Hurricane Ike

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Hurricane Ike

Postby K2 » Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:39 am

Fuck. Any of you directly affected by this? Get the hell out of this things way. Stay safe people.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 13th, 2008 at 1:15 am

I have never heard until now the government issue an official warning to people that says if you stay, "you will face imminent death."

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 13th, 2008 at 3:16 am

They have in the past... last one was for Katrina in 2005.

sX
Elite Member

Postby sX » Sep 13th, 2008 at 4:04 am

I have family here from Houston staying with us in San Antonio. I don't know if yall remember that flood that hit Houston a few years back.

Stay safe G$..

-sX
(o )^( o) Tetas.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 13th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I have 3 brothers who live in Port Arthur and two have families.

None of them left this time, every previous time they always evacuated. Including for Hurricane Gustav a couple weeks ago, they were staying with us for those few days. They've lived there for over 10 years so they've been thru a lot. Not sure why they would risk the kids lives though.

Haven't heard word from them yet, but at least the seawall in Port Arthur held back the surge.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Shinigami

Postby Shinigami » Sep 13th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Light rain and light wind here in Carrolton ATM, but my brother's getting pretty beat up in College Station.

Glad I don't still work in Houston.

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Sep 13th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

We (in H-town) got hit very hard. Lots of downed trees and about 4.5 million without power. Also, one of the cities main water treatment plants lost power which lowered the city water pressure by 75%. It just trickles out in our house so, while we do have power (I think, seriously, we are the only ones in Houston with power), we have no water pressure. This is the worst hurricane to hit Houston since Alicia in 83. I was here for that one and I know this one hit with a stronger punch and lingered longer, probably because it was so huge, physically. Keep H-town in yer prayers!

Camps

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:47 am

Talked to my sister at Rice last night and she said that right now the town just looks like it was bombed, trees and parts of buildings everyplace in downtown Houston.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 15th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I know we got nothing compared to what you got in Texas but we got the remnants of it last night. It looks like a war zone in this town. Some peoiple won't have power for a week. Trees are down all over the place and there is alot of damage to homes that the homeowners just won't be able to afford to fix.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Sep 15th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Yeh, we had 3 tornadoes in my area a couple days ago as part of the aftermath of Ike.

-Grant.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Some dipshit round here is in critical condition after running an extension cord from his house to his neighbors house that had electric, not noticing his cord was frayed all to hell. Total without electric is 1.5 million with an estimated return time of 8 to 9 days.

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Sep 17th, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I go hit hard in North Houston around Spring. Still without power in Midtown which is a area next to downtown. Gas and Ice are hot commodities around here. UH reopened on Tues for some reason, but going back gives me electricity, internet, and showers.

Relic

Postby Relic » Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

The storm was approx 200 miles wide and the eye pretty much went up I-45 North. There is damage from Galveston (complete devastation type) all the way to Conroe.

Were still without power here in my part of Magnolia. We have natural gas and water, and with a generator, we are almost normal. Just found out we may not have power till thursday, I'm headed to home depot to invest in a window AC unit.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Sep 20th, 2008 at 7:13 am

Just checking in! I got my power back here in houston a few days ago but I know 60% of the city is still powerless. I hope they're keeping as best they can.

It's common sense when it hits you but there are a few things like a city wide curfew for 2 weeks that tends to take you by surprise as well. The city changed very quickly and I can't tell you how glad I am they weren't breaking a levy over my head. Lots of mixed highs or lows. Fema didn't have water and food for the rescue workers called in from out of state... so a Tx congressman came on the radio and begged people to donate food and water. We did but it's a crazy thing to have to chip in so the national guard doesn't start truckin' everyone out.

Anyway, all in all, you get through it and I can think of MUCH worse. Like being closer to the coast. We came out a little dazed but feeling lucky.

Hope you guys are all well.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 20th, 2008 at 1:49 pm

As of 8AM thins morning, 20% of Columbus is still without power. And the local television stations here are running reports "Why is it taking so long for power to come back on?" WTF people? It was the extremely strong leftovers of A GOD DAMN HURRICANE, On the flip side, the president of the local power company was quoted as saying "we're going to be seeing a surcharge on customers bills later on in the year to recover the costs of this." Fuck that. I pay my electric bill to get power and maintain infrastructure. If you have damage, thats your problem, not mine. I didn't agree to pay for any of the shit you fixed.

Nad

Postby Nad » Sep 22nd, 2008 at 11:15 pm

We went 75 days without power during Katrina, so any of you doing without might as well, in the words of Jim Cantore, "hunker up" for a while.

Can you believe they are still not allowing residents of Galveston back on the island? I've got a buddy stuck in Mexico because they won't let him back to his home. That's some BS right there.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:02 am

sX wrote:I have family here from Houston staying with us in San Antonio. I don't know if yall remember that flood that hit Houston a few years back.

Stay safe G$..

-sX

<3 sX

It sucked. I am in League City which if googled and superimposed on the hurricane's path was pretty much dead center. It's 30 odd miles inland just off Galveston Bay. Nothing wrong with my place except leaning fences and a ton of debris in my yard but within a quarter mile of here lots of flooding, and within a few more miles folks lost everything. I have been spending every available spare moment helping folks clean up and developing new lumberjack mad chainsaw skilz.

We decided to stay and the only reason I am sorry I did was because everyone that left got to take the week off and I got to work my buns off to cover for them. I slept on and off thru the storm but woke up when the eye passed over. I went outside and there were people up and down the street standing and looking around. At that point we still had power and I thought we had it made but the back side of the storm was much worse and both power and fences failed. I was only without power from early saturday morning until mid sunday morning though.

The owner of my company and several employees live (lived) on Galveston Island and they are just now getting a chance to see their houses. Many people still do not have power and do not expect it for several more weeks. Gas was in good supply as of late last week but perishables are still hard to come by in some cases. We ordered Pizza last night and could not get all the ingredients. You may or may not find Eggs at the store. Minor inconveniences granted, but considering it's 2 weeks post hurricane today it's sobering.

I have a few crappy pics I took of a park down the street from me and some of the streets in my neighborhood I'll try to get posted and link to.

G$

Return to “General Discussion”