Ya'll probably already seen this

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Jeng
Elite Member

Ya'll probably already seen this

Postby Jeng » Dec 18th, 2005 at 3:21 am

Saw this linked earlier, found it interesting, figured ya'll would too if you hadn't already seen it.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm
I really need to change this sig

Nad

Postby Nad » Dec 18th, 2005 at 8:28 am

cool
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 18th, 2005 at 9:36 am

damn - bulletproof its not. So are those "dents" a good indication of the brusing you'd have if you were shot and not penetrated by a pistol bullet?
EatMoreLead aka EML

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Dec 18th, 2005 at 10:06 am

i was wondering the same thing. i figure that thing is pretty well planted on the ground (notice it never gets knocked down) now if it were me, i wouldn't take 100% of that impact seeing as i'd be knocked back and lying on my ass.
I've been deleted!!

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Dec 18th, 2005 at 10:43 am

Yeah, those would be large bruses, but at least you would still be alive.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Keyser Soze
The Devil

Postby Keyser Soze » Dec 18th, 2005 at 11:30 am

EatMoreLead wrote:damn - bulletproof its not. So are those "dents" a good indication of the brusing you'd have if you were shot and not penetrated by a pistol bullet?

For your information, body armor material is designed to work when worn by a human.
Humans are compressible.
IIIA material will work when put on a person or over 4" of ballistic clay, but if you just put IIIA material over concrete or over boards, it will fail."

So I'm guessing it would work better on humans?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Jeng » Dec 18th, 2005 at 11:45 am

I found the "bruising" from the AR-15 to be rather interesting.

For a bullet so small it sure does transfer alot of energy.

Would have been cool to see what kind of bruise a 50. deagle would do. I got this feeling that the damage it does against someone with body armor in CS does in no way equate to the damage it would do to that clay. :roll: While a Five-Seven is designed to penetrate body armor and has a slightly smaller bullet than an AR-15.
I really need to change this sig

Keyser Soze
The Devil

Postby Keyser Soze » Dec 18th, 2005 at 12:11 pm

Would it be possible for a man to survive 3 AK-47 rounds with armor? You know, I'm actually serious while asking this.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Best_predator
Banished to Siberia

Postby Best_predator » Dec 18th, 2005 at 12:26 pm

I would go as far as 1 body shot through armor with ak will rip persons body apart O.o
Sneaky bastard...
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." ~ Goethe

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 18th, 2005 at 1:05 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Would it be possible for a man to survive 3 AK-47 rounds with armor? You know, I'm actually serious while asking this.

Yes, if the body armor in question also had ceramic balistic plates inserted as well. Buddy of mine took three hits from an AK spray - two in the chest and one to the side. The plate stopped the two to the chest (barely) but the hit to the side penetrated since there's no plate covering that part. Luckily the bullet went straight thru at a shallow angle, so the exit wound wasnt so bad - he was hospitalized for awhile but eventually made his way back to fight a couple months later.

Just an addition - the IBA's we wear (interceptor balistic armor) are designed to stop only 9mm and below, fired from a handgun/pistol. It's also designed to stop hand grenade fragments/shrapnel. I'm pretty sure it'd stop a shotgun slug as well. And of course it's made so an extra level of protection can be inserted to the front and back of the vest (ceramic plates). Each plate weighs abut 12-13 lbs and are about 1 1/2 - 2" thick (we wear two total) Those plates are good one time only - if in battle, you get shot a second time on the same plate, it might not stop the round like the first one did.

I'd post pics, but that probably breaks all sorts of OPSEC rules.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Dec 18th, 2005 at 1:44 pm

good read, and good info k2, one of my fraternity brothers got a purple heart when he got shrapnel from a grenade in him in his second tour of iraq

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 18th, 2005 at 3:32 pm

b0ba wrote:good read, and good info k2, one of my fraternity brothers got a purple heart when he got shrapnel from a grenade in him in his second tour of iraq

I thought you only get Purple Hearts post humerously?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 18th, 2005 at 3:35 pm

no John Kerry got like 3 - and he is alive - well sort of
EatMoreLead aka EML

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 18th, 2005 at 3:48 pm

EatMoreLead wrote:no John Kerry got like 3 - and he is alive - well sort of

And what did he do with those exactly? Throw em away? Melt em down? Frame em? I can never remember because he has said all of the above.

Nad

Postby Nad » Dec 18th, 2005 at 6:00 pm

Purple heqart requires that you are injured in the line of duty if memory serves me correctly. Medal of Honor, on the other hand, has only been given to a small handful of people that lived to tell about it.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Burzum » Dec 19th, 2005 at 8:44 am

The Box 'O Truth is a big thing at another forum I visit (glocktalk.com) You should check out some of the other tests. They're pretty interesting...Like how many walls a bullet will go through if shot in doors etc.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Return to “General Discussion”