Finally got my new car....

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Finally got my new car....

Postby CyberPitz » Mar 26th, 2007 at 8:55 am

I can finally keep up with Keyser!! :p

Relic

Postby Relic » Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:16 am

Should be titled:

Finally got my "new to me" car.

Otherwise, grats.

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:17 am

Relic wrote:Should be titled:

Finally got my "new to me" car.

Otherwise, grats.

-Relic

Technicalities!

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Should be able to stomp my "New to me Car" at least.

btw, not a picture of my actual car, but right type and color.
I really need to change this sig

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Mar 27th, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Jeng wrote:Should be able to stomp my "New to me Car" at least.

btw, not a picture of my actual car, but right type and color.

My mom had a neon blue one just like that when I was in high school. Nothing better than borrowing it for a date.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 27th, 2007 at 11:06 pm

We're getting Jenn a new car this weekend. A 2007 Toyota RAV 4 (V6 package).

Grats on the new ride, Cyber ;)

Relic

Postby Relic » Mar 28th, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Grats on your brand new, shiny, overpriced, depreciation K2!

-Relic

YOU CLICK DRAGON

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 28th, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Are you kiddin? Pretty much any Toyota you buy nowadays will last a helluva long time, and they build 'em good. Cant really say that about a lot of American cars these days unfortunately :?

FYI - anything you drive off the lot starts to depreciate the second it leaves the lot. Only exception I know of is a brand new Harley Davidson.

So what piece of shit do you drive relic? ;)

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Mar 28th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

K2 wrote:Are you kiddin? Pretty much any Toyota you buy nowadays will last a helluva long time, and they build 'em good. Cant really say that about a lot of American cars these days unfortunately :?

FYI - anything you drive off the lot starts to depreciate the second it leaves the lot. Only exception I know of is a brand new Harley Davidson.

Got to agree with him. Furthurmore, the depreciation on most foreign cars is alot less than your domestic vehicles. Honday, Toyota, Hyundai, and Volkswagon tend to hold their value well into the five years afterwards. Can't say that about the domestics, since most tend to have to go back to the dealer for something within five years.

BTW, anyone notice GM pimping their warranty as "Best in America"? 100K is a great warranty, hence why hyundai and Toyota have been offering it for several years now. Theirs however, doesn't end after 5 years. I mean, what good is 100L if you are never gonna reach that? Like those damn AOL disks that offer 1000 hours of free online usage, but the time constraint equals out to 22.5 hrs per day on the internet.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Mar 29th, 2007 at 12:53 am

Sorry to hijack your thread CyberPitz, but it has to be done.

From consumerreports.org (I have a subscription) -

Notice that 1) what the top pick was for the small SUV class, and 2) there are zero American cars on that list. It pisses me off that that's the case, but sadly the Japanese have been making better cars than we have for the last several years. Or more correctly, the American workers that make the Honda's and Toyota's here in the states for the Japanese have been making better cars than GM/Chevy/Ford for the last several years.

We test drove both a 2006 and 2007 model RAV4 w/ V6, and both were a lot of fun to drive, and it's a nice lookin vehicle to boot. It's not something I'd personally get (too small for my tastes) but my wife loves it, and it's a safe vehicle, and that's all that matters.

Brian

Postby Brian » Mar 30th, 2007 at 11:33 am

A lot of my lady friends love the Rav4, I'm the same way though, too small and cutesy looking.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz » Mar 31st, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I can agree than the foreign cars hold their value well, especially the good ones. Look at the 1993 and up RX-7s. They are at teh rock bottom lowest *while running* going for 8 grand. The ones that are still in good working order, no aftermarket parts, 13ish grand. The ones that are supper fast, and in perfect condition? ~20 grand.

Say that about a car that's over 10 years old...*often*

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Apr 1st, 2007 at 2:58 am

It's because their engine design is pure brilliance and they will be collectibles at some point in the next 20 years.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Apr 1st, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Mouser wrote:It's because their engine design is pure brilliance and they will be collectibles at some point in the next 20 years.

God gave Wankel the idea of the rotary in a dream.
I really need to change this sig

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Apr 1st, 2007 at 5:48 pm

Jeng wrote:
Mouser wrote:It's because their engine design is pure brilliance and they will be collectibles at some point in the next 20 years.

God gave Wankel the idea of the rotary in a dream.

Much the same way God gave Joseph Smith the idea's of mormanism in a dream....

