Bush wants US to break dependence on foreign oil

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

K2
Administrator

Bush wants US to break dependence on foreign oil

Postby K2 » Sep 4th, 2006 at 2:23 pm

I saw this on cnn.com - http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/04/ ... index.html

Uh-huh :roll: I'll believe that shit when Haliburton breaks camp and flies home from Iraq.

And for further reading about Haliburton's role post-occupation (overview) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburto ... ontroversy

Of course ya cant believe everything ya read on the web, and I've stated that plenty of times... but I cant count how many patrols my platoon had to do just to provide security for Haliburton oil movements or for their employees. Shit, I got friends in 2-27 that are there right now doin the same thing.

I'll make a lil wager - I'm betting that imported oil from places like Iraq and Saudi Arabia actually climbs before Bush leaves office. So, who wants to lose 10 bucks? ;)

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 4th, 2006 at 2:42 pm

I could be reading that wrong, but I didn't see where he said for people to actually use less oil.

I wonder what would happen if the administration would put out the message that not concerving is unpatriotic. After all we only get 11% to 20% of our oil from the middle east, if everyone worked on reducing the amount of oil they used by 11% to 20% we could cut out the middle east as suppliers.
I really need to change this sig

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 4th, 2006 at 2:52 pm

The only time we will ever not be dependant on foreign oil, is when it runs out. And it will one day. But not in any of our lifetimes.

I just watched the movie Syriana last week. It really makes you think about Mid-East foreign policy and about the oil industry. It's also an entertaining film with a great cast. The story won't make complete sense and I think that is intentional. Because it makes you think about what you are seeing and come to your own conclusion. The characters don't even fully understand everything going on.

A movie I highly recommend if you haven't seen it before.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 4th, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Jeng wrote:I wonder what would happen if the administration would put out the message that not concerving is unpatriotic. After all we only get 11% to 20% of our oil from the middle east, if everyone worked on reducing the amount of oil they used by 11% to 20% we could cut out the middle east as suppliers.

uhhh .. no we wouldn't .. the oil companies decide where the oil comes from on the open market. not the government, and definitely not the consumer. if saudi oil is cheaper than russian oil, guess who gets cut when demand drops 20%?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

its in my netflix queue Mav
EatMoreLead aka EML

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:28 pm

And 1, EML.
-Edmund Burke

Campsalot

Postby Campsalot » Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:37 pm

If we would have been allowed to drill in ANWR back when it was first proposed, we would be close to cutting quite a bit of our foreign dependence on oil off right now. GG Dems and wacko-environmental extremists!

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:39 pm

Why use up our store of a limited resource now. We will pay for it in the long run when it runs out. I'd rather use up "their" oil then we can always fall back to ours in a pinch. Or just start phasing in more alternative fuels as much as we can.
-Edmund Burke

Miracl3

Postby Miracl3 » Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Campsalot wrote:If we would have been allowed to drill in ANWR back when it was first proposed, we would be close to cutting quite a bit of our foreign dependence on oil off right now. GG Dems and wacko-environmental extremists!

ya i know we have places where oil is abundant but the tree hugging hippies wont get outta the trees. LoL Anyone seen that episode of The Ali G show?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Sep 4th, 2006 at 11:17 pm

Satellite view of some oil wells

if everyone worked on reducing the amount of oil they used by 11% to 20% we could cut out the middle east as suppliers.

I knew when I typed that that it was flat out wrong, but its an interesting thought. As ya'll say though, all it would do is cut out the most expensive suppliers. Which also means that the price of gas would drop back down to normal, correct?

Btw, anyone think its odd that gas is cheaper in Mo than in Tx?

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
I really need to change this sig

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 5th, 2006 at 3:06 am

Jeng wrote:I knew when I typed that that it was flat out wrong, but its an interesting thought. As ya'll say though, all it would do is cut out the most expensive suppliers. Which also means that the price of gas would drop back down to normal, correct?

what's normal?

also, it depends on the amount of collusion in the oil market, as well as increased demand from china and india. in a perfect world the price is set where the supply curve meets the demand curve (as this is a market economy) but this is less than perfect, i doubt you'd see much of a price drop.

keep in mind that if demand dropped by 20% it may actually increase our dependence on middle east oil. if the price gets too low then perhaps its places like the canadian tar flats and russia that get cut out (perhaps higher cost of production) which would give the middle east a tighter grip on the oil market.

there are way too many variables in play to simplify it to just: "decrease demand" or "drill ANWR". The only *real* solution is an alternative fuel and to cut off our DEPENDENCY on oil.

or you can just continue to blame everything on the democrats :roll:

ender*(gayless)

Postby ender*(gayless) » Sep 5th, 2006 at 3:40 am

we develop an "alternative fuel"...what's to say it doesn't simply take the place of oil as far as a few companies/sources and worldwide demand?
ender will save us all

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:23 am

Alternative fuel will not mean cheaper at first. Once the tech to use algae and other things to produce the ethinol fuel become wide spread it will lower some though. Face it guys we are never going to see $1.25 gas ever again. That doesn't mean we should not break the foreign depenancy though. I'd rather pay $2.00 a gallon for something produced here and have that money all go back into the economy
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Sep 5th, 2006 at 10:35 am

A good chunk of the initial price of an alt fuel will go towards offsetting the (monumental) cost of establishing a distribution network.

Ender, which alt fuel currently being developed fits that bill? Ethanol? Hydrogen? Solar? Wind? Geothermal?

pyrox420
Elite Member

Postby pyrox420 » Sep 5th, 2006 at 11:00 am

Something that might slow the process of moving to non-renewable resources...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/05/news/co ... tm?cnn=yes

Chevron apparently found a very big oil field in the gulf of mexico.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here". - Jayne

WidowMaker
Benefactor

Postby WidowMaker » Sep 5th, 2006 at 11:42 am

or you can just continue to blame everything on Bush

Fixed.

-Wid
- The AWP god formerly known as 'WidowMaker' [Retired]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-Game Designer
-Retro Studios - www.retrostudios.com
-If the next Metroid sucks, you will know who to blame.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Sep 5th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

WidowMaker wrote:
or you can just continue to blame everything on Bush

Fixed.

-Wid

i'm game if you say so :P
Servers gone and all of a sudden people have opinions of K2, weird

Sandbox

Postby Sandbox » Sep 6th, 2006 at 2:47 pm

If we had spent half the money finding a viable renewable energy instead of sending poor k2 and his buddies over to iraq i bet 10 more bucks we'd be fucking done with this thread by now.

And steve erwin makes the next week of headlines but the US soldiers death toll over 9/11's death toll will get moved to page 2 and 3... not like iraq had anything to do with that. EH? EH? Economy over morality.

Return to “General Discussion”