Folding@Home - Team Hardfought

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: Nad, Suck., EatMoreLead

Suck.
Benefactor

Re: Folding@Home - Team Hardfought

Postby Suck. » Nov 26th, 2011 at 2:03 am

2.5M pts.

-G.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Nov 26th, 2011 at 7:54 am

Nice. I think you're the only one folding at the moment. I dont have a system that can effectively do it anymore, and Jenn's doesnt fold either.

Keep it alive Suck! lol

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 27th, 2012 at 7:56 am

If anyone is curious, Team Hardfought just cleared 10 million points a couple days ago. Suck is still the only one folding. Way to go lol!!

KillerClown

Postby KillerClown » Aug 27th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Nice, don't have an extra computer to fold with anymore, gave my secondary to my best friend so he'd have a computer.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Nad

Postby Nad » Aug 27th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I was just promoted to IT manager for my company(oil and gas safety standardization and training, 80 employees). I'm considering some scheduled late night folding at corporate hq...
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Mar 25th, 2013 at 2:39 am

We (I) could really use some backup about now. ;) In the last couple weeks, we slipped out of the top 1000 teams.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I just cleared 4M points. What about you? :wink:

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 22nd, 2013 at 7:37 pm

No nvidia or ati card in my new system :( However...

http://fahbench.com/ - benchmark for testing your system performance for folding. Since compuations like this are moving to an OpenCL platform, Intel's HD4000 integrated GPU is a possiblity for use. You can't fold with it as of this posting, but the benchmark test can utilize it, so you can get an idea of how it would perform. It's not nearly as fast as a dedicated GPU, but it's about 6x faster than an i7 Ivy Bridge CPU on it's own. My numbers were very slightly higher than the results on the download page.

So maybe someday I can start folding again. I could use my CPU now, but relatively speaking it's just too slow.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:01 am

I'm just using 2 dual core CPUs. My dual GPU card started overheating a year or so ago, so I had to stop using it to fold.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:14 am

Really? Huh... well maybe I'll see how this 4 core/8 threads CPU does. When I ran the benchmark on the CPU portion it utilized all cores and threads. And the HD 4000 was still 6x faster, hah.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Apr 24th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hit a snag - setup my laptop to fold. Kicked off fine, no issues. About 20 min into it, my system auto-shut itself down. With all four cores going at 100%, temperature levels became too high. The ivy bridge class CPU's will shut themselves down if the threshold temp is reached. I'm glad it does that, but this is annoying that my system can get that hot from just running all four cores at 100% for such a short period.

I downloaded a free app called speccy (same ppl who make ccleaner) to see my CPU/mainboard/SSD temps. At idle the CPU will be at around 46 C, mainboard at 42-43 C. Start folding and both will shoot up to over 80 C within a minute or so. I wanna say that the threshold temp for CPU shutdown to kick in is 100 C but I haven't verified that yet. I may have to throttle the CPU's to be able to fold with them for any length of time.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 25th, 2013 at 12:40 am

Do you have your laptop on a cooling pad? I use a ZM-NC2000 Notebook Cooler on mine, and it keeps the temps down. I used to fold on my old laptop, and it would overheat, which also degraded the battery. On this one, I haven't had any issues, as I bought the notebook cooler for it before I started folding on it.

Unfortunately, my desktop is no longer able to fold using the GPU. I'm not sure what changed, but at some point, probably just due to it being a few years old, the GPU fan stops working when it's been running for a while, and the system crashes.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Aug 24th, 2013 at 12:16 am

It's gonna' be tight, but I should break 5M points before the end of the year. Well, as things stand, at any rate. In reality, it should be smooth sailing to reach that mark by the end of the year. I'm currently folding with my dual core desktop and my dual core laptop, both 64 bit. No GPU folding involved currently, but I may try to get that rolling again on my laptop. My desktop's dual GPU graphics card, which did a wonderful job and netted me a lot of WU's over the years, has a fan issue whereby running at 100% GPU usage for an extended period of time either turns the fan off or locks it up. Either way, it causes my GPU to overheat and gives me a brief BSOD followed by a bios message upon reboot notifying me of a (bogus) failed overclocking attempt, and which requires poking around in the bios to pretend I resolved said issue before the computer will boot.

