post your speed test

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Suck.
Benefactor

Re: post your speed test

Postby Suck. » Dec 18th, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Dallas's Speakeasy server is one of the only servers I've found which gives me a consistent, accurate result. Here's my result from the closest server:

Doing some other random tests at different servers, I was getting numbers even lower than 4 Mb/s. I'm definitely able to download over 1MB/s, so that's just whacked. For some reason Dallas Speakeasy always gives me good numbers.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:24 am

Something is weird with my connection, though. I can download from a single source at like 1.3MB/s, but torrents usually cap out at 835KB/s. That's still half again as fast as the 4 Mb/s that my closest speedtest server tells me, though. Meh.

-Grant.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Bastards...
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

That tests browser speed included with internet speed, and it appears to only have 1 server (which is entirely inaccurate for my connection). The tests we were doing have many servers allowing you to choose the closest, and it specifically tests internet speed, browser is kind of pointless to test (I can expand on "kind of pointless" if needed).

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 26th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Hey KC just FYI that was another bot, this one from India. Post you replied to deleted ;)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 27th, 2011 at 8:18 am

Ah yeah, and now since we moved into the new house, this is our roundabout internet speed...

From my crappy lil netbook over wifi. I can sometimes peak at 22mbps d/l, the u/l stays pretty consistent.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:14 am

That was a bot? It like literally replied to the topic? :P
I was suspect of it, but that it was on topic was slightly convincing. lol

That's pretty crappy, in some aspect, you got some nice speed but your ping is insanely high to be a "local" server. Same listed distance as the server I used (<50 miles), yet you have almost 3x the ping, something isn't right. :P

Edit: This is pretty much maxed out for me (8meg DSL), took the phone co. almost 3 weeks to get my line fixed after the hurricane.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 27th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Hahah holy shit, I know I sometimes get boosts in speed much higher than my rated plan (12 mbps) but this is nuts, just ran this test 30 sec ago...

Ping is even higher than before. Gonna run a pathping and see what's up.

EDIT - couple things, first being somewhat ignore that speedtest I just posted in this reply, it's a lil inflated. Ran the test a few more times, it's averaging out to around 16-18mbps d/l.

Went to the pingtest.net site and ran its test, seems my best ping is to Montreal, QC...

I am however gonna run a comprehensive pathping to that server in Burlington, it's gotta be a router between me and it or their server itself, as Burlington is a lot closer to me than Montreal.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Sep 27th, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hmm, IIRC with 12meg you should be capping right at 1MB/sec (note: I'm referring to actual download speed, not the speedtest results (12mb/s on speedtests).

You should hit, and likely somewhat stabilize, right around 12mb/s (speedtest results) if you have 12meg cable. But I have seen those tests do funky things when combined with wireless/wifi and other odd setups. (I have a gateway security/firewall that causes similar issues). Or are you running something like Kaspersky? (Kaspersky is known to have caused that at some point, not sure exactly about right now). (I use MS Security Essentials & Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro)
In somewhat technical terms, it's like something in your network is acknowledging packets that it isn't really receiving, or in the case of antivirus programs, it's receiving the data & analyzing it, then dumping it back to the speed test application so fast that it's causing "erroneously high results".
(Could also be causing erroneous ping results)

(Unless for some odd reason the cable co. has hooked you up with an uncapped line (seems unlikely :P ))

I was going to do a few more tests but I'm downloading a new SWTOR beta client atm (something like 36gb). :P
My speeds are pretty much always the same 7.92-7.95MB/s (speedtest results).

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 17th, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Sometimes having a newer, faster computer plus optimizing your wireless router can improve things...

Ran this test four times and it's basically this result with only very slight differences.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 15th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Comcast just sent notification that they upgraded our internet service for free. Rebooted the modem, this is what I am getting now...

And for some reason speedtest has my location in southern Kansas. Weird.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Nov 21st, 2013 at 1:39 am

Most speedtests, and other services, don't actually see your location, they see the route and "guess"/or gather the data from a server on the network. Kinda like how speedtests & Google usually think I'm in Fayetteville (which is around 2 hours away from me).

I'm still on 8meg lol, don't know when, if ever, we will get another upgrade to speed, I'm sitting basically at the end of the line here. The fucking suckass part is that cable also ends near my house, like 50 feet down the street, so I JUST CAN'T get cable...I miss cable, lol.

They also dropped the Wilson, NC server that you can see on my tests before (Wilson is only 30 miles from me). Speedtest says that the Durham, NC server is less than 50 miles from me, but Durham is 110 miles away. Durham is also 90 miles from Fayetteville, so, yeah not too sure where it thinks I am currently. :P

Did they drop your Boston server? Why are you using a Quebec server? (Judging by pins it looks like the Boston was considerably closer)

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 21st, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I'm only 90 min or so from Montreal, Quebec, maybe 40 min from the Canadian border.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » May 6th, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Max Down: ~31MB/s | Max Up: 2.3MB/s

Moved back to the place I used to live, for varying reasons, used to have 12meg cable here, now 30meg. :D
Speedtest thinks I'm in Kansas, lol (lists Wichita, KS as local server).
Could upgrade to 50-100meg, just don't see a need currently. :P
What's funny is in the planning/process of moving my DSL company decided to do a rolling update for my area, so I went from 8 to 10 last Monday, but I had the cable turned on Tuesday. Shitty part is I moved my PC here Tuesday to mess with the interwebz a little, got it all disassembled/packed/moved/unpacked/reassembled only to find out my PSU was fried, had to wait until today to finally get a new PSU.

