Chronicals of Narnia

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Chronicals of Narnia

Postby Oreo » Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:52 am

Just got back from the movie here on opening night and would like to say I rather enjoyed it. I had high hopes for the movie based on reading the entire series in middle school and was only slightly disappointed in the fact they tried to cram books 2-7 into the movie, so you don't get to... *love* the characters as much as you do by reading through all of them. That aside, the movie was very well done and very close to the book. They tried to stay slightly politically correct, which was a mistake in my mind, but still had traces of Christianity in the movie which they should have gone all out on. That's what was potrayed in the book, so why not stay true to it?

Anyway, good stuff, 8/10, worth seeing.

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:32 am

CS Lewis says he did NOT intend for the books to be Christian in nature - it was just sort of divine coincidence. He does have a large volume of religious books that are short and good reads.
EatMoreLead aka EML

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Dec 10th, 2005 at 10:08 am

C.S. Lewis to 5th graders
'I did not say to myself 'Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia'; I said 'Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen'.

He made up many of the stories as he grew up. He also wrote them after he turned from being an agnostic to the Church of England
"I am Jack's smirking revenge."

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 10th, 2005 at 10:29 am

EML I have some swampland in New Orleans to sell you...

I read the Narnia series in 5th grade and it remains one of my all time favorites.

Gonna take my little nephews to watch it this weekend.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Dec 10th, 2005 at 1:18 pm

The Great Divorce is one of my all time favorite reads.

as for narnia, looking forward to seeing it this weekend.
I've been deleted!!

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Dec 10th, 2005 at 1:53 pm

Books are always better than movies, unless the book sucked in the first place.
And trying to cram more than one book into the same movie, is assuredly a bad idea.

I think I'll save my money for better things.
I've been deleted!!

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 10th, 2005 at 1:56 pm

I dunno, LOR was as good in movie form if not better, so that old adage doesn't hold true for me. Also, I refuse to pickup a Harry Potter book, the movies are plenty good for me.

Also, I know this is not what you meant, but the books they make for movies particularilly suck - you know what I mean, the novel based on the movie sort of thing - I mean a good screenplay does not necessarily make a great book, just as a great book does not always make a great screenplay.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:13 pm

EatMoreLead wrote:I dunno, LOR was as good in movie form if not better, so that old adage doesn't hold true for me. Also, I refuse to pickup a Harry Potter book, the movies are plenty good for me.

Also, I know this is not what you meant, but the books they make for movies particularilly suck - you know what I mean, the novel based on the movie sort of thing - I mean a good screenplay does not necessarily make a great book, just as a great book does not always make a great screenplay.

I always thought LotR was an overrated series in the first place...
I've been deleted!!

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:19 pm

I don't think LotR movies even came close to being as good as the books. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies. They are three of my favorite ever, but to say they are better than the books. IMHO they are not. I will wager the same holds true with this as well. I think it will be awesome, but still feel the books will be better as always. I do agree though, novels based on movies suck.

Phoenix
Elite Member

Postby Phoenix » Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:36 pm

The problem is not that you think that the books are better than the movies, its that you think the books or the movies are good at all.
Former HF clan member, server admin, all around troll

"You don't do things right once-in-a-while. You do them right all the time."- Vince Lombardi

Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Deleted User » Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'll give credit to Tolkien for inventing the fantasy genre as we know it. He created a very detailed world (that was lacking in any real life or vibrance), but his story writing was just horrible. And hobbits? I mean, wtf is up with a bunch of gay midget halflings, and how do they even survive in that kind of setting? It's absolutely preposterous and, to attempt believing it, is an insult to a person's intelligence.
I've been deleted!!

carnage

Postby carnage » Dec 10th, 2005 at 3:13 pm

Benedict wrote:Hey, don't get me wrong. I'll give credit to Tolkien for inventing the fantasy genre as we know it. He created a very detailed world (that was lacking in any real life or vibrance), but his story writing was just horrible. And hobbits? I mean, wtf is up with a bunch of gay midget halflings, and how do they even survive in that kind of setting? It's absolutely preposterous and, to attempt believing it, is an insult to a person's intelligence.

So are you saying that all fantasy, science fiction, and fiction in general insults a person's intelligence? Suspension of disbelief. Some people are better with it than others. The people that can suspend their disbelief will tend to enjoy those types of movies better. This is not to say one type is better than the other. I'm sorry you can't enjoy those movies like others can, Benedict, but to say it's preposterous and an insult to a person's intelligence is just ignorant.

Carn

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Dec 10th, 2005 at 3:29 pm

Benedict... last book series we talked about was the Hitchhikers series, and you didnt like it either, even tho it's arguably one of the best sci-fi comedy series ever made.

You were wrong then, and you're way wrong now.

Go away :P

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Dec 10th, 2005 at 3:46 pm

Ben was molested by a hobit when he was younger. He now cant find fantasy enjoyable at all :P
Servers gone and all of a sudden people have opinions of K2, weird

sohpriest

Postby sohpriest » Dec 10th, 2005 at 4:23 pm

It's absolutely preposterous

I thought that was what fantasy was about. Using your mind to imagine things that don't exist. I bet you had a boring childhood. I mean you think the hobbits could not exist. They were isolated. The world went on all around and they had little kowledge other than stories told by those that ventured out. Then in the end the real world does find them. Until then everyone was to busy killing each other to care about their little part of the world. Sounds a lot like the tribes in the rainforrest or in africa that go on like they have for centuries. You don't have to like the books or the films but don't say they insult peoples intelligence. And don't compliment a guy then say what he did was crap. Just my opinion.