Nad

Postby Nad » Apr 2nd, 2007 at 9:24 am

K2 wrote:Are you kiddin? Pretty much any Toyota you buy nowadays will last a helluva long time, and they build 'em good. Cant really say that about a lot of American cars these days unfortunately :?

Completely agree with the first paragraph, i have a Tundra and my wife drives an Honda.

Second line is dead on.

Now, for your last sentence. You need to step up off the Econoline shaggin' waggon, else you get hurt :D
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Apr 2nd, 2007 at 11:26 am

The newest Tundras are off the chain, ideally best in their class.

Honda, Toyota, Nissan are pretty well made vehicles, as far as foreign cars. Chevrolet isn't that far down the list since they picked up the 10/100,000 warranty, and the 08 Camaro is fuckin' sick.

I'm really considering waiting for the 08's to start rolling in and maybe trying to get a 3.5 Altima, I'd love to go for a Maxima or Murano with CVT, but they are a bit on the pricey side to me. :P

Right now I drive a Nissan 240SX and it is way too much fun. I bought it off my best friend, who bought it off another friend of ours, the motor & trans were pulled from a 91 240SX that he wrecked/totaled, we found an 89 240SX body and put them in. Little car is surprisingly fast for what it is and even though the motor/trans are 91 they are still running extremely strong.

In the last week I have raced at least 5 people, 3 I remember readily, a late 90s/early 2000s Accord in which they had guages along the side of the windshield etc...I even heard him bark 2nd gear, which I don't do...though when I heard him bark it I turned around to try and see him, I thought he was at least close to me but I flat laid out that accord at 3 different lights lol. Another was a 2000 something Sunfire, though he really had no chance and once I left the light there wasn't much of a race heh. And yesterday I raced a Chevrolet Z71, that was probably the closest race I've been in with this 240SX so far, though I still outran him through about 70MPH, at which point I slowed down, yay 45MPH zones...
I would take a picture of my car but it's currently like 4 different colors, and the rear bumper is blackened on the tailpipe side, thanks to my timing being slightly off and my car running rich. :P I intend to buy an SR20 swap package and switch it out, I've found a few packages and the best deal I've seen so far is around $4.500'ish, not including labor ($6k'ish w/ labor), but that includes a slew of things.
S13 SR20DET Stage 1 swap ~230 RWHP, includes: S13 SR20DET, Greddy MSPL front mount intercooler, Greddy Profec B spec2 Boost Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, 3 inch downpipe, Walbro 255 Fuel pump, Greddy Blow Off Valve, Aluminum Hot Pipe, Custom 3" cat-back exhaust system, Flex- A-Lite twin electric fans, brand new clutch disc with resurfaced flywheel and pressure plate, new small battery to fit intercooler piping, all fluids, belts, air filter, NGK plugs, working and charged a/c, power steering, and installation of motor and all parts.
S13 REDTOP $5700 S13 BLACKTOP $5900

That is really my intent, but of course things may change as time passes, but I really love the 240SX overall so far, I just need like $15k to blow! :P
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Jennthrotull
K2's better half

Postby Jennthrotull » Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:17 am

Once again - street racing = not cool. Cutting people out of completely demoloshed cars = the beginning of a shitty weekend. It is only a matter of time before one of you guys causes an accident. Go find a hobby where you are only risking your own lives.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Jennthrotull wrote:Once again - street racing = not cool. Cutting people out of completely demoloshed cars = the beginning of a shitty weekend. It is only a matter of time before one of you guys causes an accident. Go find a hobby where you are only risking your own lives.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Street racing is by far the most irresponsible thing you can do ina car, period.

Relic

Postby Relic » Apr 5th, 2007 at 9:12 am

I drive a pos F150 with 310,000 miles on it for your info K2. It doesnt leak oil and the A/C blows cold. It's not like I'm trying to pick up chicks. I don''t wash it because someone will just try to steal it.

Candi drives a 2001 Nissan Quest with 120k. I just changed the distributor, spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors, fuel filter, runs like new.

YOU CLICK DRAGON

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Apr 6th, 2007 at 10:59 am

Jennthrotull wrote:Once again - street racing = not cool. Cutting people out of completely demoloshed cars = the beginning of a shitty weekend. It is only a matter of time before one of you guys causes an accident. Go find a hobby where you are only risking your own lives.

heh if you are not attentive enough to know what's going on around you, then no you shouldn't be racing in any form. Or if you have slow or incorrect reactions to sudden changes, then again, you shouldn't be racing in any form. I can't even break about 85 in my car since it cuts out as if it's governed, and most races I run are very short light-to-light type races.