PumpActionJackson

Postby PumpActionJackson » May 11th, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Awwww yissss.... Stroke that e-peen!!
You might recognize me. I am the black guy from PREDATOR.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Jun 23rd, 2014 at 4:29 pm

FU Jackson. I need that upload lol. :D

Actually, just upgraded a few days ago, can't get it to hit 50meg yet, but it will happen. :P
Got new mobo and video card a couple weeks ago, too.

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Dec 31st, 2014 at 12:11 am

Wee, doggy, Suddenlink gave me a free upgrade for Christmas, went from 50/3 to 75/6 and tests at 80/8.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jan 7th, 2015 at 9:02 am

I moved, and had half again as much as these speeds, as I was one of the only people in my neighborhood on Time Warner. They actually had to turn on the lines in my easement, as nobody along my side of the street or anyone behind us had Time Warner. Unfortunately though, when Comcast acquired Time Warner, my speed got throttled to this, which is still much better than the last place I lived.

-Grant.

doofy

Postby doofy » Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:47 pm

I guess I'm never allowed to complain about my service. Apparently there's some people getting 300mbps from Time Warner here in LA too.

doofy

Postby doofy » Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:49 pm

KC I figured you would still be on dial up... and would still be awping like a champion.

Nad

Postby Nad » Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:16 am

Funny you say that. I play Destiny a lot, and people figured out that you could glitch boss mobs by using a dial up connection for the host player and get easy kills.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 7th, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I recently upgraded our internet connection to a business-class line (I started my own consulting business back in December). Not too shabby...

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Feb 22nd, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I'm on the list for Google fiber. They're installing it in this part of the city some time this year. I will post a test as soon as I've got it. :twisted:

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Feb 23rd, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Nice Grant, you lucky SOB :)

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:38 pm

doofy wrote:KC I figured you would still be on dial up... and would still be awping like a champion.

I haven't played CS in a long, long time now, outside of maybe 10 hours total between CSS and CSGO since steam added the stats for CSS into their application (nearly 5 years ago now). It's not, and hasn't been, the same game since they added those, when they also changed recoil and other game mechanics. Honestly, I have yet to find a shooter that I liked playing other than America's Army 3, and it's population was so low that I only played for 6 months or so.

I'm also getting old these days, we weren't all 12 back in the HF days. :P Lost a lot of my skill at shooters, partially because of age (combined with the gradual onset of hereditary osteoarthritis (though most of the effect this has on me is in my back, it does still affect my other joints)) and partially because I just let myself get out of practice. I do frequently think about, and even talk about, the days when I used to be good. I definitely miss those days.

On topic:
The upgrade I previously mentioned is, in the words of my cable provider, "another step on the way to 1gbit service", which they announced in August last year. And unlike Google/AT&T, this service is planned to be available [virtually] to 100% of their customers.

[spoiler]Quarter-Billion-Dollar Investment to Make 1 Gig Service Widely Available

ST. LOUIS (August 11, 2014) – Suddenlink today announced a program that will progressively boost Internet speeds and make a 1 Gigabit per second service available to virtually all of the company's customers.

"Earlier this year, PC Magazine singled us out as one of the top broadband service providers in the U.S.," said Suddenlink Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jerry Kent. "This program will help us build on that distinction, extend our broadband leadership, and continue providing the best customer experience possible."

To support the effort, known internally as Operation GigaSpeed, Suddenlink's board of directors last week approved an investment of almost a quarter-billion dollars, above and beyond other capital improvements. The company will use the funds to upgrade network and in-home equipment and complete its conversion to all-digital video.

Kent added: "While companies like Google and AT&T are offering or planning to offer 1 Gigabit service in a relatively few, selected neighborhoods in urban and large suburban cities, we will take it to small and mid-sized markets and rural areas – and in those communities, it will be available to 100 percent of our customers."

Kent said he expects nearly half of the planned 1 Gigabit launches to be completed next year and most of the remainder the following year. In addition, while Suddenlink already offers its business customers a range of custom services capable of multi-Gigabit speeds, the company also plans to enhance its standard commercial services through this project.

Suddenlink will communicate additional details to customers after the investments are started in each community and again when 1 Gigabit speeds are available.

Suddenlink (suddenlink.com) is the seventh largest cable broadband company in the United States, supporting the information, communication and entertainment demands of approximately 1.4 million residential and commercial customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia and elsewhere. Suddenlink simplifies its customers' lives through one call for support, one connection, and one bill for TV, Internet, phone and other services.[/spoiler]

So by some time in 2016 it's planned to be fully in effect, I can't wait. :P

Return to “General Discussion”