", don't advertise what you are doing to a bunch of people, closest family/friends only, the rest are ALL potential threats to your supplies in the event something did happen. That is these family's BIGGEST downfall, how many MILLIONS of people now know that these people have stockpiles? Durrrrrrrr. And that isn't from a prepper, just from logical thinking. :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Mar 26th, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I've always wanted to get solar panels, bit expensive unless you straight-out own your house.
Example: (4x) 235-watt panels - $3,161.22 ($9XX.XX/each)

I'm not 'too' concerned about flooding, 1999 gave a pretty good idea of what flooding in NC would look like, though it was more specifically based on rainfall flooding, not a tsunami-type flood (but I think the outer banks gives where I'm at a sort-of extra barrier from that kind of flood, though there are many factors that would really determine a tsunami's impact here).

(If you look at the upper deep purple area, I'm somewhere around the bottom loop of the second 6 in '16.06')
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Vermont is progressive in the way that they give homeowners and businesses varied and affordable options for 'going green'. There's an initiative up for vote this November in our town called PACE (property assessed clean energy - http://energy.westfordvt.us/PACE%20Overview.pdf ) that we'd love to take advantage of if it passes. Would make having solar panels and other upgrades a reality much earlier than we had ever hoped.

Vermont is mostly mountainous terrain, where all the flooding was happening was in all the valleys where a lot of people live. It didnt happen right away either. All that rain that fell when Irene passed though last fall, all the runoff from the mountains turns small creeks into raging torrents in a matter of hours. We live up on the side of a high hill so we'd be ok, but we're about 1.5 miles from a section of a very significant river. Being cut off from everything should it flood is a very real possibility.

Return to “General Discussion”