Folding@Home - Team Hardfought

Anything and everything goes here... post away!

Moderators: Nad, Suck., EatMoreLead

Postby Suck. on Jan 9th, 2006 at 12:12 pm

Update: Hardfought F@H is now in the top 2% of all active F@H teams. We've got a couple of new people, but some of our initial folders have been slacking off *ahem* BILLY...

Here's the HF F@H page:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... mnum=46304

Please go download it and run it folks. This is a really worthy cause, and you can set the program to use any % of your idle CPU that you want. It's very easy to set up, but if you would like help, I'd be more than happy to hold your hand. You can download the clients here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

I recommend just getting the console client, but if you do want the graphical client, get the console client as well and put it in the same directory. The graphical client is nub, and you'll thank me later.

-Grant

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby K2 on Jan 9th, 2006 at 6:23 pm

But the gfx client is soooo pretty ;)

I installed the console, set the cfg file, then installed the gfx client on top of it so I could use the advanced features of the console with the gfx client. Oh snap.

And thx for the heads up Suck :P

K2
Administrator

Postby Suck. on Jan 10th, 2006 at 9:02 am

Well, to be honest, I installed the graphical client first, then copied the console client into the directory. I almost never run the GUI client, but it does give me a nice registered install directory and comes with a few extra files that the console client has to download on its own. Like K2 said, if you do use the nub-ass GUI client, you can configure advanced options with the console client which cannot be changed in the GUI client. Please note that if you plan on running F@H while gaming, you should use the console client, as the GUI client ties up video card resources, whether minimized or not.

Also, if anyone has a multi processor machine (or hyperthreading/dual core), you can set up two instances of Folding@Home, so that you really are using your idle CPU, rather than just 1/2 of it (or 1/4 if you're really spiffy). This is only possible using the console client. The instructions on the F@H site are pretty straight-forward, but if you do need help, again, just ask me. I've got it set up on my hyperthreading P4, and it works like a charm. Oh, and I don't think this has been mentioned above, but there are also clients available for Linux boxes and Macs.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Deleted User on Jan 13th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

oh fine, i'll start using the graphical client again (it pwns and you know it!!)

I've been deleted!!
Deleted User
*poof*

Postby Oreo on Jan 13th, 2006 at 4:29 pm

Okay, I downloaded it and I will help with my dual core 2.75ghz AmD when I'm not using it :D

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Suck. on Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:32 pm

Oreo, lemme know if you would like any help setting it up to run off both processors.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Oreo on Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:51 pm

I read a few reviews on how to do it.. but I'm not sure I want to. It's nice and stable at only 50% usage plus I can do things without bothering it or having it bother me. Good stuff.

Oreo
l33t scr1pt0r

Postby Jeng on Feb 10th, 2006 at 11:26 am

K, I'm just running it on a 3200 and I'm sitting at #4?

SLACKERS!!

What are all those monster systems that have been built doing with all their spare cycles?

I haven't had any problems with f@h so far, just need to crank down my overclock sometimes due to running a fairly stock heatsink.

I really need to change this sig
Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Nad on Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:15 pm

this POS computer at work is gonna take 10.5 days to finish a WU, i will try it on my new rig when i get home, but i expect less than 20 hours at max. Do we get anything for this stuff? Not like personally, but does HF get anything for doing a fair amount of this processing? I have 3 or 4 extra computers laying around here, i could set them all up running this shit if its worth the effort.

Hardfought Forum/Game Server Admin and all around board troll
Nad

Postby Nad on Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:28 pm

Set it up on my home pc just a little while ago. Suck, im gonna hit you up for some "how to" for the console version setting it up for dual-core. That system is basically unused 18 hours a day, and as far as i'm concerned it can use everything both processors have to offer during that time, i just dont feel like reading all the FAQ on settin git up.

Holla tonight Suck, or you=axed.

