Canadian Military

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Jeng
Elite Member

Canadian Military

Postby Jeng » Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:08 pm

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/conten ... _edit.html

Read this in the local paper, thought I'd share it.
I really need to change this sig

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jan 29th, 2006 at 6:38 pm

excellent article. I had assumed that the often heard statement about Canada expecting the US to protect them was false. I assumed that it was just some anti-Canadian bashing. If the article is entirely true then I am disapointed in Canada and especially Derfel ;P
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Servo

Postby Servo » Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:04 pm

On a side note, how come we haven't heard anything about Canada's recent elections? Is even Def bored by canadian politics?
"I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider, and I decide what is best."

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:41 pm

Servo wrote:On a side note, how come we haven't heard anything about Canada's recent elections? Is even Def bored by canadian politics?

i think it's because we just don't really give a shit ...

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:57 pm

Servo wrote:On a side note, how come we haven't heard anything about Canada's recent elections? Is even Def bored by canadian politics?

American politics are a soap opera, lots of emotion, no substance. A whole lot of fun to watch and debate and just be real stupid about.

Canadian politics are like watching a documentary on paint drying.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:03 pm

-G.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Jan 29th, 2006 at 11:09 pm

canada is like that little bitch that talks shit on the playground and then hides behind his friend the bully (u.s.)

i'm sick of protecting your ass derfel go do somthing

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:00 am

Russia FTW!!
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:08 am

Best_predator wrote:Russia FTW!!

I thought Russia lost? Its about time my fellow comrades showed those capitalist pigs who was boss! (Russia did win right?)
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:16 am

Suck. wrote:Image

-G.

That for the article, the comments, or just really really wanted to use that in a post rather than add anything to a discussion?

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:39 am

he's been hording that graphic for weeks, patiently biding his time for the perfect opportunity to use it.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Jan 30th, 2006 at 10:34 am

Derfel wrote:
b0ba wrote:i'm sick of protecting your ass derfel go do somthing

Other than Russia, what have you folk been protecting us from lately?

Haitians, Cubans, and Mexicans. We also protect you from yourselves by limiting the deportation of soft woods to the US thus keeping your ecosystem in balance.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:27 pm

Jeng wrote:That for the article, the comments, or just really really wanted to use that in a post rather than add anything to a discussion?

The comment.

-G.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:11 pm

Catalyst22 wrote:
Best_predator wrote:Russia FTW!!

I thought Russia lost? Its about time my fellow comrades showed those capitalist pigs who was boss! (Russia did win right?)

wtf are you talking about? Russia always wins WOOT!
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Derfel wrote:We don't need an offensive force whatsoever. Part of that comes from our diplomacy (and said "peacekeeping"), and part of that does come from the fact that we have some pretty powerful allies

I'm glad to see you acknowledge that. I was thinking "muahahah I'll rip him appart with this one". Kudos for recognizing that the U.S. is actively keeping the world a safe place for us and ours.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Okay and that gets me thinking. Iran wants nukes. Palestine want's to destroy Israel. The arab nations are being a big PITA. And for some reason America is the one tasked with neutralizing them while the rest of the world sits back in their comfy arm chairs and critiques our actions saying how they could have done it better.

Well what if the U.S. said screw you world. We're pulling all of our forces out of all of your countries and removing all of our aid and we're going to become another China. If you get in our way we'll run you over but as long as you don't bother us then you can do whatever you want to your neighbors. The world and a lot of nations would be in a tough spot. Including the EU. Then when you decide to make some strikes on Iran we can sit back and tell you why we think you suck. And if you continue you're actions we might decide to tear into you.

If it wasn't for the compassion that the Americans have for those that are not equipped to defend themselves the world would be going to hell in a hand basket. We put underwear on the heads of murders and you accuse us of torture. We overthrow tyrants that base their rule on rape and murder and you call us war mongering. We answer the threat of genocide with the threat of justice and you call us bullies. Well world, I spit in your face; defecate on your beard and moon you with my big hairy ass. We will continue to save you from yourselves and if you don't like the way we're doing things maybe you should step up and give it a try.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:37 pm

Burz, why exactly should we save anyone from themselves?

Not everyone wants to be saved.
I've been deleted!!

