Do you remember where you were?

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

G$
Benefactor

Do you remember where you were?

Postby G$ » Sep 11th, 2006 at 2:14 pm

Where were you when you heard that a plane had hit the WTC? How about when you heard/saw the second plane? How has your life changed as a result of that day? -=discuss=-

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 11th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

I was skipping school, sitting on my bed reading the book I should have read the night before. My dad called me to tell me to go turn on the TV. I got it turned on about 2 min after the 2nd plane hit. I was the only person who went to school after that, just about everyone else was leaving.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 11th, 2006 at 2:33 pm

I was sitting in my dorm room at UW-Whitewater. I never turn the TV on in the morning. I never have, and i don't turn it on now. But for some reason that morning I turned CNN on while getting ready for the day. Why i turned it on... i have no idea. 5 minutes later it happened. I literally couldn't move for the next hour. "Holy shit." comes to mind as the only thing i could think of. If i didn't have a test that day i wouldn't have left. I got to my classroom and no-one knew what had happened, they were just going on with studying and talking. I walked in and without saying a word turned CNN on the TV. The professor asked what i was doing... i just pointed.

We ended up taking the class period and filling it with discussion on what had happened. The rest of the day was spent in my other 2 classes doing the exact same thing.

How has my life changed? I think i value life more. I no longer just brush past news of a catastrophe and think "glad it wasn't here." Now I think ... "Shit, i feel bad for those people." I imagine what it must be like to be in their shoes. I send up a prayer for them. I now cherish every day all the more. When i get a chance to spend time with friends/family/whoever i make the most of it. I value my friends in the military more. (k2... yea, you too) I respect our veterans all the more. I am definitly more patriotic. Someday I hope to make some kind of difference in this world so that my kids don't have to deal with this "terrorism" shit.

I give props to the firefighters, police, military who are out there every day making sure our lives are safe. Remember.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:04 pm

just got to my english class when my friend walked in and she told me about it...ridiculously enough our teacher still conducted class as usual.
ender will save us all

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:24 pm

I got to work early that morning. My boss came into my office after the first plane hit and told me what had happened. At first we thought it was a little 2-seater Cessna or something. We went into the conference room and turned on the TV and found out it was a jetliner. We were watching live as the 2nd plane hit. After that, we all just sat there in stunned silence. WE continued to watch as the towers fell. Again, stunned silence. Work was shut down and everyone sent home to be with their families.

I pretty much echo the sentiments of purox. Definitely more patriotic, although I always have been fairly patriotic. Definitely value every single day of life, family, and friends more now, even moreso after the birth of my daughter. Previously, horrific acts of evil were always somewhere far away, and never really hit home. Now everything hits home, even when it is in other countries.

I look forward to the day that we have UBL's head on a plate, although I know that won't stop the movement. It is going to take a united world effort to extinguish this threat. Unfortunately, most people/countries around the world either don't recognize the global nature of this threat, or don't care.... yet. Hitler and the Nazi regime grew powerful enough to almost take over the world as we knew it due to this very same type of apathy. Let's hope history does not repeat itself.

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:41 pm

I had been at work maybe 45 minutes. I got up to get something to drink and a coworker stopped me and asked if I had heard. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. She told me a plane had crashed into a building in New York. I thought it must have been a little single engine plane. I went back to my desk and short while later (15-20 minutes?) another plane crashed into a building. My boss came out and told me to get a TV setup in the breakroom. (I was still doing some helpdesk duties) I set it up and the rest of the day people were in and out of the breakroom watching. I stayed pretty much the whole time.

I remember see people jump out of the buildings. And I remember seeing the first tower go. I didn't actually believe it was falling even though everyone around said it was. I guess I thought it would have fallen to the side instead of straight down. Then I remembered seeing all the people that had just rushed into the building and realized they were all dead. Shortly after the second tower came down.

Through-out the day I remember hearing other rumours about the White House being hit and busses exploding in parking garages. For a while I thought the plane hitting the Pentagon was a hoax until they showed the footage on TV. I'll never forget. And everytime I think about it I remember why we went to war.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 4:46 pm

I was at work go figure. I was filing in for my deparment manager who was off to have wrist surgery(which almost got her killed BTW, damn anasthetics). I was rearranging merchandise in the main aisle in front of the Sporting Goods counter. I had just got done turning around a pallet of half clay targets and half 100 pack shotgun shells when I heard the managers talkinga bout it. I walked down to automotive where I knew I could get in Howard Stern that early in the morning. I remember thinking "Where are we gonna go from here?"

