They're No. 1: Buckeyes whip Longhorns

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

JayPhat
Elite Member

They're No. 1: Buckeyes whip Longhorns

Postby JayPhat » Sep 9th, 2006 at 11:29 pm

PAYBACK IS A BITCH!!!!!

BTW, that pentaly call for helmet to helmet in the first half was total bullshit.

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 10th, 2006 at 12:39 am

I think any Longhorn fan would direct you to the National Championship they won last year.

NCAA football blows anyway.

NFL tomorrow gg.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 10th, 2006 at 12:53 am

Maverick wrote:I think any Longhorn fan would direct you to the National Championship they won last year.

NFL football blows anyway.

I went ahead and fixed your quote. I believe we were in this exact same position last year. We were on path to a national championship and lost to Texas. This year we win.

NFL is the quite possibly one of the worst sporting events. Why? Because they have become to heavily overpaid, gloating buffons.

At least those playing in NCAA are playing for something, and have to maintain a life outside of the game in order to survive, even in the game.

I guess I believe NCAA is superior because there is more heart in the game.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Sep 10th, 2006 at 3:03 am

It's all good. No one cares about Ohio anyways.

Oh yeah... if you're unclear exactly what an 'Ohio' is, you can google it.

:D

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 10th, 2006 at 3:15 am

You are very very very naive if you think NCAA football is not a big business lol. Just as much as the NFL if not greater than. I vote for the latter, because NCAA has more sheer numbers than NFL.

Any top NCAA player is just waiting to become an NFL player. Most of these guys would skip college and go straight to the NFL draft if they could. See Maurice Clarett lol (*ahem* former Ohio State Buckeye). While they get auto passing grades in college for classes they probably don't even attend. In addition to being lavished with gifts and money and cars and houses and money. Did I mention money? While the colleges are lining their pockets from the labor of players who they don't "pay".

Lets start with Rhett Bomar...the list is endless.

I don't even have time to get into the subject of college recruitment. That's a whole topic unto itself.

Then lets see about those advertisers of the zillion bowls they have. I'm still anticipating the day they have the Toilet Paper Bowl sponsored by Charmin.

Then there is that great system of the BCS and the coaches poll. Which never makes any damn sense.

It's also great to watch an elite team like Ohio State (for example) when they play NorthWestEastSouthernBaptistTechnical University of Podunk. Who the big school pays a million dollars so they can pad their record with a 999-3 score, and get more BCS points.

But you go on believeing that the NCAA is really that much better than the NFL.

And about UT winning the national championship last year. UCLA thought they had it wrapped up too. Come back when Ohio is actually holding the trophy at the end of the year. NorthWestEastSouthernBaptistTech might actually upset them, and then your season will be ruined. That BCS is pure genius I tell ya.

Long live NC$$ football. Sorry mistyped. Long live NCAA football. :twisted:
-Edmund Burke

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 10th, 2006 at 5:33 am

you can't play a top 25 team every week.

that's like only letting the shitFL teams who made the playoffs last year play each other.

the BCS poll is the only way to even START to measure/rank a league with that many teams in it...when you have 25 or however many teams the nfl has in it, you can go purely on wins/losses...not so when you have god knows how many division I football teams, and all of them not playing each other.

if you argue that there's more heart in the nfl than the ncaa that's just goddamned naive...i can watch ncaa football between 2 schools i don't give a damn about and at least enjoy it.

i couldn't even sit through the superbowl last year.

the real point of this gamefor texas fans....colt mccoy played with poise, scrambled away from 2 sacks, and was only sacked once when it was unavoidable....1 interception, chalk that up as a rookie mistake...texas running backs looked great...defensive secondary was rather lacking, i wonder why...while loosing blows, i can't help but look at the potential that was on the field
ender will save us all

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 10th, 2006 at 11:57 am

I never said anything about heart.

If I wanted to watch players with heart, I'd watch a high-school or pee-wee game. Definately not an NCAA or NFL game though lol. For entertainment value we choose NCAA or NFL.

I am not too naive to know that both the NCAA and NFL are a big business and entertainment. I just prefer the NFL over the NCAA. They are both football.

I'm a fan of Florida State though, so keep on assuming that I totally dislike NCAA.

