Struck Oil?!!?

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Keyser Soze
The Devil

Struck Oil?!!?

Postby Keyser Soze » Sep 5th, 2006 at 5:49 pm

I heard about... damn it, forgot the company too, but I flipped to CNN for a second and saw that (I think it was Mobil) found some oil in the Gulf Of Mexico and it could be as big as, or ever bigger then the oil they stuck in Alaska. Damn it, I can't find an article on it right now so the info I'm giving is very blurry, sorry about that. But yeah, this sounds like REALLY good news.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Keyser Soze
The Devil

Postby Keyser Soze » Sep 5th, 2006 at 5:52 pm

Okay, screw my first post, here's the info:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/05/news/co ... tm?cnn=yes

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Sep 5th, 2006 at 6:31 pm

isn't that what someone said in the other thread?
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 5th, 2006 at 6:49 pm

I don't think it will change the status quo very much.

Breaking News: Oil companies use the money we spend to find more stuff to sell us. Yay?

And yes this was already mentioned in another thread.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 5th, 2006 at 6:53 pm

how is this going to greatly impact oil prices? probably not much in the long term. Does the US have the refining capabilities to handle increasing demand?

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 5th, 2006 at 9:34 pm

[quote="rekloose-[PUPPY]"]how is this going to greatly impact oil prices? probably not much in the long term. Does the US have the refining capabilities to handle increasing demand?[/quote

No.

Why?

Because environmentalist groups lobbying to stop Oil companies from building any new refineries.

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:17 pm

we havn't built any new refineries in like 20 years or some such nonsense because of the damn evironmentalists
ender will save us all

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:50 pm

WidowMaker wrote:
No.

Why?

Because environmentalist groups lobbying to stop Oil companies from building any new refineries.

-Wid

I find that hard to believe that environmental lobbyists have more clout than lobbyists for big oil.

Face it, oil companies don't wanna spend money that they don't have to. They are already profitable as is. They don't wanna build more refineries because they don't need them. It's cheaper to expand current facilities than to build a brand new one. And the big boys of oil don't want any new smaller operations taking a piece of the pie. It's always about the money.
-Edmund Burke

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 5th, 2006 at 11:31 pm

Maverick wrote:
WidowMaker wrote:
No.

Why?

-Wid

I find that hard to believe that environmental lobbyists have more clout than lobbyists for big oil.

Face it, oil companies don't wanna spend money that they don't have to. They are already profitable as is. They don't wanna build more refineries because they don't need them. It's cheaper to expand current facilities than to build a brand new one. And the big boys of oil don't want any small operations taking a piece of the pie. It's always about the money.

Also add on to that where the oil companies want to build refineries, usually along the coast with in cities.

Posted this satelite photo in a different thread, but hell there would be very very little enviromental out cry if a company wanted to build a refinery in wyoming.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... 7&t=h&om=1

Cause hell, it was fucked before man ever messed with that land.
Lived in a town near there as a kid.
I really need to change this sig

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Sep 6th, 2006 at 7:54 am

What are those Jeng? Trailers?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 6th, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Burzum wrote:What are those Jeng? Trailers?

Abit big for trailers. Those are old oil wells. If you look in close you can spot some earth moving equipment, along with old storage tanks.

btw, hearing some of the forrests near there, believe to the west of big piney, have been opened up for drilling now. The forrests on the other hand is some beautiful country, there has been some enviromentalists complaining about that area being opened up. The scrub plains though can go to shit for anyone cares.

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Sep 6th, 2006 at 2:34 pm

My buddy works for a survey company who just razed a wetland near houston not all that long ago. The conservationists went to court to file the land as a "wetland" and by the time they got through the red tape the company had destroyed it all. Of course, now that the conservationists have the paper to prove it's a wetland the oil company can say "it wasn't wetlands at the time"... even though everyone knows damn well it was. It's funny how to save a wetland you have to prove it's a wetland but to destroy it you don't have to wait for confirmation.

Plus oil production back in the 90's was really as good as it ever got, to my understanding. People will steadily complain about the oil and gas prices till they finally figure out it's normal, and the lower prices we've always had are too good to last.