How has my life changed since then? I can see peoples paranoia alot easier.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Sep 11th, 2006 at 5:30 pm

I was getting ready to go to bed. I had worked all night and had watched TV up until I went to shower and such. My wife called about 2 minutes after I went to sleep and said something had hit the first tower. I turned on the TV and watched as the second plane hit. I can't remember what station it was but you could see the towers across the bay. You could see the reporter mouthing to the cameraman. He was saying "What happen". He didn't know the second plane had hit and his coworker was trying to tell him. You could just suddenlly see the fear in his eyes. I think I will always remember that. I watched the towers fall and remember thinking about all of the people who didn't make it out. I watched the TV all day. I slepp about 2 hours before going back to the hospital for that nights shift. No one really came in to be seen. Even in eastern OKlahoma people were scared to leave their houses.

I hope I take less for granted. I try to never leave things unsaid. I care for my family and never let my kids forget what men like my father, some of your father's and you have done by defending this country.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 5:54 pm

i was at a girls house, waking up and getting dressed i turned on the tv after the first plane hit. i thought it was some shitty TV show so i flipped the channel and it was on that station too .. i thought .. wtf, they're both playing the same movie?

Then i flipped it again and realized it wasn't a movie. called up my mom, went home, and was glued to the TV for the next 2 or 3 days.

For Burzum:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 478977.htm
The Senate intelligence committee Friday said it had found no evidence that Saddam Hussein had ties to Al-Qaida or provided safe harbor to one of its most notorious operatives, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- conclusions contradicting claims by the Bush administration before it invaded Iraq.

In a long-awaited report, the committee determined that the former Iraqi dictator was wary of Al-Qaida, repeatedly rebuffed requests from its leader, Osama bin Laden, for assistance and sought to capture Zarqawi when the deadly terrorist turned up in Baghdad.
In one of its main conclusions, the report said that ``postwar findings indicate that Saddam Hussein was distrustful of Al-Qaida and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from Al-Qaida to provide material or operational support.''

The report's disclosures include a classified assessment by the CIA last year that Saddam's government ``did not have a relationship, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi and his associates.''

But if you need to keep on telling yourselves that the War in Iraq is directly related to the terrorist attacks on 9/11, y'all just keep on doing that ...

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 6:16 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:But if you need to keep on telling yourselves that the War in Iraq is directly related to the terrorist attacks on 9/11, y'all just keep on doing that ...

Seriously, pick another day to bait that shit.

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:i was at a girls house, waking up and getting dressed i turned on the tv after the first plane hit. i thought it was some shitty TV show so i flipped the channel and it was on that station too .. i thought .. wtf, they're both playing the same movie?

Then i flipped it again and realized it wasn't a movie. called up my mom, went home, and was glued to the TV for the next 2 or 3 days.

For Burzum:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 478977.htm
The Senate intelligence committee Friday said it had found no evidence that Saddam Hussein had ties to Al-Qaida or provided safe harbor to one of its most notorious operatives, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- conclusions contradicting claims by the Bush administration before it invaded Iraq.

In a long-awaited report, the committee determined that the former Iraqi dictator was wary of Al-Qaida, repeatedly rebuffed requests from its leader, Osama bin Laden, for assistance and sought to capture Zarqawi when the deadly terrorist turned up in Baghdad.
In one of its main conclusions, the report said that ``postwar findings indicate that Saddam Hussein was distrustful of Al-Qaida and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from Al-Qaida to provide material or operational support.''

The report's disclosures include a classified assessment by the CIA last year that Saddam's government ``did not have a relationship, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi and his associates.''

But if you need to keep on telling yourselves that the War in Iraq is directly related to the terrorist attacks on 9/11, y'all just keep on doing that ...

For once i hafta agree with pup. He's just finishing a job daddy couldnt finish. Sorry but i dont give a fuck if saddam has WMD's...we have NUKES! Fucking mustard gas is nothing compared to the effect of nuclear bombs. We shouldnt have fucked with him. Just like we didnt fuck with Hitler even tho we knew he was killing innocent jews until Japan brought us into WWII. But good thing we did get in it or it wouldve been too late. Good thing about terrorists is we can treat them how we want to...Goneva (spelled right?) Convention rules do not apply to them. I was at school and watched 2nd tower get hit. I went to a private academy and didnt have tv's in any of the rooms so the principal went home and brought 4 tv's from his house. I hate to say it because of all the losses but the Al Queada failed. I read in an report somewhere they figured our losses would be over 5k but they did it too early. No1 from the 9-5 shift was there yet.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:23 pm

Go post this stuff in another topic, this one isn't about the war or any shit like that, it is about where we were when it happend and our initial reaction.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:41 pm

my bad, should have been posted in another thread ..