Nad

New Folding@Home Stats Site

Postby Alter on Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:18 pm

Postby Suck. on May 6th, 2006 at 10:14 pm

Start folding for a cure, and add your name to this list:

The Hardfought team has been folding away, lead by our powerhouse N2. We're about 2 months away from breaking the top 500 out of about 44,000 active teams. The setup is very easy, and especially if you run your computer 24/7, you could be putting your electricity and your idle CPU time to better use.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby K2 on Aug 20th, 2006 at 9:38 pm

Just revitalizing this... if ya havent joined, or did and havent used the software in awhile, please do so. It's for a good cause. Team 46304, Go go go :P

K2
Administrator

Postby Burzum on Aug 21st, 2006 at 4:51 am

I could get into it! :D

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Burzum
Benefactor

Postby Jeng on Aug 21st, 2006 at 1:41 pm

I recently ended it on my computer along with ending it on my girlfriends. The summer heat is just too much at the moment, been coming home to find my processor runnin at 55 celsius since I don't run the AC when I'm at work. Removed Folding from my startup and re-enabled cool n quiet.

Once the tempuratures drop again I plan on starting back up again. Been 20 some odd days straight with it over 100 degrees F.

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby Suck. on Oct 25th, 2006 at 5:38 am

I just got my computer up-and-running again, and have rejoined the folding ranks. I'm now using EM3, which lets me monitor about a dozen folding processors at once. It sits in the task bar, can be used to create a GUI simulation from the console clients, calculate stats on estimated completion time etc., and best of all, it will show you the WU data for what you're working (all cpus at once if you like) on if you're running in service mode. \o/

IMO, Hardfought needs a Folders forum... Join up fkrs.

-G.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Jeng on Dec 2nd, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Just started mine back up with this cold snap, and I'm still at 4th?

Guys, I run it while playing games with no issues whatsoever, don't be afraid to just leave it running, I seriously doubt it will lag you out.

Though I guess those who have hyperthreading cpus it might cause problems with?

Jeng
Elite Member

Postby CyberPitz on Feb 23rd, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Just started mine again here at work..I don't think I'm doing too bad for just using it for a few months.

CyberPitz
Elite Member

Postby Suck. on Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

It's time to rally support for the Hardfought Folding team again. C'mon folks, it's a simple download with easy setup, and uses idle cpu time. Mine runs as a service in the background, so I don't even notice it normally. I do have to say though that, unlike any other program, TF2 requires me to stop the service while playing (even BF2 and CS:S are fine running F@H).

You can run this on Windows, Macs, and Linux boxes for CPUs, and there's a GPU version out if you have a newer ATI card. Finally, if you've got a Playstation 3, you rack up major points running the newest addition to their clients.

If you want any suggestions on setup (although it's very easy), just ask me, and you have my time. Remember, not only does this make Hardfought look good... it's also helping to find cures to some major diseases.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Jeng on Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Folding at home now has a beta SMP (multi-processor) program. Although they say its set up for use with 4 processors ideally, it does run just fine on a dual core.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ekasson/foldi ... Client.EXE

Jeng
Elite Member

Re: Folding@Home - Team Hardfought

Postby Nad on Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

bump bump

I started doing this again a few months back and passed nearly everyone on our team. If you guys can spare the resources, fire this up.

Nad

Postby K2 on Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Me and Jenn already started back up a few weeks ago - using the new GPU executable, it crunches about 10x the data in the same amount fo time that the CPU variant does.

K2
Administrator

Postby Suck. on Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, Jenn is racking up more PPD than I am, and I've got 3 boxes folding ("my" 2 borged machines are still running FAH5, so they stopped folding units :| ).

Hardfought is actually making up some ranks again, albeit slowly.

-Grant.

Suck.
Benefactor

Postby Nad on Apr 17th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Where would one find the GPU executable.

Nad

Postby K2 on Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Link to GPU2 beta F@H client - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

You can get the version that puts a lil icon in your systray and lets you visually see the protein being folding, but I recommend getting the console-only version instead.

You'll need an 8xxx series or higher nvida card or a 2xxx series or higher ATI card to use the GPU2 client.

K2
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Login  •  Register

x

#{title}

#{text}