About the BCS lol. That is NOT the way to start determining a national champ. It's probably the worst way you want used.

About playing top 25 teams every week. I never said that either.

But lets not play the local community college if you are ranked #2 in the nation. It's not very difficult for every top 25 team to play a top 50 ranked team every week. They choose not to because they want to pad their record for the BCS ranking.

But I forgot you enjoy the heart and desire of a good team playing someone they are about to beat the snot out of with a score of 100-3.
-Edmund Burke

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 10th, 2006 at 12:17 pm

mav, do you have any links where i can read up on how college football games are scheduled? esp the paying ...

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Sep 10th, 2006 at 1:42 pm

Sports: If you don't play them, stfu.
I've been deleted!!

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 10th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

if you make your schedule ranked opponents every week, many things happen. 1, your kids who are probably not the most studious in the first place have to have hard and extra practices every single week, which simply leads to worse grades, which leads to MORE grade-padding for atheletes. 2, say a team like texas, plays top 25 teams every week, and they end w/ a 7-3 or 6-4 record...why should they get a shot at a title over a team like say...boise state, who ends w/ an 8-2 record but only played teams who were as good or only a little better than them? bcs takes into account strength of schedule, so teams like texas and ohio state sacked up and picked up a game against each other the second week for 2 seasons in a row, it takes some guts to do that in a system where 1 loss can mean your shot at a national title.
ender will save us all

Catharsys

Postby Catharsys » Sep 10th, 2006 at 4:17 pm

BCS is messed up also that if you lose early in the season you can recover from it and still be a challenger.

OSU played a good game, UT's 2ndary got worked. Our corners couldn't zone and couldn't man. I knew that was going to happen. The offensive play calling was stupid. No new plays, same formation, stupid coordinator.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 10th, 2006 at 4:20 pm

Ohio St. 24, Refs 4, Texas 3
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 10th, 2006 at 6:41 pm

Phoenix wrote:Ohio St. 24, Refs 4, Texas 3

+1. I will say it til the end of the season. Those 7 points came off a bullshit call. He wasn't leading with his helmet, he was jumping into the air to get TO THE FUCKING FOOTBALL.

BTW, the schedule that you say is so "weak"

Northern Illinois
Texas
Cincinnati
Penn State
Iowa
Bowling Green
Michigan State
Indiana
Minnesota
Illinoes
Northwestern
Michigan

Now, I see maybe 2 bullshit schools in there. WHy Northern Illinois I ahve no clue. Bowling Green is what they do every year by scheduling a school in Ohio, such as Akron, Ohio U., and Toldeo. Doesn't really look like bullshit scheduling to me but then again, what do i know. They like to mix it up every once in a while instead of playing 1 of the same 27 teams over and over.

And do you know the rules and regulations concerning money, gifts, and gratuities in NCAA sports? You get caught taking 20 bucks from someone wrong and you're in deep shit.

Bullshit classes? Yes, some of them get bullshit classes. More than not don't.(See Craig Krenzel - Major - MOLECULAR GENETICS) Moreover, at least I can say that these people put more into it because they have to balance being a reasponsible adult(attending class, studying, passing) with playing sports. How many NFL athletes can do that? How many times in a week do we hear about an NFL player involved in some brawl or caught doing drugs or domestic assault or bla bla bla? NFL players get some $$$, and become as bad as rappers at some point.

I can't stand the commercialization of NCAA games. I can't stand the commercialization of NFL players. Every time I turn on the TV to see and NFL game(and some NBA), theres some hyped up commercial where the players are talking trash. I don't give a shit about how bad they think they are. They get and ego and then forget to play the FUCKING GAME.

IMHO, NCAA > Pro sports until pro sports start paying players only when they win the game.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 10th, 2006 at 7:35 pm

it's not like schools have THAT much discretion over their schedules...yeah, you can schedule some hard schools, but you still have to play the majority of your games in your conference.

everyone has a weak schedule compared to notre dame....tv schedule ftw
ender will save us all

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 10th, 2006 at 9:17 pm

t.u. got spanked, and I loved every minute of it. THey rode Vince Young's coattails to the championship last year, and they were(are) hella overrated this year. Smith made their secondary look like high schoolers. They had a decent running game, but the QB looked like the freshman that he is.

