They're No. 1: Buckeyes whip Longhorns

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Look! In the sky. Its a Bird. Its a plane. Its a useless post.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 11th, 2006 at 8:47 pm

mack isn't a useless coach at all....best recruiter in recent memory. hired gene chizick, won a national championship.

there's really not many out there who can claim that
ender will save us all

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 8:55 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:mack isn't a useless coach at all....best recruiter in recent memory. hired gene chizick, won a national championship.

OSU. Fired John Cooper. Hired Jim Tressel. Won National Championship.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:39 pm

thanks mav

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:28 pm

So there was maybe 45, 60 seconds that he lost? Would he have scored two touchdowns, and a field goal in that timeframe? Yeah, thats what I thought.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:59 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:thanks mav

So, puppy what is your opinion of paydays? And how was the article?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:17 pm

informative. i always knew there was a problem with the way colleges were ranked. i think there should be a single-elimination type tournament at thend of the season to determine who the real national champs are ...

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:23 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:informative. i always knew there was a problem with the way colleges were ranked. i think there should be a single-elimination type tournament at thend of the season to determine who the real national champs are ...

Agreed. Never gonna happen though. Too many bowl games.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:50 pm

Yup bowl games are more lucrative for everyone involved. Which is the only reason why it will never change.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 12th, 2006 at 2:39 am

bowl games are way WAY more kickass than the playoffs

no, they wouldn't have just magically scored all that...but remember they did have the last posession of the first half, and who knows if they would have been able to drive or not for a field goal at least. you go into halftime tied or only 4 points down (pretty sure the score was like 14-7 at the half, not sure), that changes the game a ton. i personally don't like the new rules, part of what was sweet about the end of college football games was the full clock stop at the first down, it just made for so many more exciting endings.
ender will save us all

Kahuna Mas

Postby Kahuna Mas » Sep 12th, 2006 at 9:45 am

I call bullshit to complaining about the rules when you lose. I know it sounds absurd, but somehow OSU was able to score 24 points in that same screwed up time system that Texas played in.

Maybe if Mack's team hadn't of fumbled on the 2 yeard line Texas would have won. Wait I have an idea, let's complain to try and change the fumble rule...

Shifting gears, we should also widen the goal posts for the NFL because it gives an unfair advantage to teams who have accurate kickers (read: Dallas Cowboys).

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 11:30 am

You don't have to get rid of the Bowl games to have a playoff system. You simply incorporate the 2.

Keep all the current Bowl games, and make them the playoff games. You can still cycle the final game to a different Bowl each year the way it is now. The only think you would need to do is ADD a couple more Bowl games to the BCS.

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 12th, 2006 at 1:55 pm

the point is to make winning a BCS bowl a big deal...

hell for a lot of teams ANY bowl is a big deal. i would way rather have texas be elated beating michigan in the rose bowl the year before, than beating them and then having to go play ANOTHER game.

in this system the national champion has to be a damn near perfect team all season long, and i like that.
ender will save us all

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 12th, 2006 at 2:00 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:in this system the national champion has to be a damn near perfect team all season long, and i like that.

You do have to appreciate that. That the winning team really was a winning team. Aside from a few years ago when the near perfect team had to finish third while those playing in the national championship had more loses than they did.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, it's especially cool when a team like Boise St. goes undefeated in their shit conference and are claiming to deserve a shot at the Nat'l. Championship.

Without a playoff system there will continue to be disputed titles year after year. Remember undefeated Auburn a couple years back?

The playoff Bowl games would still make just as much money, if not more. The only difference would be all of the teams but the Nat'l Champions would end their season with a loss, so I guess they would miss out on that warm and fuzzy feeling.

-Wid

-Game Designer

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 12th, 2006 at 3:26 pm

if the title is disputed you got to strength of schedule...you schedule some puff teams, you run the risk of it, that's your decision
ender will save us all

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:31 pm

if the title is disputed you got to strength of schedule...you schedule some puff teams, you run the risk of it, that's your decision

Good thing strength of schedule didn't come into play for t.u. last year. They played 1 team all year that was any good, OSU. Same thing this year, except they lost to OSU this time. I realize this was largely due to the Big 12 sucking the last couple years.

Strength of schedule is such a nebulous quantity. How is the schedule strength rated? By rank of opponent when you played them? Final rank? Regardless,the "rankigs" aren't a perfect science obviously.

NCAA football is the only sport that has such a system, and all it causes are headaches. Let the top teams during the season go head to head to determine the true champion, just like in every other sport.

-Wid

-Game Designer

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:33 pm

in any other sport 1 game isn't incredibly detrimental or risky to your health. nfl players are complaining about how long the preseason is, so obviously too many football games is a problem.
ender will save us all

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:37 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:in any other sport 1 game isn't incredibly detrimental or risky to your health. nfl players are complaining about how long the preseason is, so obviously too many football games is a problem.

World Cup anyone?

-Wid

-Game Designer

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:38 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:nfl players are complaining about how long the preseason is, so obviously too many football games is a problem.

Too many football games is aproblem because they don't get paid anymore for playing more games in the preseason. its about $$$$$

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for abuncha athletes who get paid millions who have to play once a week for 16 whole weeks. Poor little babies. :roll:

If anyone in any sport should be bitching, it should be baseball players. 162 games played in 6 months. That shit is insane.

-Wid

-Game Designer

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 12th, 2006 at 5:05 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:mack isn't a useless coach at all....best recruiter in recent memory. hired gene chizick, won a national championship.

I agree Mack is a good recruiter, but it can't be *that* hard to recruit for t.u.

- Texas has the top high school football players in the nation, and I would wager the larger percentage of young kids would rather stay in-state (i.e. driving distance from home)
- Austin is the coolest place in Texas if you are young and single.
- t.u. has a storied football program with a shit-ton of money
- t.u. is a top academic university in many departments (for the parents who actually care)
- all the other schools in Texas cannot compete with the overall package t.u. has to offer; the closest would be A&M, but it is in College Station, and as much as I love College Station, it is no Austin.

-Wid

-Game Designer

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 12th, 2006 at 5:07 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for abuncha athletes who get paid millions who have to play once a week for 16 whole weeks.

-Wid

Sounds lime a catholic Priest, minus the millions. What other profession do you know where all you have to do is work one day a week and give a 45 min book report?

Return to “General Discussion”