Your IMAX really isn't an IMAX after all

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Your IMAX really isn't an IMAX after all

Postby JayPhat » May 12th, 2009 at 2:37 pm

http://consumerist.com/5250698/does-you ... -imax-lite

I personally haven't been to an IMAX theater in damn near a decade. Even then, it was some boring shit at Cedar Point and the only reason we were in the room was to take advantage of the fact it was air conditioned and 99 degrees outside.

Nad

Re: Your IMAX really isn't an IMAX after all

Postby Nad » May 12th, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Never been to an IMAX theater, is it worth it?
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » May 12th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I've been told that so long as the movie is good, the experience is ten times better. Look what the ST nerds shelled out to see it in IMAX.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » May 21st, 2009 at 4:12 pm

TDK was pretty sweet in IMAX

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » May 25th, 2009 at 3:41 am

If you haven't gone to IMAX, makes sure you take a piss before going in there and make sure you sit towards the back. My eyes were EXHAUSTED after watching Spider man 3 because you can't stop looking left and right to get the full picture.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jun 21st, 2009 at 7:22 am

+1 on sitting towards the back. You lose some of the surround sound but you lose the eye strain too. I've seen a few 3D movies and a few that are made for the regular screen on the IMAX so I'll give you my take on it.

Mini-Movies made for IMAX
The little 45 minute long 3D movies that are made specifically for the IMAX are usually decent 2.5-3 star films. The 3D effects are absolutely spectacular. It's nothing like the old red/blue glasses of old. It's a very immersive experience where it looks like the whole screen is projecting into the audiance.

Real Movies made for IMAX
If you get a chance to see a movie that you'd normally watch in the regular theater on an IMAX screen in 3D, take it. Usually they're family movies like 'The Polar Express', 'Monster's vs. Aliens' but I love those kindsa movies. (I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my desk.) Just like the mini-movies they use awesome 3D that turns the screen into a cube.

Made for normal theater
I saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy on the IMAX. It was a little disappointing because it didn't fill the whole screen. It was still HUGE but it not filling the whole screen was a little disappointing.
I also saw The Dark Knight. What a totally awesome movie with or without the IMAX. Their outdoor scenes were shot with an IMAX camera so most of the movie was a fairly large projection across the middle of the screen, but when they cut to something out doors it became REALLY immersive. Seeing that semi flip over on a 6 story screen is very memorable. It gave the outdoor scenes a large as life feel and worked well to further the experience.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Return to “General Discussion”