Wal-Mart 'secret' sale

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Wal-Mart 'secret' sale

Postby K2 » Nov 1st, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Hah. Check this shit out - http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

I read about Wallyworld doin a sale on their Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A2) for just under 200 bucks. Now the same player is on sale for under 100 bucks. That's fuckin' crazy. They also got a 50" plasma HDTV for under 1000, and some other stuff. I'd check the specs on that plasma screen (anything under 1900x1200 pixels is NOT true hi-def spec), but for any of ya wanting to jump into a hi-def entertainment center upgrade, this is definitely a good place to start.

Jayphat... how come no heads up this, eh?? Fucker :twisted:

Maverick
Elite Member

Re: Wal-Mart 'secret' sale

Postby Maverick » Nov 2nd, 2007 at 12:10 am

K2 wrote:Hah. Check this shit out - http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

I read about Wallyworld doin a sale on their Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A2) for just under 200 bucks. Now the same player is on sale for under 100 bucks. That's fuckin' crazy. They also got a 50" plasma HDTV for under 1000, and some other stuff. I'd check the specs on that plasma screen (anything under 1900x1200 pixels is NOT true hi-def spec), but for any of ya wanting to jump into a hi-def entertainment center upgrade, this is definitely a good place to start.

Jayphat... how come no heads up this, eh?? Fucker :twisted:

Actually I got a few emails about this today from friends.

I don't think it's quite as secret as the Wal-Mart marketing wants you to think it is. Totally artificial viral marketing, but pretty good job of doing it.

Also I do believe that model of the HD-DVD player is not capable of 1080p or some such gimpness.

It's either a sign that the HD-DVD camp is getting desperate or trying to get a jump on the Blu-Ray camp. Either way the consumer wins.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 2nd, 2007 at 1:02 am

The HD player does 1080i and only has passthrough on sound with 7.1 but for the price it's good.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:37 am

Sorry guys, there are gonna be 6 more of these sales before Christmas I will try and give you a heads up.

I have been so fucking busy in another store trying to get their Christmas section right,

The Toshiba HD-DVD player also comes with a coupon inside for 5 free HD-DVD's courtesy Toshiba and Microsoft (DOn't ask about MS, I don't know why).

The Plasma is an everyday item thats at a considerable loss to each store that sells it.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5652238
Was $1394.00 now $998.00 through Sunday night.
TV Technology: Plasma
TV Definition: HDTV
HDMI: Yes
Screen Size: 50"
Brightness: 1000 cdm/2
Contrast: 8000:1
Dimensions with Stand: 49.4"W x 33.3"H x 11.1"D, 102 lbs
HD-Ready: Yes
DVI: No
Widescreen: Yes
Model No.: DP50747

Also, the HD-DVD's are on sale from now til Sunday night for $14.96.

G$
Benefactor

Postby G$ » Nov 2nd, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Best Buy is matching - but get them quick as they are also discontinuing them

G$

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Nov 3rd, 2007 at 6:43 pm

JayPhat wrote:The Toshiba HD-DVD player also comes with a coupon inside for 5 free HD-DVD's courtesy Toshiba and Microsoft (DOn't ask about MS, I don't know why).

Microsoft has been in the middle of the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray battle from the beginning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

At the end of June 2005, Sun announced that the Blu-ray Association had chosen the Java-based BD-J interactivity layer instead of Microsoft's HDi. This was based on a BDA board vote favouring BD-J 10 to 4, despite a technical committee previously favouring HDi by a vote of 7 to 5[20]. At the same time, Microsoft and Toshiba jointly announced that they would cooperate in developing high-definition DVD players.[21] In a top-level meeting in July, Microsoft's Bill Gates argued that the Blu-ray standard had to change to "work more smoothly with personal computers". Sony's representatives defended the technology.[22]
I really need to change this sig

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 4th, 2007 at 6:43 pm

MORE INFO
Sorry guys, I was wrong, there are only gonna be 4 of these total. The next two are thanksgiving and the day after (Nov. 22 and 23). I won't know prices until the 21(thats when they DL to the store), HOWEVER, I will know items ahead of time. The third one is a Friday in December.

I'll get you info when I can.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 10th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

So late last night, Black Friday lists were downloaded to stores, however no pricing. I got to say, in terms of televisions, I am quite proud of what we are doing. No longer are we doing the whole "symphonic" or "general" brand televisions. This year, all Polaroid. I would rattle off a bunch of whats on there, however it is 35 pages long(mostly clothing takes up the space). When i get prices, I will let you know, should be somewhere around the Monday of.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 10th, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Somethin else to add to the greatness that is Walmart this season - my wife's old motorola phone crapped out (would no longer charge regardless of what battery was in it), so we went looking to get her a new phone. The new razr2 (2nd gen razr w/ 3G) is fuckin awesome. Retails at $500, at&t had it on sale for $319. Walmart? w/ existing account with intent to extend for 2 yrs - 50 bucks. Was gonna extend the service anyways, so win/win for her. It's a great phone, lot better than my 1st gen razr.

They also have the blackberry curve, same deal for 25 bucks. DAMN.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 10th, 2007 at 4:40 pm

K2 wrote:Somethin else to add to the greatness that is Walmart this season - my wife's old motorola phone crapped out (would no longer charge regardless of what battery was in it), so we went looking to get her a new phone. The new razr2 (2nd gen razr w/ 3G) is fuckin awesome. Retails at $500, at&t had it on sale for $319. Walmart? w/ existing account with intent to extend for 2 yrs - 50 bucks. Was gonna extend the service anyways, so win/win for her. It's a great phone, lot better than my 1st gen razr.