This period in history will be the greatest waste of resource man has ever known. By the time we figure out how to travel to mars off a drop of gasoline, we'll have burnt it all in a winnebago.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 6th, 2006 at 3:56 pm

And it will all be Bush's fault. :roll:

-Wid

-Game Designer

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Sep 6th, 2006 at 4:00 pm

WidowMaker wrote:And it will all be Bush's fault. :roll:

-Wid

Can you post in any thread without throwing this useless comment around? We got it, you like Bush more than the alternatives. But to come into any even slightly political thread, and throw this comment around is getting old.

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 6th, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Almost as old as the Bush-haters blaming him for everything under the sun?

-Wid

-Game Designer

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 6th, 2006 at 5:56 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Almost as old as the Bush-haters blaming him for everything under the sun?

-Wid

Bout the closest bush came to this conversation was me mentioning that some forrest were opened BACK up for drilling. They were closed off by Clinton, so whoopidity do they were closed off for 7 years or so. Are we suppose to hate and bash all the presidents before Clinton also then? Believe it or not, we're not that stupid. We, or at least I am able to veiw things fairly objectivly, I believe most others here are able to also, including yourself.

Hell there hasn't been an ounce of bush bashing in this thread till you stepped in, we just talkin bout how things are.

Have anything to add to the thread sides pre-emptive anti-bush bashing? Perhaps give Keyser a good jab or something?

sgarissta

Postby sgarissta » Sep 6th, 2006 at 6:01 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Almost as old as the Bush-haters blaming him for everything under the sun?

-Wid

Please point out where the "Bush-haters" were blaming him for everything in this thread?

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 6th, 2006 at 6:20 pm

Didn't say in this thread specifically... I was replying mostly to Sandbox, whose post history tends to be very anti-Bush, even on topics that aren't Bush's fault or responsibility.

It is kinda funny though... there are plenty of threads where without any mention of Bush, someone comes along and throws in some Bush-bashing for good measure. Interestingly, none of you complain about it in those threads.

-Wid

-Game Designer

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 6th, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Wid +1 to filibuster skill.
-Edmund Burke

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 6th, 2006 at 7:33 pm

WidowMaker wrote:Didn't say in this thread specifically... I was replying mostly to Sandbox, whose post history tends to be very anti-Bush, even on topics that aren't Bush's fault or responsibility.

It is kinda funny though... there are plenty of threads where without any mention of Bush, someone comes along and throws in some Bush-bashing for good measure. Interestingly, none of you complain about it in those threads.

-Wid

True, its even often defended, but why this? It doesn't quite work logically, your sick of bush bashing, so you bring it into a thread where there is no bush bashing? Why not bring it to the "Bush wants US to break dependence on foreign oil thread" where Sandbox did lay a nice little turd?

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 6th, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Auto defense mechanism developed over the last 5 years. :P
-Edmund Burke

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 6th, 2006 at 7:48 pm

Pre-emptive strike.

Hey, it worked in Iraq, right? Right?!!?

*crickets*

:)

-Wid

-Game Designer

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Sep 7th, 2006 at 3:18 am

lol. i think it's cause you felt it was all bushes fault and you were ready to come to his aid. i've seen you two holding hands :lol:

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Sep 8th, 2006 at 7:28 pm

The reason oil companies don't build more refineries is purely economical.
Given the extreme cost of building a refinery, and the fact that it will be utterly useless in roughly 50 years(or less), it makes sense that they wouldn't want to take a business risk like that. Especially considering the amounts of money they are raking in right now.
I've been deleted!!

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 9th, 2006 at 2:47 am

Benedict wrote:The reason oil companies don't build more refineries is purely economical.
Given the extreme cost of building a refinery, and the fact that it will be utterly useless in roughly 50 years(or less), it makes sense that they wouldn't want to take a business risk like that. Especially considering the amounts of money they are raking in right now.

True Benedict.

Yeah .. BP cares so much about wasting money on repairing pipelines, you know they're just itching to build more refineries :roll: please. as long as there are fewer refineries the price of gas at the pump will remain high (increasing their P/L). The oil companies know this and have no incentive to build more. It takes a real genius to figure that out ...

Not only that, but they have an easy execuse blaming it on environmentalists. Unfortunately if they really wanted to build new refineries it wouldn't be that hard - especially now with the price of oil what it is. Just find a tract of land (ND badlands or something like where Jeng posted) that the environmental impact would be minimal and build (thye may have to pay put in new pipelines, bu the oil companies are gushing money right not so i doubt it would be a huge deal.

Don't worry though .. I'm, sure the geniuses here have no trouble blaming this on those america-hating liberals/democrats/environmentalists ... :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”