Movie Review: The Weatherman

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: EatMoreLead, Nad, Suck.

Suck.
Benefactor

Movie Review: The Weatherman

Postby Suck. » Nov 7th, 2005 at 12:37 pm

I saw The Weatherman this weekend. While it received mixed reviews from critics, it was, imo, a very good film cinematically. As far as entertainment value, that's a tough call. It reallly depends on your mood and your tastes. I, for one, liked it a lot, but my girlfriend... not so much. It's a hard film to buttonhole into any one genre, so the best that I can describe it is that it's a tragic, yet comedic, existential narrative dealing with life's expectations versus the reality of human existence in today's world.

Nicholas Cage plays Dave Spritz, a Chicago weatherman trying to get his screwed-up life back on the right track. He is a kind of sympathetic anti-hero, so that you dislike his character, but find yourself rooting for him nonetheless. All of his relationships are dysfunctional, and the plot is anchored on several of these. The acting is superb, not only by Cage, but also by the other players, especially Michael Kane (his father) and Gemmenne de la Peña (his daughter).

Because Spritz's life (at least in his eyes) is a trainwreck, the movie is at times quite depressing, but it is also punctuated by sometimes dry, sometimes dark, sometimes absurd, sometimes ironic, but always very funny comic relief. All told, I'd give it 4 1/4 stars out of 5.

-Grant.

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for the review suck. Its on my list right behind jarhead of movies i want to see.

Has anyone noticed fkn cost 30 bucs to go watch a fkn movie with 1 person now days.

I swear 5 years ago it was like 4 bucs a ticket
ClanKiller | Shade

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:21 pm

Its $6 here and $5.50 before 5
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:24 pm

Nice, well in dallas its as much as like 7-8 bucs a ticket.

Add 1 drink, 1 popcorn and a hotdog and ur at 30 bucs for 2 people
ClanKiller | Shade

Nad

Postby Nad » Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:34 pm

Then eat at home dick, who the hell gets a fuckin hotdog at a movie theater anyway?
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

b0ba

Postby b0ba » Nov 7th, 2005 at 6:34 pm

i personally have to get popcorn and soda when i go to the movies...i always tell myself im not gonna cuz its like 10$ more but then that smell gets to ya...its kinda like weed, you are like no no no...mmmmmmmmm hell yeah

Nad

Postby Nad » Nov 7th, 2005 at 6:53 pm

b0ba, just sneak it in with your man purse, you know there is room.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Nov 7th, 2005 at 11:19 pm

It's $8.50-9.50 a ticket here, but you don't have to worry about the popcorn, all the fat-ass pretender health conscious gimps have made the popcorn inedible and the low carb or whatever the fuck oil they use smells rancid so there's no desire to get any. I don't even bother with the theatres anymore, I have access to a 60 inch plasma with a kick ass sound system pretty much any weekend I want :)

Tim~

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Nov 8th, 2005 at 1:14 am

Rather than watch the crapy movies coming out, I buy the knock off action figures at Walgreens and reenact the boredom.
“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When neither is on your side, change the subject and question the motives of the opposition.â€

Mouser
Elite Member

Postby Mouser » Nov 8th, 2005 at 1:59 am

HA!!! BRILLIANT!!!

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Oreo » Nov 8th, 2005 at 3:26 am

People wonder why pirating is so popular. I still hit the theaters for big hits that deserve it, but with the cost of gas, tickets, and vending at the theater, it's hard to resist downloading subpar movies instead of spending $20. Maybe they will get the hint when the movie doesn't sell worth shit and stop hiring bad actors. Thanks for the review on this movie though, I might actually have a reason to see it in the theater now. I like these types of movies, not so straight forward with more of a real life type feel to it.

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:16 am

Well some of u numb nuts dont got no woman or dont get any fkn dates so sitting at home watching ur pirated movie is the best option.

But with that in mind having a woman(or man - nad) can be expensive - or dating in general.
ClanKiller | Shade

Nad

Postby Nad » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:21 am

Did i touch a nerve shade? Everyone here has seen my wife and kid, you on the otherhand have been hiding your broad.

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:25 am

not hiding, come over to my house.

no nerves touched either. You can touch if you want though, just get me drunk first.
ClanKiller | Shade

Nad

Postby Nad » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:32 am

No thanks, i spend too much time touching my own nerve, no time for anyone elses :P

Shade
Elite Member

Postby Shade » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:48 am

dont tease me
ClanKiller | Shade

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:51 am

I smell testosterone and boiled mushrooms.

NB4LOK

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Nov 8th, 2005 at 1:36 pm

Go hijack some other thread you ass mongers.

-Grant.

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Nov 8th, 2005 at 4:20 pm

I have to agree with suck on this one. I admit the movie was well done cinematically, but it didnt give me the same amount of entertainment. I wouldnt call this a dark comedy but more of a sad comedy if that makes any sense at all (yeah i know it doesnt..)
Servers gone and all of a sudden people have opinions of K2, weird

Catalyst22
Elite Member

Postby Catalyst22 » Nov 8th, 2005 at 5:28 pm

But the question on everyones mind is "What does Shade think about this subject, and how will that create a viable economic situation in Canadistan"?

Return to “General Discussion”