If you have one of the 3-5 major carriers, we can get you just about any phone in the current inventory of the carrier. Somehting they call expanded inventory. 2 to 3 days and the phone is in your hand, usually ALOT cheaper than from anyone else.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 10th, 2007 at 8:19 pm

K2 wrote:Somethin else to add to the greatness that is Walmart this season - my wife's old motorola phone crapped out (would no longer charge regardless of what battery was in it), so we went looking to get her a new phone. The new razr2 (2nd gen razr w/ 3G) is fuckin awesome. Retails at $500, at&t had it on sale for $319. Walmart? w/ existing account with intent to extend for 2 yrs - 50 bucks. Was gonna extend the service anyways, so win/win for her. It's a great phone, lot better than my 1st gen razr.

That's a good deal K2 and thanks for alerting us, but you did fail to mention that it's a mail-in rebate. The catch with At&t is they usually give you a gift card in the rebate amount and it usually takes a while to be processed.

But it's still great and I might do it myself since my contract has been over for a few months now so I have options. A 3G or even with Wi-Fi phone is right up my alley.
-Edmund Burke

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 10th, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Maverick wrote:

That's a good deal K2 and thanks for alerting us, but you did fail to mention that it's a mail-in rebate. The catch with At&t is they usually give you a gift card in the rebate amount and it usually takes a while to be processed.

But it's still great and I might do it myself since my contract has been over for a few months now so I have options. A 3G or even with Wi-Fi phone is right up my alley.

Not to stroke the Wal-Mart eog anymore but you don't have to fuck around with rebates with us. One price, all the time.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 10th, 2007 at 10:40 pm

According to the site the final $50 off that brings the price to $49.99, is a mail-in rebate.
-Edmund Burke

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 10th, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Interesting....We don't offer rebates in-store, must be an online thing.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:20 am

Mav, we didnt mail in shit. Plus, we didnt go to walmart for it :twisted: We went to the corporate at&t shop here in the area, took the printed-out list showing the razr2 sale price at walmart, and they matched it. 50 bucks, done deal.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Nov 11th, 2007 at 10:09 am

K2 wrote:Mav, we didnt mail in shit. Plus, we didnt go to walmart for it :twisted: We went to the corporate at&t shop here in the area, took the printed-out list showing the razr2 sale price at walmart, and they matched it. 50 bucks, done deal.

Way to point out more details afterward fgt. :lol:

You made it sound like you got it from Wal-Mart the first time.

But I'm relieved that you can do that at the store because I was trying to figure out how to keep our Family Plan because it has me, the wife, and both parents. I don't mind extending for 2 years but would like to keep family plan as it's only $9.99 for each additional member.
-Edmund Burke

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 13th, 2007 at 9:11 pm

OK, so I got a look at the listings(yes, plural) for Black Friday as well as the Friday/Saturday secret sale items today. I would tell you everything in it but each list is 32 pages long.

Some of the more hot items:
Polaroid :42" LCD 1080P - $798
32" LCD - $498
26" LCD/DVD - $448
8" Portable DVD Player - $49.88

and about 250 other items. I will bring the rest of the list home tommorrow night and try and get you some more info.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Nov 13th, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Oohh, might have to pick up that portable DVD player. Could use that next year for my daughter to watch Barnie while we are on the road. I don't know what it is about that fatass purple dinosaur, but she is mezmerized by him. :)

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Nov 14th, 2007 at 1:02 am

Jay, let me know if any nice laptops are going to be on sale. I really need to pickup a good laptop. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but would like it to be capable of running some semi-recent games like WoW, TF2, etc.

-Wid

-Game Designer

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:41 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Jay, let me know if any nice laptops are going to be on sale. I really need to pickup a good laptop. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but would like it to be capable of running some semi-recent games like WoW, TF2, etc.

-Wid

I am not going to promise anything here BUT
we did get the ads into the store today. I won't have another chance to be online until Saturday afternoon. Wid, I will hit you up with what you wanna know then cause I know there are at least 2 laptops in there.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 16th, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Wid, there are 2 Laptops in the day after AD
One is an HP, the other is a dell.($498 and $598)

Both have an AMD X2 processor, but the memory and storage capacites are different. Each has at least 1GB of RAM and 80GB of mem.
BTW, PS3 80GB version will come with 10 free Blu-Ray movies from 5-11 only.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Nov 16th, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Jay, does it say what kind of vifeo card?

-Game Designer

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 16th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Jay, does it say what kind of vifeo card?

No but I am sure its gonna be integrated.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Nov 17th, 2007 at 7:22 pm

HP Pavillion Laptop
AMD Turion 64 X2
1GB Mem
160 GB HDD
15.4" Widescreen
Vista Premium
Also includes 5.0MP HP Digital Camera
$798

Dell Laptop
AMD Turion 64 X2
2 GB RAM
80 GB HDD
15.4" Widescreen
DVD-/+RW
Vista Premium
$598

Relic

Postby Relic » Nov 19th, 2007 at 9:19 am

Good info...

In regards to cell phones, if you have been w/ your provider for 2+ years adn are currently month to month they will give you a free phone if you sign for two years. It's a free upgrade progrma and most carriers offer this.

If you have any difficulty just inform them that you are switching carriers to one who offers free phones for signing up.

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

Return to “General Discussion”