At any rate, my dad just bought new computers and gave me both his and my mom's "old" ones, which are just a few years old. Both are at-the-time top of the line Sony Vaio rigs with dual core, 64 bit processors, which in theory, should almost double my current PPD output. 8) I would already have them grinding, but I have to sit down and take the time to wipe them both and do a fresh install using the freaking factory system disks that they came with, rather than an actual copy of Windows. One of them comes with Windows 7 Home, but the other comes with Vista Home. I do, however, have a Windows 7 upgrade that I could apply to the latter. I'm happy enough with Vista 64 Ultimate on this rig, as it meets my needs, and I've been very happy with it. Also, as I only intend to fold on those rigs, I'm not sure that it's even worth my time jacking around with a Windows upgrade on top of a system disk Windows install, rather than an actual copy of Windows. That sounds like a recipe for a frustrating, wasted Sunday. Thoughts on whether its worth it? Have any of you actually done a Windows upgrade on top of a system disk Windows install?

At any rate, in the last few years, after telling dad I could no longer function as his personal help desk attendant on call 24/7 for when he inevitably hoses his computer(s) each month, he got an IT guy. I do, from time to time, fix things in minutes that this jerkoff says are permanently broken, and clean up messes that resemble what you'd expect by trying to remove a splinter with a chainsaw. Now, this is what happens when my pop gets a malware infection which his trusted tech guy is either unable or unwilling to fix. :lol: Still, my pop swears by the guy (he's just such a nice guy, and so knowledgeable, don't you know), and his beloved Norton Internet Security. I started to lecture him on how shitty Norton is (and no, the irony that I was using Norton as of the first page of this thread is not lost on me), and how he should switch to NOD32 (Is that even the best option anymore?) but stopped myself, as I figured his continued use of it might continue to net me a couple perfectly good computers every few years. :mrgreen:

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Aug 24th, 2013 at 12:24 am

Just to throw a little fuel on the fire I'm trying to light under our folders' proverbial asses, if none of you top points producers make any contributions by the time I hit the big 5M mark, I'll have more points than the next three top producers combined. Although, to be fair, if Keith was folding like me, he and Jenn would have just one user accumulating points, so I should probably count them as one person. Anyhow, get to folding, fkrs. That means you Keith. And Paul.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 25th, 2013 at 9:47 am

Gonna pass. I am enjoying keeping my electric bill under $100/mo this summer ;)

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Oct 25th, 2013 at 5:21 am

All I want for Christmas is my folding buddies. It's gonna' be down to the wire whether I break the 5M point mark by 2014, but at my current pace, I will pass the mark on Christmas day. Just thought I'd share. Fkrs.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I finally broke the 5M point mark. Perhaps now I'll check out that cryptocurrency you were talking about that rewards folders, Keith.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » May 23rd, 2014 at 10:33 am

Nice Grant :)

I edited the initial post to add a small team status plugin offered by 'Extreme Overclocking'. Grant, you're still the only one folding for the Hardfought team :) In regards to my latest news post, I am folding for the Curecoin team and actually earning income from it, as each coin is worth a lil over one USD right now.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Jun 16th, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Who is folding as Atavar? They're generating some serious PPD.

-Grant.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:01 am

I pulled off of Curecoin and am now folding again for our team. Curecoin is still viable but I have all the coins I want from it at the moment. I also re-updated the front page plugin to reflect our team. I'm gonna get us back into the top 1000 :P

Nad

Postby Nad » Jul 8th, 2014 at 4:44 pm

How many coins is that? I'm folding CPU only, and it is extremely slow going, but I don't have a good enough video card to GPU fold.
Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Jul 8th, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I mined about 1000 coins via regular methods (ASIC mining, SHA-256) and raked in about another 65 or so from folding. Price per coin is pretty low right now (although it's jumped up over 35% in the last 24 hrs), right at 13000 satoshi as of this post. More info - https://www.bittrex.com/Market/?MarketName=BTC-CURE - the coin is still very new, hoping the price will climb again to respectable levels.

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 10th, 2014 at 8:19 am

We've broke back into the top 1000 as of last night. Go Hardfought hah :D

K2
Administrator

Postby K2 » Aug 19th, 2014 at 11:29 am

Just passed you in total points Grant :D

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Suck. » Aug 23rd, 2014 at 12:01 am

Heh, I'm running CPU folding on two 5+ year old desktops and a laptop. Glad to have some help. ;)

Grant.

Return to “General Discussion”