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:57 pm

I've been deleted!!

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:10 pm

Phoenix wrote:Go post this stuff in another topic, this one isn't about the war or any shit like that, it is about where we were when it happend and our initial reaction.

Well if u wanna be technical about it, the topic says Where were you...nothing about ur initial reaction. And ummm the initial reaction of mine was to nuke ALL of middle east but i guess ug uys would consider that racist and profiling.
Brings back memories so dont click here

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:44 pm

I was in english class, when teacher started talkin about it. I was in 9th grade and couldn't speak english very well and i was confused as fuck as to why everyone became so gloomy all of a sudden, i thought it was like a memorial or some shit. Came back home and they kept showin new footage. Honostly didn't change my life too much, didn't change me in any way other then remind me of the reality.

P.S US was involved in WW2 before pearl harbor. And US didn't have to send soldiers over to europe, it wouldve ended same way would just take longer.

P.P.S Is catalyst22 MIA or what, not that i miss him just realized i havent seen him post for a while.
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:07 pm

Best_predator wrote:P.S US was involved in WW2 before pearl harbor. And US didn't have to send soldiers over to europe, it wouldve ended same way would just take longer.

Are ya shittin' me?

Rethink that post JUUUUUUUUST a bit.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:10 pm

I know the subject in and out phat, not gona get suckered into a debate about it :).
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Best_predator wrote:I was in 9th grade and couldn't speak english very well and i was confused

nice to see not a lot has changed in 5 years :twisted:

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:29 pm

JayPhat wrote:
Best_predator wrote:P.S US was involved in WW2 before pearl harbor. And US didn't have to send soldiers over to europe, it wouldve ended same way would just take longer.

Are ya shittin' me?

Rethink that post JUUUUUUUUST a bit.

lol.....history channel and discovery was airing WWII specials all the time around D-Day. And im guessing when they said U.S was ranked 3rd in military they were wrong. With Germany with the number 1 military i guess we weren't gonna be ass kicked after UK got raped. Oh yeah dont forget Japan invading Atou island in alaska. Japan had the top Naval Force. More airforce carriers then us. UK had the top air force and 2nd best military. Japan was 4th. Im guessing they tought Pred different in school?

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:46 pm

More appropriate for the WWII discussion.
http://www.hardfought.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6327

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:17 am

I was working for a company that was recycling used computer parts, parts come in bins that are part of pallets, I was sorting though the mess with a couple other people with the radio going in the background. I heard they say something bout planes hitting a building and asked for it to be turned up, they thought i was kinda crazy, they hadn't been listenin. A couple minutes afterwards though we were all like WTF. When I got home just turned on CNN and watched that for most of the day.

A couple weeks later we got in some keyboards from the place in Florida that had the anthrax issue. Boss comes up to me asked me if I had ran across any keyboards in the pallet I was working on, pointed him to where we were putting the keyboards. He asked me if anyone else was working on the pallet I was working on, I was the only one. He grabbed a pallet jack and took off with the keyboards. Bout 15 minutes later there we saw out the window that we were getting taped off. No one told us what was going on for over half an hour. We were told that something came in with a biological contaminant. It wasn't till later (while we were still not allowed to leave or call out) that someone with a mini tv saw a news report saying that it was anthrax. That was a load off my mind. Would have been damn nice if they had just told us that in the first place.

Oh and the crew I was working with got cordined off in the breakroom. And the AC was turned off the entire time.
I really need to change this sig

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:46 am

I was at the vet taking care of Ed (the old-school regs will remember Ed) and at the receptionists desk, we all heard about it over the radio that was playing, but the details were sketchy. I got in my car to drop Ed off and go to work and got more details over the car radio. By the time I got to work and made it to a TV in the gym, the second plane was just seconds away from hitting the next tower (I saw that shit live, ugh).

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:53 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:
Best_predator wrote:I was in 9th grade and couldn't speak english very well and i was confused

nice to see not a lot has changed in 5 years :twisted:

meh screw u :p
Sneaky bastard...

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 12th, 2006 at 1:23 am

ed :(

Return to “General Discussion”