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Dec 10th, 2005 at 5:23 pm

wow benedict...how can you say such things about that. Did you read the books or did you just watch the movies? Either way, it seems to me you b-line for the romantic comedy isle when you go to blockbuster huh?

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 10th, 2005 at 6:16 pm

damn guys, is it just me, or was he MAYBE joking about hobbits? So defensive on these boards...
EatMoreLead aka EML

Burzum
Benefactor

Re: Chronicals of Narnia

Postby Burzum » Dec 10th, 2005 at 6:26 pm

Oreo wrote: I had high hopes for the movie based on reading the entire series in middle school and was only slightly disappointed in the fact they tried to cram books 2-7 into the movie, so you don't get to... *love* the characters as much as you do by reading through all of them.

I just got back from it today. They didn't cram all the books into the movie. The movie was just book 1.Maybe you should read them again ;) I wouldn't be suprised to see them make a few more Narnia movies.

It was a very good movie. They stuck very close to what CSL wrote originally which always makes movies more enjoyable. They made the focus of this movie on Children, which I suppose is a Children's story but I would have liked to see a PG-13 version. More beating of the Lion and more intense violence in the battle sequences. Also, less plastic in the props :) They did a pretty good job with the fight scenes though. I still cried a few times :oops:

I give the movie 4 stars.

My rating system has Inspector Gadget with 1 star and Return of the King with 5 stars.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

JayPhat
Elite Member

Postby JayPhat » Dec 10th, 2005 at 8:57 pm

I don't think that you are giving Tolkien enough credit. I mean, each book is EXTREMELY detailed and yet leaves alot to the immagination. Hell, he created the entire elvish language on his own for Christs sake. How many of you knew that? Tolkien was an expert linguist as well as an excellent writer.

Anyone who disagrees can have a nice warm glass of STFU and go away.

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:24 pm

I have only read LtW&tW and it mirrored it pretty closely. I couldn't see where they could have drawn from the other books, but I haven't read them either.

I saw the movie tonight with my 6 year old son and he loved it. I was a bit surprised at the level of violence for a movie that was trying to sit on the fence of both secular and christian views. I was *edit* not *edit* disapointed by this as it fit into the way the book was written almost perfectly.

I was very pleased and hope they do some more of the books.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Maverick
Elite Member

Postby Maverick » Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:32 pm

They'd be idiots to base each movie on more than one book.

7 books + 7 movies = $$$.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."
-Edmund Burke

Monarch

Postby Monarch » Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:58 pm

EatMoreLead wrote: Also, I refuse to pickup a Harry Potter book, the movies are plenty good for me.

You don't know what you're missing out on then. The first 2 Harry Potter movies were very good, and gave justice to the books.

The last two Harry Potter Movies should actually have their prints burned! The movies sucked, and skipped over half the information needed for the sequals to make any sense at all. They should bring back the director of the first movie to do the 5th Harry Potter movie, and then maybe the movie will be half ass good. I say Half-Ass, because he'll be putting things in the movie that people who Have Not read the books, won't have a clue as to what's going on.

Burzam wrote:
My rating system has Inspector Gadget with 1 star and Return of the King with 5 stars.

Burzam, if you give Inspector Gadget a 1 on your scale, then would Super Mario Brothers or Streetfighter movies be a -3 or -2?

Servo

Postby Servo » Dec 11th, 2005 at 12:01 am

And hobbits? I mean, wtf is up with a bunch of gay midget halflings, and how do they even survive in that kind of setting? It's absolutely preposterous

I agree completly. To prove the point, I wen't to my web browser and typed in http://www.gaymidgethalflings.com/ and http://www.medievalmidgets.com/ . Lo and behold, no one owns EITHER domain. Q.E.D.

Back to the origional topic, I saw a piece on CNN or one of those 24 channels about how disney was marketing the movie as christian alegory to evangelicals in the hopes of tapping into all that Passion of the Christ money. This is a GreatIdea and I wish more studios would attempt it.

Speciffically, I think king kong would make a great christian alegory. Kong (Jesus) fights TRex (Satan) then goes to a big city (New York = Jerusalem) is driven up onto the empire state building (cross) and is killed by (for) our bullets (sins).
"I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider, and I decide what is best."

EatMoreLead
Benefactor

Postby EatMoreLead » Dec 11th, 2005 at 12:16 am

not to be blasphemous, but the fact that so many stories fit into the same frame as the life of Jesus' MIGHT just be because the people who wrote the Bible wanted to make a good story too. 1 villian, 1 hero, violence, death and new hope = one powerful plot line, heck it's been working for 2000+ years.
EatMoreLead aka EML

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Dec 11th, 2005 at 12:51 am

EatMoreLead wrote:not to be blasphemous, but the fact that so many stories fit into the same frame as the life of Jesus' MIGHT just be because the people who wrote the Bible wanted to make a good story too. 1 villian, 1 hero, violence, death and new hope = one powerful plot line, heck it's been working for 2000+ years.

Or the Bible could be following similar story lines as the Illiad and Odysey but without all the hero worship...
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Return to “General Discussion”