I've been driving for over 12 years, without a single accident that was my fault, and only 2 accidents that weren't my fault, I've avoided an average of probably 20 wrecks per year (that wouldn't have been my fault but I still avoided them). Not saying I'm the 'greatest' driver out there, or that it 100% will not happen, or that it's like that for everyone else. But I'm a fairly rare breed of driver, especially around here. >.< I'm highly attentive to what's going on around me, and I know how to handle my car in sudden changes and I'm extremely avoidant of accident situations.

You can argue against that all you want, but I promise you will not change my point of view on (my own) driving. Now for 97% of the rest of the drivers, shit 15-20% should probably just turn their license back in regardless, cause at least that much flat out can not drive, and I'm fucking sick of avoiding wrecks.

Jay, personally I wouldn't go as far as say the most irresponsible, since (as stated above) more people are seriously dangerous JUST driving normally. Not to mention, getting behind the wheel while intoxicated (alcohol) is (in my opinion) much more irresponsible. Both cause accidents and deaths, but racing will not compete against drunk drivers.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Apr 6th, 2007 at 1:56 pm

KillerClown wrote:

heh if you are not attentive enough to know what's going on around you, then no you shouldn't be racing in any form. Or if you have slow or incorrect reactions to sudden changes, then again, you shouldn't be racing in any form. I can't even break about 85 in my car since it cuts out as if it's governed, and most races I run are very short light-to-light type races.

I've been driving for over 12 years, without a single accident that was my fault, and only 2 accidents that weren't my fault, I've avoided an average of probably 20 wrecks per year (that wouldn't have been my fault but I still avoided them). Not saying I'm the 'greatest' driver out there, or that it 100% will not happen, or that it's like that for everyone else. But I'm a fairly rare breed of driver, especially around here. >.< I'm highly attentive to what's going on around me, and I know how to handle my car in sudden changes and I'm extremely avoidant of accident situations.

You can argue against that all you want, but I promise you will not change my point of view on (my own) driving. Now for 97% of the rest of the drivers, shit 15-20% should probably just turn their license back in regardless, cause at least that much flat out can not drive, and I'm fucking sick of avoiding wrecks.

Jay, personally I wouldn't go as far as say the most irresponsible, since (as stated above) more people are seriously dangerous JUST driving normally. Not to mention, getting behind the wheel while intoxicated (alcohol) is (in my opinion) much more irresponsible. Both cause accidents and deaths, but racing will not compete against drunk drivers.

You're telling me you know every single bump and dip in the road? If so, please sign up to work for your local street repair agency. If not, don't fucking street race no matter what the speed. Ask the guy doing 65 down the road in front of my parents house. little over a quarter mile straight strip of land. Raced it dozens of times. Til one day he didn't see a small clump of dirt from where a farmer had come out of the field with his plow. Airborned the car into a house. He waws found half inside his seatbelt, and half inside his windshield.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:19 pm

I've worked some traumas like that. Senseless death
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Apr 8th, 2007 at 10:33 pm

hey, we bought my Jen a Rav4 4cyl 2 months ago, and this is a really great car. I went to darkside (non USA company) and will never go back. It is better designed than my Escape, and is not the "cute" little SUV of past RAV4's. It actually has more cargo room behind front seats than my Ford, gets better gas mileage and is safer. I almost got a Scion xB, but they are not as safe for driver as Rav4. Toyota rox.
EatMoreLead aka EML

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 8th, 2007 at 11:55 pm

We hit a roadblock getting the exact RAV4 we wanted. All of the Toyota dealerships in Hawaii fall under Servco, and the options packages they offer are few and extremely limited. The dealers arent even allowed to deviate from those packages (like adding a missing option). Totally gay. So we had to look to the mainland for the vehicle we wanted. We hit the jackpot this weekend - spoke to the sales manager at the main Toyota dealership in Portland, Oregon. They had exactly the vehicle we wanted (Sports version of the 2007 RAV4, 4WD, w/ 3.5L V6) with all of the options installed that we wanted as well. Just finalizing the paperwork... hopefully they'll ship before the end of the week.

Return to “General Discussion”