And you wanna compare schedules... OSU was the ONLY big game t.u. has all year. The only other 2 teams that are even half decent are OU (who still suck), and Nebraska, who might actually be decent this year.

BCS is stupid. They need to add 2 weeks to the season and have the top 8 BCS teams play in a single elimination playoff tournament, like the SuperBowl. Yeah the 9th ranked team might still feel like they are screwed, but atleast with the top 8 teams fighting it out, there can be no real bullshit whining about who should be #1.

On a side note, how about them Aggies! 51-7 over powerhouse Univ. of Louisiana-Lafayette. What a win! LOL! :)

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 10th, 2006 at 9:25 pm

mccoy did NOT play like a freshman...he avoided 2 sacks, scrambled and made a dump pass for a huge gain that got called back near the end of the game.

tarrell brown will help in the secondary if he can figure out how to not carry guns and smoke pot.

it'll all get sorted out and texas will be in a bcs bowl.
ender will save us all

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Sep 10th, 2006 at 9:42 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:mccoy did NOT play like a freshman...he avoided 2 sacks, scrambled and made a dump pass for a huge gain that got called back near the end of the game.

tarrell brown will help in the secondary if he can figure out how to not carry guns and smoke pot.

Texas needs to improve their running game big time. They would have had serious yardage had they gone vertically down the field instead of running for the corners behind their entire line.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 10th, 2006 at 11:37 pm

ender*(gayless) wrote:mccoy did NOT play like a freshman...he avoided 2 sacks, scrambled and made a dump pass for a huge gain that got called back near the end of the game.

He passed for 154 yards, with a 4.8 yd avg., because the majority of his completions were little dump passes to his running backs. He was unable to lead his team when they needed it. Face it, he is young and it showed. He didn't have a TERRIBLE game, but it certainly wasn't a good one. He may turn out being a good QB in the coming years, but as of now, he is average at best.

-Wid

-Game Designer

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:43 am

i'll take an average performance from a kid in his 2nd game versus the best team in the nation.
ender will save us all

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:07 am

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:mav, do you have any links where i can read up on how college football games are scheduled? esp the paying ...

:?:

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:48 am

To my knowledge, the conference schedules are determined by the conference itself.

Non-conference games, of which there are usually 3-5 per year depending on what conf. you are in, are scheduled between the school themselves, usually a few years in advance. Obviously there are a myriad of considerations in scheduling non-conf. games such as TV options, market draw, etc. Big games like UT/OSU are obviously going to bring in lots of cash for both schools, but at the risk of losing that game and dashing any Nat'l. Champ. hopes.

Typically, most schools that are in competitive conferences tend to schedule weak non-conf. opponents to build up some easy wins, and avoid the risk of being knocked out of the Nat'l. Champ. hunt early on.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 11th, 2006 at 6:05 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:
rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:mav, do you have any links where i can read up on how college football games are scheduled? esp the paying ...

:?:

Sorry puppy I was out of town.

Here's a good article about paydays and padding the schedule.

It's pretty much the same concept used in pro boxing. Schedule Mike Tyson to fight Joe Blow. Pay Joe Blow $500,000. Collect millions from advertisers, pay-per-view, and the rebroadcast rights with cable/network tv contracts etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03075.html
-Edmund Burke

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Sep 11th, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Funny, now Texas is saying that new rules about the game clock could have cost them the game. Come on now guys, suck it up and take the loss like a man. Texas is the middle school bully who beats up on all the little kids (putting a 70 spot on some I-AA team) till someone as big as they are comes along (OU, OSU), then they run and hide. Only time this has not happened is when they had Vince with them. Overall Brown is vastly overated as a coach.

That said, the new rules suck ass, but they sure as hell didn't cost tu the game.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 11th, 2006 at 7:11 pm

I missed this. Where did you find them blaming the new clock rule? Not that I doubt it...

-Wid

-Game Designer

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Sep 11th, 2006 at 8:28 pm

FUCK YOU ALL. Ga Bulldogs defense pwnz all NCAA offenses...or as of last season when their d basically won the sec championship

Return to “General Discussion”