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:45 pm

I agree Burz, Screw them all. Lets pull eveything back and let the rest of the world sort it out. Let it all go to pot. We should worry about our own and let France be the world police for a while. Then maye they people would see evreything we have done isn't bad. Then everyone would say where is America. Why are they letting this happen? Why don't they step in. I mean crap there wouldn't be and Eu if we hadn't stepped up in WW2. Just one big Germany. Sorry of topic. I am glad to see Derfel say they need us.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Burzum wrote:We overthrow tyrants that base their rule on rape and murder and you call us war mongering. We answer the threat of genocide with the threat of justice and you call us bullies. Well world, I spit in your face; defecate on your beard and moon you with my big hairy ass.

You're such a tough guy.

We only do things when it suits our interests.

Did we step in during the Rwandan genocide? Have we taken care of N. Korea, Somalia, Iran, Saudi Arabia (yeah, they have multiple human rights violations), Haiti, the Congo, etc?

You don't think the rest of the world helps out as well? Do you know anything about UN actions?

Here you go: http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/index.asp look at current and past deployments. Most fo the troops currently deployed are from different countries (two belgian soldiers were just killed in Haiti).

here's an example of one deployment (in Burundi) http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/onub/facts.html

do you see the US as contributing troops?

I'm not saying that the US isn't the global policeman (we pretty much are), but you seem to have the misconception that we do everything around the world - which we don't. Also, keep in mind that Iraq was pretty much a unilateral operation, which is why we've receieved so much flack for it.

Jigga please. Save your self-righteousness (and spittle) for Sunday Mass.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

sohpriest wrote:I agree Burz, Screw them all. Lets pull eveything back and let the rest of the world sort it out. Let it all go to pot. We should worry about our own and let France be the world police for a while. Then maye they people would see evreything we have done isn't bad. Then everyone would say where is America. Why are they letting this happen? Why don't they step in. I mean crap there wouldn't be and Eu if we hadn't stepped up in WW2. Just one big Germany. Sorry of topic. I am glad to see Derfel say they need us.

I doubt Germany could have held on. The lines would definatly be different, but Europe would not be one big Germany if they won WW2.

rekloose-[PUPPY]
Elite Member

Postby rekloose-[PUPPY] » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:50 pm

sohpriest wrote: I mean crap there wouldn't be and Eu if we hadn't stepped up in WW2. Just one big Germany.

Haha. do you really think the Nazi's would have stopped at europe?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:53 pm

rekloose-[PUPPY] wrote:
sohpriest wrote: I mean crap there wouldn't be and Eu if we hadn't stepped up in WW2. Just one big Germany.

Haha. do you really think the Nazi's would have stopped at europe?

Germany is what, the size of Texas or less? It takes grunts on the ground to hold a country, there were barely enough germans for what they were chewing on, if they weren't on trying to take over country after country without us trying to stop them they would have ran out of manpower before leaving europe.

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:58 pm

Jeng wrote:
sohpriest wrote:I agree Burz, Screw them all. Lets pull eveything back and let the rest of the world sort it out. Let it all go to pot. We should worry about our own and let France be the world police for a while. Then maye they people would see evreything we have done isn't bad. Then everyone would say where is America. Why are they letting this happen? Why don't they step in. I mean crap there wouldn't be and Eu if we hadn't stepped up in WW2. Just one big Germany. Sorry of topic. I am glad to see Derfel say they need us.

I doubt Germany could have held on. The lines would definatly be different, but Europe would not be one big Germany if they won WW2.

Who was going to stop them? It took 4 years of everything we could throw at them on 2 fronts. And I don't think they could have took down the USA in the 1940's. would have been hard for them to attack across the ocean and hold such a huge land mass. We are talking the entire US army at home if we had stayed out of it. And by that time they would have been trying to rebuild a land in ruin. They could have salvaged little from England and if they even took Russia there wasn't a great deal left. I don't know if they could have ever took Russia. Alot of territoty.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Jan 30th, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Ah.. the arrogance...
Sneaky bastard...

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Jan 30th, 2006 at 2:54 pm

sohpriest wrote:
Jeng wrote:

Who was going to stop them? It took 4 years of everything we could throw at them on 2 fronts. And I don't think they could have took down the USA in the 1940's. would have been hard for them to attack across the ocean and hold such a huge land mass. We are talking the entire US army at home if we had stayed out of it. And by that time they would have been trying to rebuild a land in ruin. They could have salvaged little from England and if they even took Russia there wasn't a great deal left. I don't know if they could have ever took Russia. Alot of territoty.

It has little to do with outside forces stopping them. It has more to do with the fact that controlling a very large, constantly expanding nation was very difficult at the time. They would have torn themselves apart.
I've been deleted!!

Return to “General Discussion”